Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 09:11 AM

742 posts, read 1,128,730 times

Advertisements

I would also agree that Kimberly and Hagerman are the better of the Southern Idaho cities, in my opinion. They are quiet, clean, and close to some amazing recreational attractions. I would also throw Gooding in there too as sort of a secretly neat spot. It's a bit more removed to high desert and farmland, though.

I think in the next tier would be Buhl, and then Shoshone. Never really cared for Burley (and surrounding towns), Filer, Wendell, or Bliss or Jerome at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 02:16 PM

29,214 posts, read 22,351,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelliekb View Post
Which of the south east cities have the small town "cute?"
Local owned shops, farmers markets , anything like that ? Still looking between Twin east towards Pocatello ....
uh- that would be Twin Falls. Even though it's the 'big city' of the area, it ain't all that big, except by Idaho standards. 44,000 people is not large anywhere else. Drop a zero off that figure and you have all the others I mentioned on my list, pretty much. Jerome may be 10,000 now, but that's the only exception that comes to mind.

Out here, 'cute' is subjective. Really a lot of our towns were created by the railroads as the rails were the only way to get crops to markets. Most are either slightly down at the heels or are really run down, depending on lots of factors, as most of the business districts in them are around 100 years old or more, and haven't really changed except for age and benign neglect. Later owners take care of the necessaries, but most often not the optionals like 'cute'.

In little towns here, farmer's markets consist of going over to a neighbor's place and making a deal on some u-pick out of his berry patch or garden. Local shops will sure be locally owned, too. Out here, going to McDonald's is a half-day spent on a treat for the kids in a lot of places.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:13 PM

742 posts, read 1,128,730 times
Banjo is spot on.

If you want cute, you have to go somewhere there is a lot of money - that means tourists and higher costs of living. There are a few of those places in Idaho - Sandpoint, Ketchum, Hailey, McCall, etc. It's really hard to find what most would consider a "cute" small town in Idaho, unless you take a different definition of cute.

Maybe Grangeville, Salmon, and Moscow fit that definition without necessarily being high priced. There are a few other small towns out there, but like most of them, have their fair share of grit, grime, and hard wear.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:17 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,892 times
Lava Hot Springs is "cute".

I was impressed with the little downtown in Buhl when I drove through.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:32 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,892 times
Quote:
Which of the south east cities have the small town "cute?"
Local owned shops, farmers markets , anything like that ? Still looking between Twin east towards Pocatello ....
Here is a guide to Idaho famer markets...You would want to check out Region 5 and 6 in the link:

http://www.agri.idaho.gov/Categories...arketGuide.pdf

Looks like Twin Falls has a downtown market and another by CSI, and another in Jerome, Gooding, American Falls, Soda Springs, Pocatello...

Old 08-04-2015, 07:41 PM

19 posts, read 25,347 times
just to clarify , Im in Kingman Az, which at one time ...20 years ago was on its way to charming...than city council lost interest and decided if it did'nt line their pockets, they did'nt want anything new coming in...now its gone way down hill, so for me 'cute' means town council cares about the town ,not just themselves, or their kickbacks, they want new ideas, new blood, not talking just about retail,but civic pride , maybe , Im not even sure, just some pride in general. and not in everyones business either.
I know I'm rambling, but Im so frustrated here, and I'm looking to a good final spot to move.
so any in put is so appreciated.
Thanks for the farmers market link. you all have tons ! that is exciting for me!

Old 10-15-2015, 02:54 PM

19 posts, read 25,347 times
Well banjomike, and all other very helpful people , we came , we saw, we loved !
We will be moving in ! All of you had such great advice, we drove from Boise, (too city) to Idaho Falls , and there was not a place we didn't love! We are looking at Kimberly, kinda smack in the middle. Found some wonderful properties and are just waiting for home plans and financing to come together!
Thanks again for all the great tips...
I will still be lurking about and am sure to have more questions...

Old 10-15-2015, 05:08 PM

29,214 posts, read 22,351,209 times
Welcome, Kelliekb!

I hope you're very happy in your new home, and that all turns out well in the move.
Drop by from time to time and let us know how its going with you and yours.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:52 PM

450 posts, read 1,503,140 times
Wow I found this thread and it's perfect it answered all kinds of questions...….. Thanks Kelliekb for starting it.....

LeeB

Old 10-06-2019, 11:29 PM

6 posts, read 3,785 times
Quote:
Well banjomike, and all other very helpful people , we came , we saw, we loved !
We will be moving in ! All of you had such great advice, we drove from Boise, (too city) to Idaho Falls , and there was not a place we didn't love! We are looking at Kimberly, kinda smack in the middle. Found some wonderful properties and are just waiting for home plans and financing to come together!
Thanks again for all the great tips...
I will still be lurking about and am sure to have more questions...
Hi Kelliekb,
It’s been 4 years i assume the house has already been built? How do you like it so far? Hubby and i are looking in Twin Falls area(more of city of Buhl), any issue with snow in the winter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho