Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 11:08 PM

561 posts, read 438,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Excellent replies from everyone on Idaho.

Our story is a bit opposite of the norm of people coming to Idaho to take advantage of a slower pace and more rural lifestyle. We have been here in the CDA PF area for 14 years but came from Del Norte County, CA which is much more remote and rural compared to here. Before that we lived in Cool/Georgetown, CA which is closer as the crow flies to civilization but with a much more treacherous and time consuming commute to get to it. There are plenty of remote places in California that require the same ingenuity and and dedication to rural lifestyle as Idaho. We moved here to provide more opportunity for our sons who are now grown and on their own. Now we find ourselves missing the remoteness (not the state) while still enjoying the abundance of medical, shopping, and dining that we drove 1.5 plus hours to get to before moving here. We have acreage but are too close to town for our liking. It is a dilemma that we have yet to make a decision on what to do, sell or stay. If we sell we will likely find something more remote in Idaho but that brings with it a concern which everyone has addressed, access to medical and other necessities. We aren't old or infirmed at 53 but still have to be cognizant of future needs and marketability of whatever we buy.

If anyone has a crystal ball or other thoughts please let us know! And like others said, it all depends on where you live in Idaho.
Great post and topic! We, too, will love the slower pace and slower lifestyle and it will be a great environment to raise our daughter and to teach her American values and hard work. One day I hope she has interest in taking over the business we will undertake when we relocate up there. If not it is ok, she can sell it all when we pass and do what she wants with the cash.

Part of my upbringing was living in rural Texas, and quite frankly I'd argue snow/elevation notwithstanding it is a very hard lifestyle on some key factors like distance, amenities, groceries and etc (remember, Texas is very large and very spread out). CA does have a similar feel once you really start trekking east/southeast from the coast. That is a hard life out there as well. The village we lived near in the hill country in TX at that time had 1 school for K through 12 and we only had a total of 25 or so students K-12 if I remember correctly. Milk, eggs and such were 45 minutes away, turning from one dirt road to another and again before hitting pavement just to get to the store. I remember never going without and not having any problems growing up in that life so my parents did a great job with those circumstances. In fact those years where some of the best years in my childhood, you know, back when kids could actually BE kids and you could leave your doors unlocked. And that is something I'd like our daughter to experience as well.

Living in various sizes of civilizations since all throughout my adult life I can honestly say I'm looking forward to Idaho for more than just edible scenery. Though edible scenery is a huge bonus! [hot opinion coming] People take being close to and in civilization for granted in my opinion, things are too convenient and too "normal" that people become desensitized to life. Look around at people living in city centers or square in the middle of suburbia, they are like zombies. For example, take eating out. Where I live right now in rural suburbia we have dozens of places to eat and within 10 miles there are well over 100. So when my wife or I ask each other, "hey where do you wanna eat?" we always pause look at the other and say "I dunno where do you want to go?". Why? There are too many options and it is too convenient and it just doesn't make the act of going out to a nice dinner with your spouse special. Same thing with going shopping and etc. That may sound trivial to some but those who are already in rural ID (and or rural life period) will understand what I'm getting on about, when things aren't special you don't look forward to it and thus a little of life's enjoyment is shaved off. When I was a kid living in the country it was a special occasion to pack up the car and go to dinner with the four of us. Shopping and dinner was something to be looked forward to, it felt like a special reward. So along with that perhaps more importantly if you add that the larger the civilization you're in or close to the more perverse it becomes by humanity's default and that isn't a healthy environment to raise children in today's world. In our formerly nice upscale neighborhood we've now got homes selling to investment companies to rent (90%/10% investment company vs consumer buyer now), section 8, mutli-family inhabitants and now half-way houses. These are things you don't want to raise a child near and I'm not even talking about the crime, which we have unfortunately.

Starting at the first of the year I'll have a permanent remote job at the company I currently have been with for ~5.5 years so the income thing is an easy one to solve. Plus my wife works there too so she can also work remotely if we need the extra income. My mother and step-father are coming with us or just after once he retires and we already have family in the CDA area so that's a bonus. We take road trips often so we will see plenty of other human faces. Anyway, I've bloviated enough so if you've read all of this then good on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2019, 11:46 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,290,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post

Is Idaho really that hard in which to live, or should we continue the charade to scare away the weak and feeble who want to move here? And if so, in what ways?
No

Yes

Whatever ways to keep the superficially pleased away.

We are one celebrity movie away from being overwhelmed.

I dislike the huge, anonymous numbers, but I really enjoy the transplants who enhance my life and send of belonging.

S.

Old 11-03-2019, 01:13 AM

561 posts, read 438,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
No

Yes

I dislike the huge, anonymous numbers, but I really enjoy the transplants who enhance my life and send of belonging.

S.
Don't give hollywood any damn ideas...

As a future not superficial and not weak transplant from Texas I will be happy to assimilate and help nullify the wrong kind of voter coming from a particular west coast state.

Old 11-03-2019, 10:38 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
No

Yes

S.
Sorry, Steven...
Hollywood discovered Idaho before either of us was born. There have been quite a few hit movies that were filmed here.
So far, though, the state has mostly escaped the publicity radar that almost always surrounds the hit movies. I can't say what that is, but I don't expect it to last forever. It's really hard for the state that's the Glamor Girl of the West at the moment to stay anonymous.

I watched Arizona and Montana become the Glamor Girls, the first when I was young and the second when I was a younger adult. Once things change, they never change back to how it was at first again.

Old 12-01-2019, 11:15 AM

14 posts, read 11,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Right on, Redwood.
I know someone who moved from the urbanity of Denver to the wilds of California a long time ago to become a rancher, and everything he's ever said about California's remoteness agrees with your thoughts.

It doesn't pay to let your notions about a place rule the facts. That's why so many of those old abandoned shacks I mentioned were abandoned. When fancy confronts mother nature, mother nature always wins.

And Father Time always wins too. Misty was young when she was homesteading. Now that she's older, the facts are every year that passes spent on her former paradise will be another year when just trying to keep it up will be harder and harder.

It's not a fanciful notion to have for a person who's past 60 to homestead unless they have plenty of young folks with them who will stick around and do a lot of the work for decades to come. Age demands compromise between desire and the ability to accomplish the desire.

Don't expect things to ever get easier leading the rough life. They won't. Better to trim the dream first than to be stuck in the life later.
Excellent answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho