Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2008, 11:01 AM

3 posts, read 12,972 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! My family and I are new to this area and would like to take a family vacation in order to explore the region. We are thinking about somewhere in Idaho or Wyoming (within 3-4 hours of SLC).

Here is our wish list:
1) Cabin on a lake (there are only 3 of us, so we don't want/need a cabin that sleeps 20). Prefer mountains.

2) Very close to hiking/running trails/fishing

3) small quaint town . Not extremely remote, but not a place where cabins are on top of each other either.

Have any of you taken a family vacation that fits what I am looking for? Can you suggest some lakes, areas to look? Any places to avoid?

Thanks in advance!

Utah Trail Runner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 11:23 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,035 times
Priest Lake.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:29 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,263,520 times
Island Park, Priest Lake is not within the distance to Salt Lake that you're looking for..... although it sounds fun

Old 06-17-2008, 04:39 PM

66 posts, read 309,255 times
Stanley Basin, about an hour north of Hailey/Sun Valley. From SLC it's still going to be about...(SLC to Jerome, four hours? Been a long time...Jerome to Stanley, two hours...) Six hours. But worth every minute. :^ )

Old 06-17-2008, 06:46 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,438,925 times
Harrison hits many of the things on your wish list.. Check out this link Harrison, Idaho Vacation Rentals
The live webcam is very cool too, you can look all over the lake and in any direction.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:55 PM

210 posts, read 946,761 times
I'll second Stanley Basin, it's awesome. My Aunt has a small cabin near Alturas Lake is it is much as you describe. Petit Lake is pretty nice too. Redfish Lake is a lot more developed but still quite awesome. They are a good 6 hour drive from Salt Lake though. I was in Sun Valley earlier today and it is beautiful.

Island Park is nice too, parents have a condo there, but the cabins on I.P. reservoir are mostly private. Some are probably for rent though. With any reservoir, go early in the season is better before the water is drawn down.

You might also check Bear Lake, but that is pretty developed on the Utah side.

Many other spots to camp, but none that I can think of with cabins.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:21 PM

66 posts, read 309,255 times
Alturas Lake is where we've spent so much time! We worked as caretakers at Smoky Lodge Camp for a decade. I didn't realize there were private cabins around the lake--I'm trying to picture where they might be? I've circumnavigated it in a kayak and walked around it on foot...I remember lots of cabins on little Pettit but not on Alturas.

BIG Dolly Vardens (aka Bull Trout) in Alturas these days--illegal to keep but impossible to avoid catching now and then.

My brother is the director of the new arts venue in Sun Valley. I hope to make it there sometime this summer to catch a show. My sister-in-law is directing the Wahoo Review.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:08 PM

210 posts, read 946,761 times
Aunt's cabin is a couple miles from the lake, not on the water at Alturas. It's been a while since I've been there, but I don't recall cabins right on Alturas. I'm usually backpacking and not staying in cabins so my memory is pretty fuzzy and I don't know which lakes there have/allow cabins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho