Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: WHICH of these towns would you choose to move to?
Coeur d’Alene 9 42.86%
Wallace 0 0%
Hailey 5 23.81%
A different town - if you choose this, name which town 7 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 09:36 PM

82 posts, read 460,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTJoe View Post
Agreed. We can type until we're blue in the face (fingers?) but ultimately you have to decide what will work for you.

Other things to consider:
-Does your "work-from-home" require high speed internet? Yes I need high speed internet - are there areas you would avoid because of that? Which places have the best internet?

-What kind of car do you drive? Can you afford to buy a 4wd/AWD one? Yes I will get a 4WD

All of my remarks apply to the northern area of Idaho. Others have commented on the southern portion. One exception is that somebody mentioned Idaho being 300 miles wide. That's southern Idaho. The Panhandle is only 50 miles across.
Ok thanks for the info...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2021, 09:47 PM

82 posts, read 460,123 times
Boone 1791, nm9stheham, banjomike Thank you for your messages. You mentioned some very good points - and didn't consider the road conditions/snow/ice - length of travel being delayed, etc. I will take all of your comments into consideration and really DO appreciate all of your help with my questions. Its unfortunate that one cannot ask a question freely anymore without getting shot down for NO REASON (ejay).

Thank you again.

Old 01-28-2021, 10:10 PM

45 posts, read 44,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangococonut View Post
Ok thanks for the info...
Notice, there was much more to my response (#31) inside the "quoted" section (all in BLUE). Somehow a portion of it got outside the box....but I went back and fixed it.

Last edited by MTJoe; 01-28-2021 at 10:20 PM..

Old 01-29-2021, 07:57 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,522 times
High speed internet is gonna be iffy outside of many of the towns, and maybe even within a few of them. How high of a speed do you need? I get by working from home with just older ADSL, but my on-line work needs are not real-time. (It is good enough for video conferencing with today's video conferencing technology.)

There is a thread in this forum about Starlink, a new satellite based internet. It would be worth your while to research that right now, and see when it will be available in ID. I think someone posting here has just bought it. That could open up your possible final choices of home location. (Just don't buy a place in a canyon if you want satellite internet.)

The initial test results from Starlink sound good and there is a lot to be done to help it get better. But long term, as people subscribe and the system gets loaded, then speeds will go back down..... to what level, no one knows.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:17 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
There is a "quote" icon that properly quotes other remarks.

Old 01-29-2021, 10:16 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangococonut View Post
Boone 1791, nm9stheham, banjomike Thank you for your messages. You mentioned some very good points - and didn't consider the road conditions/snow/ice - length of travel being delayed, etc. I will take all of your comments into consideration and really DO appreciate all of your help with my questions. Its unfortunate that one cannot ask a question freely anymore without getting shot down for NO REASON (ejay).

Thank you again.
You're welcome, mango.
I was pretty sure you didn't understand what our road conditions can be like- how could you if you've never been here?

The most important thing of all in your visit (or visits) here is to avoid rushing. Take your time with everything, slow it all down so you can take it all in and have some time to think about things and let your mind roll around it all.
The life here is simply very different from anywhere you have lived before. Try to come with all your expectations wiped off your slate, so you can see what things actually are like here without the obstructions of false beliefs fogging up the realities.

I'm sure that you'll find some pleasant surprises when you don't expect them, and you'll find some potential problems you haven't ever thought of before as well.

Don't think that life here is going to be so radically different there's no comparisons between where you live now and here; Idaho is still part of the U.S., and we all live with a lot of basic stuff that's everywhere nowadays.
It might take a long drive to the closest store, but you will still be able to find a Home Depot or a Walmart or an Outback Steak House.

But if your health is bad, our distances here should be something that plays a big part in a decision as to a place to call home. You don't want to be in the back of an ambulance any longer than necessary.
That too is part of our shared modern life.

Old 02-01-2021, 09:59 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times
Default Travel to and around Idaho

OP

You mentioned it will take several days to drive to Idaho. Where are you coming from, and where do you plan to enter Idaho? I would suggest entering one of two freeways for ease of access and winter road conditions. That means Northern Idaho via I90 through Montana, or I15 thru Utah and MT to I90, into Lookout Pass. That route would get you all the panhandle towns you have mentioned. After a week or so up north you can head south. Most people drive south thru Washington or Montana, but you can drive south to Moscow ID from CDL pretty easily, weather permitting. Idaho winter roads, North to South are not great at all. Seriously pause and think before heading out on a remote and unknown road. Don't depend on in car navigation or Google maps. They aren't always accurate the more rural you get. People really do get lost and stranded every year following Google maps.

The southern route has you come in on I84, either from Utah or Oregon (back roads thru NV would be ok too). Say you come up from Utah. You could turn north at Twin Falls and follow the good road to the Hailey-Sun Valley-Stanley area. From there you could explore Salmon and Challis. Then pick your way north, likely over towards Idaho Falls and north to Montana and I90, or west to Boise and north though Cascade, McCall and into Washington and into Moscow, and finally north to CDL.

From Hailey to CDL (or vice versa) is a full two day drive in the summer, so be prepared for longer in the winter.

I suggest you come up thru Utah and stay on I15. That will take you thru Pocatello, and on to Dillon and Butte MT, where you get onto I90. That takes you thru Missoula Montana and up to the ID panhandle towns. Then head south from CDL to see the southern area of Idaho, and exit Idaho for your home. That will get you a lot to look at on your trip.

Old 02-01-2021, 10:40 AM

Default Other Idaho towns to think about

I live in Mountain Home, ID, not a town you would choose. I've been here for 12+ yrs for work but have an RV to explore mostly southern ID, MT and OR. As you explore Southern Idaho you may consider Fairfield or Macky too. Small towns, on good roads, near mountains, trees and water. They both have basic services. Within a couple hours, or less, from Fairfield you could be in Hailey, Twin Falls and Boise. From Macky you would be in Idaho Falls or Pocatello. Both get lots of sun, are pretty dry mostly, but rain and snow come via isolated storms. Macky is the prettier of the two and a bit more remote. Fairfield has a small ski area of its own and great southern access to the Sawtooth mountains, and is only an hour to Sun Valley. If you are exploring southern Idaho they are worth a look. At least take a Google look.

Old 02-01-2021, 10:46 AM

Default Other towns to consider

Only a hour to o Sun Valley from Fairfield Idaho

Old 02-01-2021, 11:12 AM

High speed internet could be an issue for you. In Mountajn Home i pay for 40 megabits per second, and get 32 via dsl. A co worker lives 3 miles out of town and can get 4 meg only via a peer-to-peer antenna system. He doesn't get good enough cell service to use a 4g hot spot either. I would guess most small towns will be similar with dsl or cable in town proper, but won't extend out far at all.

Let us knowhow your trip goes. It sounds like fun!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho