Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2008, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 3,377 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to the "Magic Valley" area in Idaho. My wife and I are both 34 with three young children (14, 13, 6). I grew up in Layton, Utah just north of SLC. My wife is from San Diego. My company has moved us around a lot in the last 7 years.

From Utah we went to Phoenix, AZ for 4 years. We then spent 2 years in Charlotte, NC and know reside in Northern Alabama in a small town called Guntersville.

My wife is LDS as are my children. I am not a member as I had some bad expierances growing up in Utah as a non member. I still support my wife and kids and venture off to church with them every once in a while. Needless to say an organized ward is important to us, something that is hard to find in the South.

My work location would be Burley, ID and I am willing to commute up to 30 minutes. We are very outdoors type people. We own a ski boat and 4-wheelers. My folks live in Northern Utah and her family is down in Cedar City. The move makes sense to us, close to family. We do not want to be out in the sticks. A high school with with 500 - 1000 kids, just enough to get my kids envolved in sports.

I have read some negative comments about poor wages and the LDS community. I am more interested in the quality of life and being able to stay busy with outdoor activities.

Please any suggestions would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 11:11 AM

993 posts, read 3,254,198 times
Twin Falls Filer and Kimberly are towns worth exploring.
Burley itself was a nice town from what we saw.

Filer had a great school and Kimberly was just far enough from Twin Falls that there was little traffic .

ATV trails all over the South Hills near Twin Falls.
Not sure about the boating but there is a whole lotta river in that area.

Good Luck

Old 09-03-2008, 06:50 PM

10 posts, read 24,030 times
I hate Twin Falls, Idaho. I've lived in many towns and cities and this is the most backward, apathetic, depressed town I've ever lived in. I wish I had the money to move, but the wages here are SO bad that I can't afford to leave. I have been trying to make friends for 3 YEARS and if you are not born here, they don't want to know you. The METH problem is beyond rampant. Nothing to do for young people but drugs. No place for them to gather. The crime rate is way up, the housing market has fallen off to nothing and jobs are far and few inbetween. Burley is a farm community...just farms. The LDS run the counties and if you aren't one of them, you can get nothing done in the towns. If I had it to do over again, and I HAD to live in Idaho, I would move to Boise. At least they aren't homaphobic and there is SOME culture. Do I sound bitter, yeah, I am. My dream to live in Idaho has become a nightmare. The beauty on the outside hides an ugliness like one I've never seen. Be forewarned.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:30 PM

993 posts, read 3,254,198 times
The only bad thing we found in Twin was the wind.
We had a different experience and were treated wonderfully by people who knew we were from Calif.

MAGIC VALLEY TRAIL MACHINE ASSOCIATION

Great group of trail riders with ATV's and motorcycles.

We will go back again next year just to hang out with them.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:40 PM

4 posts, read 11,915 times
I like living in Twin Falls. My wife is a comunity leader and not LDS. The wind does get anoying. I have two children in the local High School, they stay busy with sports, music and local activitys. There is meth problem just like the rest of the country. We have many LDS friends and the wards seem to be well organized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho