Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 09:29 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,524,728 times

Advertisements

This morning I realized we've been here just over 6 months now from the SF Bay Area. My thoughts on our experience in small town Shelley so far:

1. Schools
We have a great relationship with the staff at our local school. We've only had one negative experience which required the assistance of the cop assigned to school matters, and he has been responsive and helpful. My kids have made many friends and have not been discriminated against in any way for being from California, not being LDS, and expressing their political views during the election campaign.

2. Work
Found a job I love less than a month after we got here, still loving it. This was the scariest part of our move. I got lucky.

3. Neighborhood
We have great neighbors. Really good people. Again, we have faced no discrimination whatsoever for being from California or for not being LDS, or for expressing our political views. We have participated in community events, and have had nothing but positive and welcoming experiences.

4. Out and about in Idaho Falls
We have made lots of friends of all persuasions. I was trying to think of any negative experiences we've had here, and couldn't come up with anything beyond what I have already posted here, which, to recap, was one guy yelling at my son about our dog for no reason, and the missionaries driving us crazy until I firmly told them to stop. Other than that, no road rage, rude people, or other bad stuff.

BTW, I still have California plates.

Things I love here:

The people are SO friendly and helpful. I mean, if you get a wrong number, chances are the other party is going to want to help you find the right one. Every time I have needed assistance, whether from a government agency, or a stranger on the street, it's been there, I don't know how to describe this other than there is a real sense of "we're all in this together."

The light: This place is gorgeous. I especially love seeing the colors on the Sawtooth mountains (hope I got that right!) when I drive to work, it's a different treat every day.

Simplicity: Things just seem so much more straightforward and simple here.

Honesty: I have to note that of all the business people I have had to deal with on various levels, there is a real sense of honesty here on the part of folks doing business. I trust our mechanic, the people who work on our house, pretty much everyone I've done business with. And anywhere things weren't right, they were made so once it was pointed out.

This is all totally subjective of course. But fwiw, if you are planning a move here, and are concerned about fitting in, etc., I can unequivocally say after our first 6 months here, that this is a great place to call home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 09:46 AM

993 posts, read 3,253,944 times
Norcal that is wonderfull to read.
I have been reading every word you type in trying to figure out just how we will be received when it's our turn to migrate. My kids still want to move to Idaho and that is a driving factor for us to get up there before they change their minds.
Keep up the good words and remember there are many people following your lead and LOVE to read real stories like yours.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:16 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,441,142 times
Thats a great report NM!!! I just know thats the way Im going to feel 6 months in as well... My time being in NID working on my shop and dealing with local businesses gives me the same feeling about the whole honesty thing.. In Slow Cal you can just about figure on getting screwed when you get anyone to do anything...

Old 03-10-2009, 10:41 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,445,026 times
Thumbs up Planning Helps: Job, Home, Other Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
This morning I realized we've been here just over 6 months now from the SF Bay Area. My thoughts on our experience in small town Shelley so far:

1. Schools
We have a great relationship with the staff at our local school. We've only had one negative experience which required the assistance of the cop assigned to school matters, and he has been responsive and helpful. My kids have made many friends and have not been discriminated against in any way for being from California, not being LDS, and expressing their political views during the election campaign.

2. Work
Found a job I love less than a month after we got here, still loving it. This was the scariest part of our move. I got lucky.

3. Neighborhood
We have great neighbors. Really good people. Again, we have faced no discrimination whatsoever for being from California or for not being LDS, or for expressing our political views. We have participated in community events, and have had nothing but positive and welcoming experiences.

4. Out and about in Idaho Falls
We have made lots of friends of all persuasions. I was trying to think of any negative experiences we've had here, and couldn't come up with anything beyond what I have already posted here, which, to recap, was one guy yelling at my son about our dog for no reason, and the missionaries driving us crazy until I firmly told them to stop. Other than that, no road rage, rude people, or other bad stuff.

BTW, I still have California plates.

Things I love here:

The people are SO friendly and helpful. I mean, if you get a wrong number, chances are the other party is going to want to help you find the right one. Every time I have needed assistance, whether from a government agency, or a stranger on the street, it's been there, I don't know how to describe this other than there is a real sense of "we're all in this together."

The light: This place is gorgeous. I especially love seeing the colors on the Sawtooth mountains (hope I got that right!) when I drive to work, it's a different treat every day.

Simplicity: Things just seem so much more straightforward and simple here.

Honesty: I have to note that of all the business people I have had to deal with on various levels, there is a real sense of honesty here on the part of folks doing business. I trust our mechanic, the people who work on our house, pretty much everyone I've done business with. And anywhere things weren't right, they were made so once it was pointed out.

This is all totally subjective of course. But fwiw, if you are planning a move here, and are concerned about fitting in, etc., I can unequivocally say after our first 6 months here, that this is a great place to call home.
Good summary, NCM101. I'm so glad it has worked out so well for you.

Trace and DR are following your posts closely as they should do. What I'd like to point out to others who may not have planned as closely as all 3 of these new or almost Idaho residents, is they all had a plan.

It may sound silly, but I sometimes worry when I read posts from people who think they will just move to an area and once there, get a job. I know you had a different situation, NCM101, that necessitated the move. Still, it tells a lot about you that YOU found a job you love. No one said you are making the money you may be trained for; however, how you enjoy your day and what you do with your day depends on you. Nice job.

Others who post here also are creating their plans of how to escape areas they can no longer tolerate for various reasons. I just encourage everyone to be thorough and not assume that because Norcalmom101 was able to find a job within a month that everyone can. Trace has his business all lined up and ready to go, as I understand it.

If you have a small business and are looking to move and maybe need some help that is where local agencies, like Grow Idaho Falls (Grow Idaho Falls) and others throughout the state.

If it were me moving, I'd have to know where I'd be living, not take a chance on what I could find in the market once I was there.

Also, I'd have someone in my family/home have a secure job waiting. Some people are a lot more courageous than I to just move and not have secure employment waiting for them.

And funny as this may sound to some, if you have family members or others who will be living with you who have specific medical needs, make sure you ask your current doctors to refer you to specific Idaho doctors. Idaho is greatly understaffed in physicians, especially certain areas. Don't assume you'll have the specialized care you'll need, make sure.

I'm sure Cleosmom, Sage, TwinPrism, Tori and so many others who have posted threads (or thoughts on threads) about moving to Idaho, may have additional items to add to my basic list.

I still think the earlier thread Desert Ryder and Trace and others wrote about telling all the horror story myths about Idaho to discourage some from moving to Idaho is one of the funniest threads in the Idaho forum.

Good luck to all who want to make this change. I hope you find what you are looking for, but I do want you to be prepared to know others are looking for the same things as you. So having plans and connections in place ahead of time only helps your chances of having a successful relocation, IMHO.

Good thread, Norcalmom101.

MSR

Old 03-11-2009, 02:32 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,031,991 times
I envy you.I have a friend that lives in Idaho & she loves it as well.She was born/raised in so.ca & shes never coming back.Good move!

Old 03-11-2009, 08:27 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,524,728 times
MSR raises a very good point about employment. I am specifically aware of this because part of my job is hiring people, and I readily admit I often hire overqualified people to do honorable but underpaid work. As I said, I did get lucky. In the brief period of time I was actively looking for work, I found wages here to be lower than in California, but then so is the cost of housing. As it worked out, my housing costs went down by moving here, significantly, and my overall wages/working conditions improved. But it could easily have worked out otherwise, I was just the lucky person who walked through that door that my new hires now enter.

Just to really emphasize the employment situation, I have a coworker who is from this area and has a strong resume, he has been looking for a different higher paying job since last October, applying for at least several jobs per week, applying in areas as far off as Twin Falls, and he has had ZERO interviews. Z-E-R-O. So he is biding his time and going back to school nights. Seems to me this forum is quieter these days, makes me think people are hunkered down right now, which is probably the smart thing to be doing, in general.

Last edited by norcalmom101; 03-11-2009 at 08:37 AM..

Old 03-11-2009, 08:36 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,274,525 times
I think it's wonderful that everything is working out so well for your family.

Now if your friends could find the time to have lunch with you

Old 03-11-2009, 12:08 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,441,142 times
Great post MSR, and you do make some very good points... I am fortunate enough to have a trade and business I can do anywhere. Still its not an easy thing to just up and move a family and a business 1200 miles. I know cause I've been working on it for a long time.. That being said, here in Riverside county they just said we have 12% unemployment and Im sure that doesnt even consider the illegal aliens looking for work.. I think if I was looking for a job, I "might" have a better chance in Idaho than here. Cali also is about to foist new taxes that will make things even worse too..
I would do like MSR advises and do ALOT of research, and job hunting before pulling the trigger and moving to Id... Of course there was a day when people packed up a wagon and headed out west with NOTHING;-) I wouldnt suggest that, but sometimes taking a chance can be better than staying in a place that has NOTHING going on, and being miserable..
Dont get me wrong Im not saying to move a family with no idea of what your going to do, but I wouldnt let the bad economy stop me if I could find ANY way to swing it also. Peristance is the key, and like they say it cant rain forever BUT it can snow forever in Idaho.. what are we up too now 10 months a year??HAHA!!!

Old 03-12-2009, 12:14 AM

117 posts, read 419,485 times
There's a great chance my family will be moving to the area from San Antonio, Texas. Specifically, to take a job in Rexburg. I think we'd rather live in Idaho Falls - but the question: Is a daily commute from there to Rexburg resonable?

Old 03-12-2009, 06:38 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,274,525 times
To be blunt what is reasonable? Between IF and Rexburg it's about 30 miles, which is around 20 miles less than IF to the Site. Having said that you'll have to adjust your commute time during winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo713 View Post
There's a great chance my family will be moving to the area from San Antonio, Texas. Specifically, to take a job in Rexburg. I think we'd rather live in Idaho Falls - but the question: Is a daily commute from there to Rexburg resonable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho