Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 10:16 AM

2 posts, read 18,177 times

Advertisements

at what age in idaho can I move out and not be considered a runaway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 05:40 PM

630 posts, read 2,431,494 times
Are you planning on running to or away from Idaho?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leach158 View Post

Old 04-28-2007, 07:36 AM

66 posts, read 309,239 times
You can move out at any age if you aren't, in fact, running away from something (that is, if you and your parents have discussed it and agreed, and you've found an appropriate place for you to go).

Other than that, the age is 18--by which time a lot of young people have grown out of thinking their parents are mean, unfair, and uncaring. A lot, but not all.

And there are the few parents who really are mean, unfair, and uncaring, but most of them don't fight too hard when the kid wants to move out, because they don't care if that kid grows up okay or not.

Typically, though, kids talk about running away because their parents enforce rules intended to help the kid survive some of the most emotionally, physically, and psychologically dangerous years of their lives. The parents may not know how to best do what they are trying to do, but their intent is usually to make sure that adolescence doesn't destroy or warp the kid's future--which is likely to be much longer than the kid's adolescence.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:33 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,676,051 times
Quote:

The age of majority is 19 in Alabama, Nebraska, and Wyoming. It's 21 in DC and Mississippi.

In all the other states the age of majority is 18.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:19 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,236 times
Just keep in mind it's not that easy to support yourself at a young age. If you end up homeless a lot of uninvited dangers could be upon you. When we are young we get anxious to move out and be an adult and it's not all that it appears, unless you are financially prepared.
Good luck and don't move out just because you are angry or just tried of living at home. Adult hood happens soon enough and it's a long road.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 18,177 times
Default the reason why

The reason why i want to move out is because my parents said they were done with me, told me they no longer cared and told me to leave. the first time i left they claimed i ran away so i was forced to go back home, so I was trying to find a legal way to be on my own.
thank you all

Old 04-30-2007, 10:18 AM

630 posts, read 2,431,494 times
Have you looked into having yourself emancipated?
Contact an attorney or legal aid for a free info session, and find out what you can do.
If you can find a way to support yourself, and have a place to live, then, you can probably do it.

Quote:
The reason why i want to move out is because my parents said they were done with me, told me they no longer cared and told me to leave. the first time i left they claimed i ran away so i was forced to go back home, so I was trying to find a legal way to be on my own.
thank you all

Old 01-14-2008, 10:57 PM

2 posts, read 11,017 times
Unhappy I really need to know!!!

What if you know somebody that gets beat on a daily basis I'm not talking about just a whooping or slap on the hand I'm talking about throwing punches at their kid and leaving marks and bruises .....and you heard their mother tell them that she doesn't like him/her and that they will never go anywhere and this person is tired of it and scared to go to anybody for help because if their mother finds out she'll beat them again.....what can they do to move out of their house and never have to go threw that again???

Old 01-14-2008, 11:42 PM

40 posts, read 215,810 times
leach 158 - As far as I know, you cannot become an emancipated minor in Idaho. The age of being considered an adult is 18.

Until then, hang in there. Perhaps there is a relative you can stay with, who would be ok with your parents? Or a family of a good friend? Of course, you'd have to be on pretty good behavior and be respectful of them so you can stay long enough to figure out what to do, like get a job, rent an apartment, etc. I hope you stay in school long enough to graduate. I don't know where you live, but some communities have shelters or homes for teens who can't live at home.

Could you talk to someone at school, at least to get things off your chest once in awhile? Like a favorite teacher, counselor, social worker, friend? They or someone at the county courthouse may know if there are places for teens to live temporarily.

KAWB - someone needs to call Family and Children's Services/Health and Welfare. It might help if you took photos of the injuries when they happened. Please report this to authorities, whether it be Health and Welfare, the police, school authorities. Maybe there is a relative this person can stay with or at least help out here? Maybe the mom needs some kind of help too I suspect. I'm not saying the victim is at fault, but sometimes you have to ask yourself "if I say this, will it trigger my mom again?" There are times when what we say helps someone move towards an explosion and if we word what we say differently, it won't help along such a violent trigger. Otherwise, you need to report this now and keep telling people until someone believes you. Good luck.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:45 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Exclamation Use The Safest Resources Available to You

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAWB View Post
What if you know somebody that gets beat on a daily basis I'm not talking about just a whooping or slap on the hand I'm talking about throwing punches at their kid and leaving marks and bruises .....and you heard their mother tell them that she doesn't like him/her and that they will never go anywhere and this person is tired of it and scared to go to anybody for help because if their mother finds out she'll beat them again.....what can they do to move out of their house and never have to go threw that again???
No offense KAWB - are you an adult? It makes a difference to some degree.

If one knows this is happening, the best thing to do is call law enforcement, at 911. DCFS will need to be involved, but law enforcement will know how to make that happen, if you don't.

You raise many important questions, but when tough decisions have to be made, make the safest one and proceed from there. Bring in those who have the legal ability to remove a minor from a home- Law Enforcement Officers with DCFS.

Not all of your questions can be answered at this time. However, if a "friend" or loved one is safe, then there will be time to work this out in the months or years that follow. It is better to have "issues" to resolve in pscyhotherapy than for a person not to be here to address them.

Per chance you are a minor, still call 911. Or, if this is someone you may know through school, notify your school counselor, prinicpal, school teacher (or all of the above) - the ones you trust the most. Tell them you need help and how quickly you fear worse danger is pending.

You also can always take the "child/children" in that home to a hospital E.R. The staff will know what to do.

Above all, don't give up and believe there are truly people who can help.

Keep us posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: