Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2014, 07:40 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,523 times

Advertisements

I have a few questions about real estate taxes in NID. We are planning a move to either Bonner or Boundary county later this year, and I am compiling info in pursuit of that goal.

1. What is the usual assessment per $100,000 of assessed value on non-ag residential property?

2. How much of a break does it gain one to own a ten acre agricultural property, on a percentage basis?

3. How does the $81,000 exemption work?

Thanks for any clarity on these questions, I cannot seem to find a set assessment rate on either of the county assessors' webpages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 09:24 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,312,980 times
Easy to find the answers with google; Bonner County, Idaho Information :: http://co.bonner.id.us/

Boundary Conty Assessor

Old 01-09-2014, 07:00 AM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
The sites you link to are the same sites I referenced in the OP, and do not answer the questions I posed, with the possible exception of the $81000 exemption.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:34 AM

274 posts, read 472,004 times
I had wondered about the property taxes also. In the housing/land listings that show past property taxes, a $70,000 house has $1300 a year in taxes and a $160,000 has $600 a year in property taxes. I haven't found any rhyme or reason for it yet. It's almost like reading my electric bill, the cheaper my bill, the higher per kwh I pay. It boggles my simple mind. Oh well, off to go fishing.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:47 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,312,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
The sites you link to are the same sites I referenced in the OP, and do not answer the questions I posed, with the possible exception of the $81000 exemption.

Well, I did not explore the websites until your last post. Evidently they are all but worthless and to some degree malfunctioning/incomplete. In other words, garbage.

Offering goog;e a different command I came up with this: Bonner County, Idaho Information :: http://co.bonner.id.us/ and Bonner County, Idaho Information :: http://co.bonner.id.us/ , on the right margin there is a link to a spread with a current table for the tax levy, perhaps, with the sample and the levy you can calculate the answer. Here: Sandpoint and Bonner County Idaho Information and Statistics about 2/3s down the list is an average rate. And, finally this: http://tax.idaho.gov/reports/EPB00703_01-15-2013.pdf , page 8.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:12 PM

148 posts, read 501,477 times
I was surprised how high taxes are in NID. I did explore before we moved but was unaware of other taxes added. Library, trash, school bonds, school levy's, ambulance tax, fire tax, transmitter tax, re forestation tax, and more. I was also very surprised that non property owners can vote on tax issues. That is, when school levy's come up for a vote, a renter can vote yes to raise my taxes. Many states only allow property owners to vote on those issues. Also, Idaho is a little backwards in there taxing for ambulance. The tax is based on assessed value. To me that makes no sense. My house is worth more than my neighbors so I pay more for ambulance service. I would think that it should be a flat fee like trash. How do they put a value on life, by your assessed home value? I'm actually bringing this up to my state reps to see if this and school levy issues can be changed. The 81k exemption works only if the property is your year round residence. If its a second home you won't get the exemption.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:32 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,288,574 times
Dave,

Say your house has an assumed market value of $250K.

Then say your county assessment comes in at $180K. Yes, by law it should be market value, but there seems to be a lag effect and the large % of lower priced houses does drag down assessed v. market), so $180K assessed on a $250K market house would not be unheard of.

If you live in the house and have filed the proper paperwork with the County (important!!!), you can apply the $81K homeowner's exemption.

This brings down your taxable assessed value to $99K.

Once there, the rate is about 1.25%.

Thus your annual property tax is $1237.50

A couple of thoughts...

1.25% neither excites nor depresses...but...it is on the higher side of what is tolerable (for example, 0.5% in a favorite place of ours in Massachusetts).

The lag between assessed and market is something I am grateful for. Very.

The homeowners exemption cuts both ways. While living in our home, I am glad. When I have had to live overseas, the lack of that exemption is a tax that is not appreciated.

Hope that helps.

S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho