Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2015, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,730 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

After living 2 years in Phoenix I am moving to Pocatello,Idaho. Can somebody tell me name of few good apartments which I should look for.

I also want to know which internet provider is better here?

and how is T mobile network in this area?

Thanks!!.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 03:13 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,250,708 times
I just moved here in Oct 2014, so not an expert in the area.

No idea on Apartments, but traveling through the area for the past six months, I would say either stay to the northern areas of Pocatello, possibly into Chubbuck, to the south. Most those I pass while traveling in Pocatello do not look inviting and in some areas, appear to be filled with college students.

I believe Cable One has the fastest speeds in most areas, but Century Link, in some areas is pretty good. I have Cable One, and so far, no large complaints. (That's strictly for internet; for TV I use Dish...which sucks.)

Their map shows coverage is good in the Pocatello to ID Falls area, but not great outside those areas. However, T mobile has been trying to erect a new tower in Chubbuck due to dropped calls in the Chubbuck (suburb north of Pocatello) and northern Pocatello area. So, far, all locations have been rejected, but they did a new one a few weeks ago, so who knows, they might get a permit.

So, even if their map show great coverage, it may not be good for a large number of people on the network at the same time. If I were you, and you want to travel outside the area and have coverage, it would be advisable to jump to Verizon or AT&T.

Will you be working here?

Old 05-17-2015, 03:17 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,442,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngupta24 View Post
Hi all,

After living 2 years in Phoenix I am moving to Pocatello,Idaho. Can somebody tell me name of few good apartments which I should look for.

I also want to know which internet provider is better here?

and how is T mobile network in this area?

Thanks!!.
Hi ngupta,

Welcome to the Idaho forum. You probably know Pocatello is 50 miles south of Idaho Falls in eastern Idaho. I encourage you to search the Idaho Falls forum for answers.

Somehow you don't sound overly happy about your move, or at least that is how your post came across to me. T Mobile is not the strongest cell service in eastern ID currently; however, that depends on a new tower T mobile is trying to place in Chubbuck. Depending how far you'll be traveling, it may end up as one of the best choices in Pocatello/Chubbuck sometime down the road. Check the coverage maps most of the big four carriers show and you'll see who provides excellent coverage. Two are really good.

About apartments, can you tell us more so our recommendations are appropriate? If you're going to be an Undergrad at ISU my recommendations would be different than for a grad student or post doc. If you'll be working, give us a rough price range of what you want to spend on an apartment. I'd hold off on ISP ' s until you know which apartment complex you'll be in and the amenities. You'll have 5-6 good options from which to choose, if you subscribe to an ISP yourself.

F5 will have good recommendations for you.

Looking forward to more info from you.

MSR

Old 05-17-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
I just moved here in Oct 2014, so not an expert in the area.

No idea on Apartments, but traveling through the area for the past six months, I would say either stay to the northern areas of Pocatello, possibly into Chubbuck, to the south. Most those I pass while traveling in Pocatello do not look inviting and in some areas, appear to be filled with college students.

I believe Cable One has the fastest speeds in most areas, but Century Link, in some areas is pretty good. I have Cable One, and so far, no large complaints. (That's strictly for internet; for TV I use Dish...which sucks.)

Their map shows coverage is good in the Pocatello to ID Falls area, but not great outside those areas. However, T mobile has been trying to erect a new tower in Chubbuck due to dropped calls in the Chubbuck (suburb north of Pocatello) and northern Pocatello area. So, far, all locations have been rejected, but they did a new one a few weeks ago, so who knows, they might get a permit.

So, even if their map show great coverage, it may not be good for a large number of people on the network at the same time. If I were you, and you want to travel outside the area and have coverage, it would be advisable to jump to Verizon or AT&T.

Will you be working here?
Ha, ha f5. We were both posting at the same time. I think our info matches quite well. We both needed more info to recommend an apartment or apartment area.

I guess how soon the OP is moving would be the other info that would be helpful.

MSR

Old 05-17-2015, 03:28 PM

2 posts, read 4,730 times
Hi,

thanks for the replies.

I will be working here and starting my professional career life. I am looking for 1 bhk apartments in price range upto 600$.

Thanks.

Old 05-17-2015, 03:51 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,250,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Ha, ha f5. We were both posting at the same time. I think our info matches quite well. We both needed more info to recommend an apartment or apartment area.

I guess how soon the OP is moving would be the other info that would be helpful.

MSR
Yes, I guess we posted about the same time. Like they say, great minds think alike

As for the cell tower; Chubbuck did give an initial approval for a new 80 foot tower in Stuart Park, but from what I have heard, there is a large push to stop it. I guess time will tell. But will they ever beat AT&T or Verizon in this area? Which is too bad, we need more cell competition; not only here but all over the USA.

For apartments I would try zillow...
Pocatello ID Apartments For Rent - 46 Rentals | Zillow

Trulia
Pocatello, ID Apartments for Rent - 155 Rentals | Trulia

And in the Chubbuck area....
https://www.google.com/search?newwin...71.slsBPFmCWxI

Find some you like from the internet, post the locations, and I can try and tell you if the area is decent or not. As with any large city, there are some areas I would not move into and I have two big dogs and more handguns than most gun stores.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Yes, I guess we posted about the same time. Like they say, great minds think alike

As for the cell tower; Chubbuck did give an initial approval for a new 80 foot tower in Stuart Park, but from what I have heard, there is a large push to stop it. I guess time will tell. But will they ever beat AT&T or Verizon in this area? Which is too bad, we need more cell competition; not only here but all over the USA.

For apartments I would try zillow...
Pocatello ID Apartments For Rent - 46 Rentals | Zillow

Trulia
Pocatello, ID Apartments for Rent - 155 Rentals | Trulia

And in the Chubbuck area....
https://www.google.com/search?newwin...71.slsBPFmCWxI

Find some you like from the internet, post the locations, and I can try and tell you if the area is decent or not. As with any large city, there are some areas I would not move into and I have two big dogs and more handguns than most gun stores.
Yes, f5, great minds

One never knows how those contested cell phone towers will work out when there is group opposition to it. Like I originally wrote, T Mobile MAY be the best in Poky/Chubbuck later. I wouldn't say it's the best now and who knows what will happen in the future.

To the OP, thanks for the information. I won't suggest a couple of places as I believe they exceed your budget and needs. F5 has given you good links to search for an apartment. I totally agree with f5, if you can stay north of ISU housing it is generally better.
Should there be a rental around Creek Road that would be good. Sometimes people need to rent condos there. I don't know the price as it would vary based on what the condo has in it.

I hope you will post further questions in the Idaho Falls forum. We can use more posters there.

Good luck with your move

MSR

Old 11-29-2015, 06:02 PM

7 posts, read 9,352 times
I was at a townhouse on the corner of Shetland and Bench (close to Highland school). However, they are 2 bdrm and around $600. Nice elementary school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho