Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 02:06 PM

3 posts, read 6,442 times

Advertisements

About 12 years ago, my new spouse and I moved to Pocatello after he got out of the military. I was newly pregnant, and miserable. My attitude and physical condition had a lot to do with how our experience went...anyway, we left after 8 mnths and went back south.

Since then, we have had three kids, and have moved a couple of times (once to OK) and recently to (AZ). The move to OK was to be near his dad, who was very sick. We were there about six months, and my husband accepted a job back home. OK was okay (pun intended) but people there were just not very welcoming. Very reserved, especially if you are not into country music or alcohol (sorry, this specific town).

Anyway, this recent move to AZ was due to my husband's company in TN restructuring. We are settled here in a really small town, where most everyone is welcoming. We have made lots of new friends, and yes, I do the volunteering, etc. Oddly enough, its us who are reserved this time. We don't want to get too close to people or a place that we are intending to leave by summer.

My in-laws are originally from the ID area, and have lived in many places. Knowing us as they do, they seem to think the CDA, Post Falls & Spokane areas are the best bet for us. We are intending for at least one of us to find a job before going up there, and plan to start looking in March/April so that we definitely have something by June.

My daughters definitely have a southern accent. Not going to be able to hid that like a license plate, lol. We're Baptists, but I have Morman and Catholic friends in the South. Is it drastically different in Idaho? I am concerned about the earlier posts about the schools not being up to par. Why are they not? Is it so bad that we need to look at alternatives?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 07:44 PM

65 posts, read 282,625 times
I've heard many good things about the schools up in CDA(not hard to beat the ones here Vegas). It's one of the many reasons were making the move up there. I'm sure someone will stop by and post a link for you about them pretty soon or do a search on this forum. Good luck with the move.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:31 PM

537 posts, read 1,322,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehawley View Post
Anyway, this recent move to AZ was due to my husband's company in TN restructuring. We are settled here in a really small town, where most everyone is welcoming. We have made lots of new friends, and yes, I do the volunteering, etc. Oddly enough, its us who are reserved this time. We don't want to get too close to people or a place that we are intending to leave by summer.
We're Baptists, but I have Morman and Catholic friends in the South. Is it drastically different in Idaho? I am concerned about the earlier posts about the schools not being up to par. Why are they not? Is it so bad that we need to look at alternatives?
Why are you leaving Arizona if people are friendly and welcoming? In general, people are not very welcoming here, people pretty much keep to themselves, like you don't bother me and I won't bother you.
I would say, yes, it is drastically different. I grew up in the scools here and do not send my children to them.
I hope you come and visit first and make sure it is the right place for your family.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:01 PM

105 posts, read 315,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnam View Post
I don't disagree with you about investing the time. I just don't see the point of hanging in for another 2 years trying to make it work. It may be "giving up", but we just aren't suited to Idaho - it's not Idaho's fault at all, we made the wrong choice. Our kids want to return as well. My family has lived in the same little town in California for over 100 years, we have a lot of history, friends and family there. Although our kids will miss the friends they've made in school, they have a lot of friends back home, too. Our high school age son knows that there are many more affordable choices for higher education back in California and he like to return to school there.

This move has taught us a lot of things and I think it was good for us overall. People move all over the country and we're fortunate that we have the opportunity to experience other areas. However, I don't feel it's necessary to live unhappily if you've made a choice that's not right for you and your family. We're not "escaping" Idaho - we just prefer our lives in California. And when we move back to California, we won't have to immediately change our Idaho plates or be careful not to mention that we lived in Idaho. You can be more open about where you came from in California without fearing that you will offend the "natives".
OMG, your situation is exactly like mine. I moved with my family to Idaho Sept '07 and although it has been only close to 5 months since we've moved here, we are already moving back to Ca in a couple months. I agree with you, although ppl may say we didn't give it a fair enough chance, I don't see the point in waiting to make it work. Things will never change, so why waste anymore unhappy moments here.

My parents wanted to move to Idaho and wanted to take us along to experience something different. Although excited to see a new environment, I reluctantly went with them. They see how unhappy my sister and I are and they see how much we are struggling to get a job within our college degrees. Not to mention how unpleasant the ppl here have been to us. We should'nt feel like we can't mention we're from Ca or that we have to change our plates as soon as we get here. That is not a happy place to live. I too will be looking foward to going back to Ca without having to worry if they will discriminate against me because I have Idaho plates. Thats how accepting Ca is. I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather be. I made a vow to never leave my home state again! I can say one positive thing that came out of my move to Idaho, is that it made me appreciate Ca even more. It made me appreciate where I came from after experiencing what life is like outside of Ca.

Have a safe trip back to Ca Donnam. Can't wait to be happy again!

Old 02-01-2008, 11:26 PM

51 posts, read 225,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali4life80 View Post
I can say one positive thing that came out of my move to Idaho, is that it made me appreciate Ca even more. It made me appreciate where I came from after experiencing what life is like outside of Ca.

Have a safe trip back to Ca Donnam. Can't wait to be happy again!
Thanks so much for the good wishes Cali4life80. Just this afternoon we drove out of Idaho our way back to California I agree that there is no point in remaining someplace where you're not happy. Sometimes we may make the wrong choice--let's just call it a "learning experience"
Oh yes, we are truly fortunate to have learned exactly where our "happy place" is: home in California. Glad to hear that you and your family are returning soon. Wishing you all a safe trip back to the golden state, as well!

Old 02-02-2008, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnam View Post
Thanks so much for the good wishes Cali4life80. Just this afternoon we drove out of Idaho our way back to California I agree that there is no point in remaining someplace where you're not happy. Sometimes we may make the wrong choice--let's just call it a "learning experience"
Oh yes, we are truly fortunate to have learned exactly where our "happy place" is: home in California. Glad to hear that you and your family are returning soon. Wishing you all a safe trip back to the golden state, as well!

Oh wow! You're leaving already? You are so lucky. I still have a month and 22 days until i get out of here and that seems soooooooo long to me. LOL. I bet that must have been the best feeling seeing idaho pass in your rearview mirror. I can't wait to feel that. Best wishes in California! Keep us posted on how you're doing

Old 02-02-2008, 03:27 AM

65 posts, read 282,625 times
Default Please don't take it to seriously, just laugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali4life80 View Post
Oh wow! You're leaving already? You are so lucky. I still have a month and 22 days until i get out of here and that seems soooooooo long to me. LOL. I bet that must have been the best feeling seeing idaho pass in your rearview mirror. I can't wait to feel that. Best wishes in California! Keep us posted on how you're doing
I'm starting a pool to see how long it takes some of these people to realize the reasons they left the "horrible" state of California and look for another "Idaho" to move to again.

Please vote by the numbers and since everyone is so backwards and hateful in Idaho we'll make the prize one of those new dishes their selling like crazy down at the river, Californian on a stick(well done please)!!!

1. 5 hours - Arrive in California and sit in traffic for 5 hours and cussing the whole time because it took the last 3 hours just to go the last 5 miles to home.

2. 5 hours and 1 minute - Made it through the traffic only to get carjacked 1 block from home.

3. Day 1 - Their 8 hour day at work turns into the normal 14 hour day while breathing fumes on the freeway for 3 hours each way.

4. Day 2 - Kids came home from school and tell the parents that each of the 10 different gangs at school are "requesting" membership.

5. Day 3 - They forgot they weren't in Idaho and told their 12 year old daughter to walk to the "next-door" neighbors alone and then the parents run screaming out of the house only to find she did make it the 30 feet without something happening(whew).

6. Day 4 - They find their son selling the Meth he acquired in Idaho(just a joke) to the neighborhood children and then explains to them how expensive it is to live in California. Ok, Ok not sure if this is bad for Idaho, California or both.

7. Day 7 - They realize that while they were gone for that 6 months "everything" in California is now in Spanish, making it hard to figure out where to eat Taco Bell or Del Taco, because they don't remember ever eating at El McDonalds, El Burger Roi(king) or the now ever popular El Wendy's.

8. Day 8 - They freak out realizing all their friends in California moved away after they figured out that all the illegal "landscapers" in the neighborhood were actually their new neighbors.

9. Day 9 - They're still driving like Idahoans and can't figure out why everyone is either cussing or waving a gun at them for going the speed limit.

10. Day 12 - They have a flat tire on the freeway and are dumbfounded as to why everyone driving by is not stopping to help, but yelling "HAHA sucks to be you".

11. Day 12A - Someone actually stopped to help(thank god), but wait, no he is waving a pistol and screaming at them to give them all their money and jewelry.

12. Day 14- After fighting for a parking spot at the mall then shopping for 8 hours(6 of which was waiting in line at the cash register), they go "postal" and scream 'WHY CAN'T YOU PEOPLE JUST ACT LIKE IDAHOANS!"

13. Day 15 - While enjoying a drive around LA in their new Hummer and looking down at the poorer people here in LA, they realize they forgot the "GREY POUPON". What will they do? No wait, there's a Mercedes up at the light, they ask if the gentleman has any extra and he happily hands it through the window. They sit back laughing about how great it is to be back in LA, enjoying their sandwich's when at the next light they are carjacked again.

14. Day 30 - The kids start screaming like crazy while driving saying "look dad we just saw a crow"(first "wildlife" they've seen since leaving the northwest, all wildlife in LA has been killed by pollution and over population). The dad sits back smiling remembering the good old days of Northern Idaho where the rivers run true, the mountains are green and wildlife is everywhere.

15. Day 45 - All their children are diagnosed with a crippling asthma directly linked to the extreme levels of air pollution.

16. Day 54 - Spanish is "officially" announced as the new language for California(Ebonics 2nd, English is now 3rd). Officials are requiring all persons to speak it fluently within 3 months or face deportation to another state. Teaching of English will be dealt with harshly, fines up to $500k and up to 20 years in a Spanish speaking prison. All illegal's and drug offenders are to be immediately forgiven and released from prison to make way for language offenders.

17. Day 90 - The other 16 year old daughter comes home from summer camp in "Idaho" and announces she's pregnant from one of those meth building, still brewing, backwards and hateful rednecks in Idaho. The parents scream in anger and disbelief, realizing that could of been any one of the 1000's of people in Idaho they met while living there and can't figure where they went wrong. They realize that life is faster and busier down here in California, but hey, they did actually see and say hi to their daughter 2.5 months ago when the drive home only took an amazing 2 hours that day, so what's the problem with her.

18. Day 135 - 8.4 earthquake hits California taking from the San Andreas fault westward into the ocean killing 10's of millions of Californians. The nation goes through unbelievable rioting, not from the mourning of 10's of millions of Californians, "amazingly" no one seems to give a crap about that, the rioting is about who can be the first to stake a claim on the new oceanfront property.

Unfortunately this family did fall victim to the quake, so the information we were receiving on the day to day accounts of their lives after returning to "lovely" California must come to an end. R.I.P.

Hope everyone gets a good laugh, I enjoyed reminiscing about the "good old" days of California.

Last edited by vegas_storms; 02-02-2008 at 03:46 AM..

Old 02-02-2008, 09:30 AM

51 posts, read 225,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas_storms View Post

Unfortunately this family did fall victim to the quake, so the information we were receiving on the day to day accounts of their lives after returning to "lovely" California must come to an end. R.I.P.

Hope everyone gets a good laugh, I enjoyed reminiscing about the "good old" days of California.
Yep, if a quake doesn't kill us first, we will probably be shot by a gangbanger cruising in their Hummer as we cross the state line into California. Or die in a horrible car crash while on the treacherous freeways. It's just all part of the California lifestyle!

Look we want to live in California. Never felt at home in Idaho. I'm don't need to defend our decision to return to California, just as those that left California for their Nirvana in another state don't need to defend themselves. Life and let live, even if that life in is "horrible" California. I won't ever leave again.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:36 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,027,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas_storms View Post
I'm starting a pool to see how long it takes some of these people to realize the reasons they left the "horrible" state of California and look for another "Idaho" to move to again.
I didn't take it too seriously. I just laughed. Something tells me that not everyone can do that.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:58 AM

Vegas_Storms, thats all you have? Traffic, immigration and earthquakes? Well, darn, forget moving back to Ca, i'm staying in Idaho. You've convinced me!!! Yeh right. You can keep bashing Ca, but you're not going to get anywhere. You couldn't pay me to stay in Idaho. I'd be one miserable person. Ca here I come!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho