Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2023, 08:40 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,404,249 times

Advertisements

My old man used to say Idaho has only 2 seasons of the year; Late Fall and Winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2023, 02:01 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,016,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
My old man used to say Idaho has only 2 seasons of the year; Late Fall and Winter.
And here I though it was 4: Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter, and Road Construction.

Dave

Old 12-23-2023, 02:15 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,404,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
And here I though it was 4: Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter, and Road Construction.

Dave
I'm stealing that!

Old 12-23-2023, 09:16 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,060,556 times
Quote:

Dave
The problem with the weather in CDA, is not three seasons of winter.

The problem is the three seasons of almost spring.

You keep waiting for spring and summer to show up, since the temps run around 32 with black ice. And you think this will end soon, and it doesn't.

Then road construction season starts. Though I have to admit, in the 1970's there wasn't that much road construction going on, except the planning for it, but by that I had moved.

I still regret that I-90 was not rerouted around 4th of July pass.

Old 12-24-2023, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
The problem with the weather in CDA, is not three seasons of winter.

The problem is the three seasons of almost spring.

You keep waiting for spring and summer to show up, since the temps run around 32 with black ice. And you think this will end soon, and it doesn't.

Then road construction season starts. Though I have to admit, in the 1970's there wasn't that much road construction going on, except the planning for it, but by that I had moved.

I still regret that I-90 was not rerouted around 4th of July pass.
I don't really have a problem with the climate in North Idaho. Well, at least when we get enough snow during the winter to support outdoor recreation such as skiing and snowshoeing.

The typical winter temps are usually pretty mild, with typical daytime highs in the 30s. We usually only get a couple stretches of really cold weather each winter, usually a week or so each when temps are single digits overnight, and mid-teens during the day. Last winter was the first time in 7 winters that we saw zero temps at our place.

Elevation matters a lot in that regard. We are at about 2,150', and Lake Pend Oreille is about a a mile from us in a couple directions. I think our proximity to the lake helps moderate both our low temps in the winter, and our highs in the summer. In our experience it's very unusual to see temps above 100 in the summer, and even temps in the 90's are not very common. For example, we had a daytime high above 90 on only 8 days last summer. So summer time temps are usually comfortably in the 80s.

We get a solid 4-5 month growing season. Our first frost has never happened before October 1st, and our last frost has never been later than the end of April. Some springs are longer and cooler than others, but usually not so bad that we can't get our garden in by mid-May.

For me the climate is just about ideal with four distinct seasons, and most of the time none of them are extreme either to the cold or the hot side.

Dave

Old 12-27-2023, 09:12 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,781,715 times
Quote:
For me the climate is just about ideal with four distinct seasons, and most of the time none of them are extreme either to the cold or the hot side.
I always get a chuckle inside when in early or mid summer, people start complaining about how HOT it is...and the temperatures are only in the mid to high 80's. Happens every year.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 12-27-2023, 09:27 AM

561 posts, read 439,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I always get a chuckle inside when in early or mid summer, people start complaining about how HOT it is...and the temperatures are only in the mid to high 80's. Happens every year.
I heard that last year in my first summer here. As a Texan native I keep my mouth shut but laugh inside. Haha.

Old 12-27-2023, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I understand this, but I'm tolerant of folks complaining about the heat at 85 degrees. In just 7 or 8 years I've become less tolerant of hot weather. As we transition from the 60 degree days of spring to the 80 degree days of summer it does feel HOT to me now, especially in direct sun. I think even our moderate elevation makes the sun feel hotter vs. at sea level.

Objectively I know it's not really that hot, but I have become more sensitive to even those moderately warm days.

Still, I'm not planning to trade it for anywhere else!

Dave

Old 12-27-2023, 04:25 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,781,715 times
^^^^

Hmmm? Haven't thought about that. I've been here about the same amount of time. 80's doesn't bother me yet, but high 90's and triple digits do. The cold doesn't seem to bother me either. Never has. Unless the wind is blowing, that is. The humidity is low enough that the cold doesn't bite through me. When I lived on my sailboat in the Ventura harbor, 50s there was really cold! I've yet this year to pull out my heated gloves. But, I have re-charged the batteries for the day they become necessary.

I'm with you. This is home! I expect to be buried in Idaho. Now that my term on the city council is over, (second week of January), I can get back to exploring the hills. My FalconGuides hiking guidebooks to ID/MT/WY are going to get a good workout the next few years.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 12-27-2023, 07:15 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,060,556 times
I moved from Las Vegas to CDA in 1978.

110 degrees was a cool spell. I could actually tell the difference between 115 and 110.

It was mid-April and my last week at Lake Mead NRA when I ran into a bunch of folks from CDA and asked them about the weather.

By that time, I was tired of the wind in southern Nevada. Being out in a boat or small airplane everyday in windy weather is no fun.

They assured me that the wind NEVER blows in CDA, and they were right.

I should have asked them how COLD it was in the summer!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: