Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 02:21 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
When I was growing up, a long time ago, DST was intended to have the sun up when kids were going to school. A protection for them to avoid harm or kidnapping when dark.
That's true.
Apparently, the Senator who sponsored the bill did some research and found that kids were going to school in the dark, but there were still fewer incidents that involved them in those morning hours than when they were coming home in the afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2022, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
If it passes it need to remain in Standard time to jive with the sunrise. From what I'm reading, that's not the plan.
I forgot to mention in my other posts that I agree with you, Cleo. I think Standard time fits our time zones the best, as it more closely follows the sun.

It worked just fine for centuries, and I think that's the one to return to a stick with. Daylight saving has always been an artificial way to tell the time, and it has always been a compromise between real and artificial.

It may have been useful once, but not any longer. Our natural clocks that we are born with have changed and never will. Standard time best fits human time.

Old 03-21-2022, 09:27 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendlytortoise View Post
WOW! I never knew Boise would be economically tied to Salt Lake City despite being a whopping THREE HUNDRED AND FORTY miles away!
For what it's worth, Boise to Coeur d'Alene is 380 miles. Working out of CDA, I dealt with different suppliers pretty regularly. In all that time, I can only think of 1 we used out of the Boise area, the vast majority were Spokane, Seattle or Portland based. There are few economic, geographic or cultural ties between N and S Idaho.

Old 03-21-2022, 09:34 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yup. A bill just passed the House to make Daylight Saving Time permanent in 2023.
Congress already shortened Standard time by almost 4 months a few years ago, so making Daylight Saving permanent really won't be much of a change as it would have been.

I noticed that shortness this winter, but I never knew Standard time had been shortened. I thought I missed the date to turn my clocks back late, but I accidentally hit the right date when I did it.

There are a lot of valid reasons for it.
-Darkness comes too early using Standard time in the late afternoons in winter, so all the traffic at end of work is driven in darkness, making the drive more dangerous.

-People tend to drink after work, and the early dark makes any impairment more likely to cause accidents.

-Kids are out more around 5:00 pm than in the early mornings.

-Life in general is slower and less congested and active in the mornings.

So the thought is to load up all the problems and dangers of darkness onto the early morning hours instead of splitting them up between morning and early evening.

We're so far north that making Daylight Saving Time permanent probably won't make all that much difference to us, but the further south one goes, the difference will be greater.

We don't have a large population here, either, so we aren't as affected by the problems states with higher populations have with Standard time.

Personally, I hope the bill passes into law. Losing that hour every spring always messes me up for a week, and our long twilight hours are my favorites of a day during summer.
Honestly, later daylight hours in the winter time would be the one selling point I can think of for N. ID going with Mountain time. Being on the eastern edge of the Pacific zone means early darkness. Particularly when being nearly 400 miles further North than Boise-daylight hours 49 degrees north are short!

Old 03-22-2022, 09:09 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendlytortoise View Post
WOW! I never knew Boise would be economically tied to Salt Lake City despite being a whopping THREE HUNDRED AND FORTY miles away!
I think the "economic ties" refers to the fact that they are the big cities in an isolated region, even if they are hundreds of miles apart. I used to live in SLC and I never had the impression that both cities are tied to each other economically, sure there is trade between the two cities but Boise and Portland are more tied imo. Boise is a NW city, several media outlets and businesses in the area have "Northwest" in their names and slogans, and I know of more people who travel to Portland (rather than SLC) for business needs and if they want to spend the weekend in the big city.

South East Idaho is a different beast because it has that tie to Salt Lake because of close proximity and religious culture.

Old 03-22-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Honestly, later daylight hours in the winter time would be the one selling point I can think of for N. ID going with Mountain time. Being on the eastern edge of the Pacific zone means early darkness. Particularly when being nearly 400 miles further North than Boise-daylight hours 49 degrees north are short!
That's true. A good reason for changing, too.

Old 03-22-2022, 04:05 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,637,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
I think the "economic ties" refers to the fact that they are the big cities in an isolated region, even if they are hundreds of miles apart. I used to live in SLC and I never had the impression that both cities are tied to each other economically, sure there is trade between the two cities but Boise and Portland are more tied imo. Boise is a NW city, several media outlets and businesses in the area have "Northwest" in their names and slogans, and I know of more people who travel to Portland (rather than SLC) for business needs and if they want to spend the weekend in the big city.

South East Idaho is a different beast because it has that tie to Salt Lake because of close proximity and religious culture.
So Boise would have a better fit, being in the Pacific Time Zone, than Mountain. Boise is a long way from other Mountain Time Zone major cities. E.g., Denver, Albuquerque.

Old 03-23-2022, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwest09 View Post
So Boise would have a better fit, being in the Pacific Time Zone, than Mountain. Boise is a long way from other Mountain Time Zone major cities. E.g., Denver, Albuquerque.
Not really.
Idaho just doesn't fit into either time zone very well. It straddles both zones too much, and really doesn't favor either zone.

Boise isn't very dependent on any other large metro very much; the city is so old as our state's leading city that Boise is a generator of trade much more than a recipient of trade from another metro.
Boise is like Anchorge - it does it's own thing and needs no special outside support to do it.

Dividing the zones as it is now, horizontally, would put Boise into the Pacific zone, but would leave the rest of south Idaho in the Mountain zone. And the rest of SID has more population than NID.

But if the zone was drawn vertically on the map and Boise was put into the Pacific zone, the Eastern Idaho corridor would still be left in Mountain time. It's the the #2 region in the state in population, just behind the #1, the Treasure Valley.

Really, the best change would be to simply follow the easternmost boundary of Idaho to set a change in time zones.
That would leave Idaho entirely in Mountain time. A strange bump of territory in E. Oregon that puts it into Mountain time would be cut away and placed into the Pacific zone. That bump does likely depend on Idaho, as its population is quite small.

This would also be the most advantageous for maximizing the daylight time in our state as well, especially in NID during winter. Idaho is too far east to really benefit in terms of extra daylight, but NID would get about 30 more minutes of winter daylight if it was in Mountain time. It wouldn't be as much in Boise, and would make no difference at all in EID.

Old 03-23-2022, 07:36 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,637,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Not really.
Idaho just doesn't fit into either time zone very well. It straddles both zones too much, and really doesn't favor either zone.

Boise isn't very dependent on any other large metro very much; the city is so old as our state's leading city that Boise is a generator of trade much more than a recipient of trade from another metro.
Boise is like Anchorge - it does it's own thing and needs no special outside support to do it.

Dividing the zones as it is now, horizontally, would put Boise into the Pacific zone, but would leave the rest of south Idaho in the Mountain zone. And the rest of SID has more population than NID.

But if the zone was drawn vertically on the map and Boise was put into the Pacific zone, the Eastern Idaho corridor would still be left in Mountain time. It's the the #2 region in the state in population, just behind the #1, the Treasure Valley.

Really, the best change would be to simply follow the easternmost boundary of Idaho to set a change in time zones.
That would leave Idaho entirely in Mountain time. A strange bump of territory in E. Oregon that puts it into Mountain time would be cut away and placed into the Pacific zone. That bump does likely depend on Idaho, as its population is quite small.

This would also be the most advantageous for maximizing the daylight time in our state as well, especially in NID during winter. Idaho is too far east to really benefit in terms of extra daylight, but NID would get about 30 more minutes of winter daylight if it was in Mountain time. It wouldn't be as much in Boise, and would make no difference at all in EID.

To me, my home in Boise is a good fit for Pacific Standard Time. When I travel to Pocatello or Idaho Falls, it feels more like a Mountain Time Zone State than Boise. Twin Falls, flip a coin, Pacific or Mountain.
And take a look at Nevada, extending the Pacific Time zone, farther EAST, than some of Idaho. We travel east from Boise to go to Jackpot, and wind up in Pacific Time. Go figure.

Last edited by jwest09; 03-23-2022 at 08:19 PM..

Old 03-27-2022, 09:18 AM

424 posts, read 579,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
When I was growing up, a long time ago, DST was intended to have the sun up when kids were going to school. A protection for them to avoid harm or kidnapping when dark.
Little bit of fallacy in you argument.
Example for 2022 in Boise
DST started Sun March 13, 2022 and ends Nov 6
Sunrise Sat March 12 was at 8:02AM MST
Sunrise Sun March 13 was at 9:02AM DST
Schools in Idaho start Aug 19 in most school districts
Schools in Idaho end May 22 of the following year in most school distrcts.
Sunrise Aug 19 is 6:54 DST or 5:54MST daylight well before school starts
Sunset Aug 19 is 8:41 DST or 7:41MST sunset well after school is over.
Sunrise May 22 is 6:13 DST or 5:13 MST sunrise well before shool starts
Sunset May 22 is 9:10 DST or 8:10 MSt sunset well after school is out
Shortest day of the year is Dec 21
Sunrise is 8:15AM MST
Sunset is 5:11PM MST

So given the above there is no advantage to DST, as a matter of fact it would be worse in the winter months and make no difference in the summer months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: