Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2008, 05:43 PM

5 posts, read 18,491 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about moving to the Sandpoint/ Sagle area. from California. We have 2 little girls 4 and 19 months. My 4 year old is Autistic, and needs to have special school help. Anyway we would really like to buy 10 acres or so, and am wondering about the area. Any info would be greatly apreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 08:11 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,840,763 times
There are several of us who post about this area...do some searching here and you'll learn quite a bit, then we can go into specifics if you still have questions.

The "short answer" is yes, it's heaven to raise kids here. About a bazillion things for kids to do from sports to arts to music to community stuff, etc. School programs at Schweitzer, kid programs at Panida, etc.

Expect to spend $200K-plus for 10 acres that are good for building. Less if you buy someplace with real road/access challenges, steep hillside, marshy, etc.

If you find listings, post them in a new thread, and several of us will give you our honest (maybe even blunt) opinions.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:40 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
I live outside of Sandpoint and have 3 sons that have Asperger's (autism spectrum disorder). The Sandpoint area is a great area to raise children in the sense that it is a safe area, many children, and decent schools. There are some things for kids to do although I do not think there are a lot of child oriented activities. As far as the autism my sons all have/had IEP's in school. Unfortunately a law was passed this last year that makes the schools themselves have to bills and approve any outside help for children within the school itself. My children once had aides in class with them, but no longer. There simply isn't the money or personel within the school district to allow much help within the school as far as aides. Also it was just in the newspaper yesterday that 15 teachers in the Lake Pend Oreille School District will be cut before next Sept. when school starts. Many teacher in these schools now already teach 2 or 3 classes instead of one in the high schools. At the Hope Elementary School they will be combining most of the classes so you will have like 1st and 2nd grades together, 3rd and 4th grades together etc. I don't know if Sandpoint is doing the same but I assume there are repurcussions there as well. I love this area very much but cannot in all honesty say we have high quality education or a lot for children or teenagers to do. There is the obvious, such as the lake in the summer and any activites associated with the lake, some classes for grade school children offered through the rec. dept., some area activities such as 4th of July activities, Arts and Crafts Fair etc., but not a lot of things really directed at children. I had my daughter in ballet at one point in Sandpoint and the old building was freezing in the winter, hot in the summer and offered sub-par classes. Then I brought her to gymnastic. That building is hot no matter what time of year and in the summer it is so stifling they only give classes early in the morn or early evening. I think Coeur d' Alene is making more attemps to offer things. I know they will have a large indoor water center and offer more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho