Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 02:40 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Para View Post
Looks like the price tag is still hanging off the steering wheel.

LOL...that's the key and my husband's idea of a labeled key chain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 03:35 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
We got about 3" down here last night, but it's warming again, so I don't expect it to last. It's cold and windy today though.

My puppy is now 11 weeks old, and is outside right now, recovering his stash of old shoes he drug out to the back yard. He didn't think much of the snow when we went out early this morning, but he decided it was OK this afternoon.

He likes me to go out with him when he has to do his biz. I usually hang out with him for a while afterwards, throwing a toy for him or chasing him around a bit, but the wind got me today. He decided he didn't want to come back in the house just yet, so he's presently on his own. He'll let me know when he wants to come back in. He did his best to talk me into staying out, though… pulled every puppy trick in the book on me.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
We got about 3" down here last night, but it's warming again, so I don't expect it to last. It's cold and windy today though.

My puppy is now 11 weeks old, and is outside right now, recovering his stash of old shoes he drug out to the back yard. He didn't think much of the snow when we went out early this morning, but he decided it was OK this afternoon.

He likes me to go out with him when he has to do his biz. I usually hang out with him for a while afterwards, throwing a toy for him or chasing him around a bit, but the wind got me today. He decided he didn't want to come back in the house just yet, so he's presently on his own. He'll let me know when he wants to come back in. He did his best to talk me into staying out, though… pulled every puppy trick in the book on me.
what kind of puppy?!

Old 11-16-2013, 04:21 PM

279 posts, read 486,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
what kind of puppy?!
That!
And pics, please!

Old 11-16-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
what kind of puppy?!
He's an Aussie cross. I think he has some Border collie in him; a couple of his litter mates looked more like Borders, but he's blocky and big boned, typical of the Australian Shepherd.

There were 8 pups. 6 of them were blue, 2 black, and one was albino. The albino pup went to an albino rescue ranch in Post Falls. She could see and hear, and had some pale color in her coat. I think that if she can see well enough, she would make a good cow dog. The folks really wanted her; they flew down to pick her up.

The parent dogs are owned by the best cowboy I know. He singlehandedly wrangled a herd of about 300 head for a big cattle buyer for years, out in the middle of the Owyhees, and both the dogs are amazing cow dogs. This guy swings a 60 foot rope the size of a fishing line and never misses. The dogs round up the cows, and he catches the calves on nothing but open range.

The mother dog got lost in Boise after she weaned the litter, so he now has a sister to my pup. I don't know where he got his dogs, but he sure looks for the best. My family has always has good dogs, but his family has better ones, for sure.

He has 4 brothers who are also buckaroos, and they have about 9 dogs altogether. When the brothers come together to work cows, only one runs the dogs. All the dogs are commanded to lie down, and they all do it in unison and stay planted. Then, 2 at a time are allowed to get up and work the cows in turn. After their turn, the dogs go back to their place in line and wait again. When the day is done, they're released, and they all go jump in their own trucks on command.

I've never seen this in a group of different dogs, ever. Those guys are all exceptional dog men, and every one of their dogs has come from some real good working lines.

Incidentally, the Australian Shepherd originated as a breed right here in Idaho and Montana, in the ranches that lie along the Great Divide. No one knows for sure how they came about, but there was a sport that popped up who passed on his dominant physical qualities to all his offspring. Their bobbed tails are natural, as the blue and red merle coloring. All are recessive traits- most of the pups are either black or red, and about 1/2 have long tails, but they all share similar conformation.

We have a much more rare working breed out here too, one that hasn't ever become an AKA breed. They are similar to the Aussies, but are smaller and lighter. Apparently, they were bred on only a few ranches, by guys who all knew each other and swapped their best dogs around.
Old-timers have told me they were once a little more common than they are now. The breakup of the big old spreads probably caused the dogs to become scattered and out-bred with other working breeds.

They have a couple of different names for the same dog- I know them as Pannish, the name that was passed on to my family. We have owned 3 or 4 that came from a ranch in Great Falls.
They're often sable, black w/ brown points, or a solid blue-grey color. The blues have the same colored eyes and nose as their coats.

The last pure Pannish dog I've seen was at the Weiser Fiddle Contest. Her owner is a young girl who's from Great Falls, and knew nothing about the breed. Unfortunately, the dog was spayed. I sure would have liked to get one of her puppies!

They are real range dogs. Traveling 40 miles a day is nothing for them. They do it day after day, working cattle all the way. Incredibly tough and hard working, but they're more like the Border collie in disposition. They're usually only friendly to their owner and family, and always on the job. They're plenty smart too, but most don't have the cheerful and gregarious personality of an Aussie.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:48 PM

My Jip.
He's bigger and blockier than a pure BC and doesn't have that slinkiness that so many BC's have. More of a clown like an Aussie and has the natural bobbed tail. Smart as a whip and can go all day long. It would embarrass him for me to say so, but he's my baby.

Here he is balanced on the back of my Wrangler seats waiting for me while I was in the grocery store. Goofy dog. He's about 50 pounds.
Attached Thumbnails
Merry Winter!-23885_536776919680382_301599431_n.jpg  

Old 11-16-2013, 08:15 PM

551 posts, read 804,031 times
Quote:
Still snowing!
Wow! Very nice photos. Thanks for posting them.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:29 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
Quote:
My Jip.
He's bigger and blockier than a pure BC and doesn't have that slinkiness that so many BC's have. More of a clown like an Aussie and has the natural bobbed tail. Smart as a whip and can go all day long. It would embarrass him for me to say so, but he's my baby.

Here he is balanced on the back of my Wrangler seats waiting for me while I was in the grocery store. Goofy dog. He's about 50 pounds.
Awesome dog Misty. Just look at that beautiful face!

Old 11-17-2013, 09:48 PM

Yup! He's beautiful. And he sure has a lot of Aussie in him. He reminds me of a lot of our dogs very much.
And he has the kind eye on him, too.

I like Borders a lot, and they do have a slinky grace to them that I like, but for a good companion, an Aussie is hard to beat if they can be with you all the time. Does he talk a lot? Many of them do. It seems to be as common a trait as the bobbed tail. They don't sweat the small stuff like a Border does.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yup! He's beautiful. And he sure has a lot of Aussie in him. He reminds me of a lot of our dogs very much.
And he has the kind eye on him, too.

I like Borders a lot, and they do have a slinky grace to them that I like, but for a good companion, an Aussie is hard to beat if they can be with you all the time. Does he talk a lot? Many of them do. It seems to be as common a trait as the bobbed tail. They don't sweat the small stuff like a Border does.
Thanks! He grumbles and huffs and can get his point across well. You can tell him the name of a particular toy or animal and he'll get it and he is a fantastic cat herder...knows each one by name. He is kind but not cuddly but will put his head on my knee and look up with those eyes. Yikes.

I got him for $100 in the Big R parking lot in Mead outside of Spokane. He was bred by a Spokane tribal member making money for Christmas. Best money I've ever spent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho