Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 02:03 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,718 times

Advertisements

Permanent daylight savings time is equivalent to moving over one time zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 02:21 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Permanent daylight savings time is equivalent to moving over one time zone.
Thanks.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:58 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
I lived for years in Indiana and then AZ with no time change. I loved it. I support ending it everywhere.
Me, too. The need for the time change came about over 80 years ago when electrical generation was scarce and expensive, and it's conservation was needed. Back then, farming and most industry was only done during the daylight hours, and was important enough that they needed the power during the hours when the citizenry could get by without it.

That reason vanished long ago, but the time change became traditional, even though it no longer made any sense.

There are a lot of our traditions that make no sense, but keeping them when they are so problematic now makes even less sense.

Daylight savings time actually now presents more danger to our children in the winter, when they are going to school in the dark and coming home in the dark, than the benefits are worth. That's the worst part of Daylight Savings Time to me.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:02 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
I be happy if they ended it.

If they do, I'd like to see us move to MTN time. Dark would come awfully early in the winter otherwise.

Dave
I agree- I think the entire state should be in the same time zone. But that could really mess up a lot of our services that are time dependent, so I think getting a time zone change would be much more difficult than abandoning Daylight Savings Time.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:31 PM

332 posts, read 483,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
I live in WA and I’m not seeing anything about trying to change time zones onto Alaska standard time. Where are you seeing this?

ETA: never mind...I figured it out.
I went the wrong way with my math the first time, and now that I'm having to show my work I was completely backwards.

So for others who might be confused (which apparently I am one those)...

Permanent Daylight Saving Time = Standard Time + 1 hour

So in this particular instance, we have:
  • Mountain Standard Time = UTC - 7 hours
  • Pacific Daylight Time = UTC - 7 hours
  • Pacific Standard Time = UTC - 8 hours
  • Alaska Daylight Time = UTC - 8 hours
  • Alaska Standard Time = UTC - 9 hours
If Washington state moves to permanent Pacific Daylight Time, they are essentially moving to Mountain Standard Time.

Which is exactly not what I said at all, and now I am 0 for 2 in this thread thanks to Misty. Good grief.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:40 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
It is economically expedient for North Idaho to stay in the same timezone as Spokane/Pullman. The eastern side of the panhandle have little economic interaction with Montana, as the closest "town" is two hours away, (Missoula). There are a whole slew of commuters in NID who cross over into the Spokane area for their employment, and vice versa. Further down, there is a lot of daily crossover between the university towns, (i.e., Pullman, Moscow).

Even though North Idaho is longitudinally the same as the western part of the Treasure Valley, there is a lot less economic interaction between north and south than there is between the Rathdrum Prairie and the Spokane area.

You folks down south? I suspect you are more tied to Salt Lake than anywhere. Makes sense for you to keep on SLC time.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-14-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
It is economically expedient for North Idaho to stay in the same timezone as Spokane/Pullman. The eastern side of the panhandle have little economic interaction with Montana, as the closest "town" is two hours away, (Missoula). There are a whole slew of commuters in NID who cross over into the Spokane area for their employment, and vice versa. Further down, there is a lot of daily crossover between the university towns, (i.e., Pullman, Moscow).

Even though North Idaho is longitudinally the same as the western part of the Treasure Valley, there is a lot less economic interaction between north and south than there is between the Rathdrum Prairie and the Spokane area.

You folks down south? I suspect you are more tied to Salt Lake than anywhere. Makes sense for you to keep on SLC time.
If my math is right this time, then if NID moved to permanent MST, we'd be in the same timezone as Spokane.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:00 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiden_is View Post
If my math is right this time, then if NID moved to permanent MST, we'd be in the same timezone as Spokane.
The whole of Washington state is in the Pacific Time zone, (PDT/PST, Tango). Oregon is split between Tango and Sierra, (part of Malheur county is MDT/MST, Sierra; the rest of OR is PDT/PST)

p.s. I don't like that www.timeanddate.com makes no distinction between UTC and Greenwich, (GMT). Greenwich changes when going onto Standard/Daylight time. UTC never changes throughout the year.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-14-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
The whole of Washington state is in the Pacific Time zone, (PDT/PST, Tango). Oregon is split between Tango and Sierra, (part of Malheur county is MDT/MST, Sierra; the rest of OR is PDT/PST)
That's current alignment, yes.

What I'm saying is that IF Washington goes to permanent PDT (UTC-7), that is equivalent to MST (UTC-7). Which means that IF Idaho dropped Daylight Saving Time and put the entire state on MST permanently, we would be in the same UTC offset with Spokane year-round.

Lots of ifs, but it has the potential to give both sides what they think they want.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:10 PM

1 posts, read 359 times
Guys, we have this inane debate every year. The legislature tries to mess with it every year. There's a reason why it stays the way it is.

We are not Arizona or Florida. We are a high latitude state, especially in North Idaho.

If you stay on permanent Standard Time (winter time) all year, the sun will rise in North Idaho at 3:45 am around June 21st. Staying on permanent ST means the sun sets at 3:45pm in the winter (which it currently does).

Moving to permanent Daylight Saving Time is a better approach - reasonable summer sun rise times, later evening sunsets, and in the winter it will stay lighter later. However, then the issue is that the sun won't come up in the winter months until almost 9:30 am.

In Boise it is a little less extreme, but nonetheless, being on permanent DST or permanent ST still puts the sun-rise or sun-set at the wrong times during the solstices.

In my opinion, it is much better to have the long summer evenings and late sunsets, so us 9-5 working stiffs can get out and do stuff after work on the weekdays. Makes no sense to have more sunlight in the early mornings when we are all in bed, or before work when we can't actually use it.

This is why the legislature killed Rep. Zito's bill faster than a speeding bullet. We are blessed with long summer evenings here. Permanent DST would keep those long summer evenings, but come at the expense of late winter sunlight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho