Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 07:25 PM

238 posts, read 863,615 times

Advertisements

This is a
You Tube video about gun ownership everyone should see.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:06 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,523,528 times
It's hard to get my mind around the idea of willingly turning over a firearm to any governmental body absent being involved in a criminal investigation. A great reminder to be active on this issue, as well as to mind where and how one obtains ones property. Thanks Need2Leave, very insightful.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:26 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,840,763 times
And...so that we can keep this in the IDAHO state forum and not have to move this thread over to the Political section, I will add that Idaho is a great state because firearms ownership is rather a given here, and the government of our state trusts us enough that we can go into a swap meet and buy an AK-47 with no paperwork, and where my minor children can carry rifles openly while hunting, and where the 34 state CCW permit is honored. Democrats and Republicans alike, it's a respectful gun culture. And regardless of your politics, move here and try to ban guns/hunting at your peril...

Old 01-23-2009, 11:42 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,440,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
And...so that we can keep this in the IDAHO state forum and not have to move this thread over to the Political section, I will add that Idaho is a great state because firearms ownership is rather a given here, and the government of our state trusts us enough that we can go into a swap meet and buy an AK-47 with no paperwork, and where my minor children can carry rifles openly while hunting, and where the 34 state CCW permit is honored. Democrats and Republicans alike, it's a respectful gun culture. And regardless of your politics, move here and try to ban guns/hunting at your peril...
Amen and YAHOOO! That stuff is music to my ears, even though I know it already.. I gotta wait TEN freakin days for a lever action rifle here.
We are so much safer in Kalifornia cause of these lame laws..
Idaho's gun laws are very liberal and yet the gun crime is miniscule compared to places with more people and more gun control..

When will people learn the lessons of history?
Attached Thumbnails
Idaho-specific Gun owners and laws-agun_control_works2.jpg  

Old 01-23-2009, 11:52 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
i watched the Utube. very scary stuff.
it reminds me of New orleans superdome in katrina. they disarmed the people and put them in with a bunch of thugs. bad stuff happened. the police did nothing. i know people that were there, CNN tells a very different story.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:08 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,212,143 times
Yeah, but how does that work if the federal government steps in....don't their laws supersede the states? I think it's possible that we could slowly have our rights taken away. I can tell you hear in Boise, people have been flocking to the gun stores for fear that they might loose their right to bear arms. I bet, if you check around. the whole state has seen increased purchases of guns due to the possible intentions of the new administration:

“Note that … Holder … wrote a brief in the (District of Columbia) Heller case supporting the position that you have no right to have a working firearm in your own home,” Korwin said.

Alex Jones' Infowars.com: Because there is a war on for your mind!

Old 01-24-2009, 12:44 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,840,763 times
Federal law cannot force states to de-criminalize things unless the judiciary rules that a lower (state) court has convicted someone in violation of the constitution.

But Federal law CAN supercede and override state law to be MORE restrictive, yes. so for example, a federal weapons ban would apply in Idaho as well. It would be enforced as a federal statute, like shooting a wolf that is protected by federal statute, etc.

Gun purchases have gone THROUGH THE ROOF across the USA. I bought a new semi-auto "evil" rifle a couple months back (shortly before the election) and got one of the last ones of its type available from the currently-produced supply. NOTE that new purchases do require a background check, but it's instant and easy. Not that more can't be produced under current law...but they went through a 6 month supply of these in about 30 days. Almost ALL supplies of 7.62x39 Russion ammo has sold out, and the price has gone up about fourfold since summer. So yeah...even in Idaho we're worried about what will happen at the federal level.

As a quick moderating note:

This thread is discussing firearms assuming that posters here in Idaho generally share the view of our state government that gun ownership should be "liberal" in interpretation of the 2nd amendment. If this becomes a gun control debate, I'll have to move this thread to P&OC, just FYI...

Old 01-24-2009, 09:37 AM

I guess I'm a little confused about people flocking to stores to buy guns in the fear they will become more restricted. If I go buy a gun at a store, don't they register that gun to me? And if and when guns start being taken away, won't those registration lists be the first place they come knocking?

I have to say, when I fantasize about returning to live in my favorite city, SF, and as I keep up on violent crimes as they unfold there, that city's handgun ban always brings me back to reality.

I just passed up an opportunity to be part of a wholesale bulk purchase because it was through a licensed dealer and involved registration. Am I wrong to be so wary of the registration records? Couldn't they be used by the government to repo guns?

Last edited by norcalmom101; 01-24-2009 at 09:50 AM..

Old 01-24-2009, 09:57 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,212,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
I guess I'm a little confused about people flocking to stores to buy guns in the fear they will become more restricted. If I go buy a gun at a store, don't they register that gun to me? And if and when guns start being taken away, won't those registration lists be the first place they come knocking?

I have to say, when I fantasize about returning to live in my favorite city, SF, and as I keep up on violent crimes as they unfold there, that city's handgun ban always brings me back to reality.

I just passed up an opportunity to be part of a wholesale bulk purchase because it was through a licensed dealer and involved registration. Am I wrong to be so wary of the registration records? Couldn't they be used by the government to repo guns?

Yes you're right, they'll use the registration lists. I think it's a matter of what types of guns they're going to confiscate first. Idaho is big gun country....I can't imagine people giving up their guns without a fight. Oh lordy......what's this world coming to........sigh.....

Old 01-24-2009, 10:07 AM

Part of the problem obviously is that people who register their guns are for the most part law abiding. Er, Idahoans are for the most part law abiding. Can you really see most gun owners in Idaho resisting confiscation? With force? Sounds messy, and I wouldn't want to be put in that position. I just don't see it happening. Political suicide, at least in Idaho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho