Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 02:04 PM

382 posts, read 1,033,079 times

Advertisements

I find it interesting that people have to justify there feelings by arguing on the internet about such trivial things. I have been quick to justify my feelings but now in hindsight I see what I have done to be a complete waste of time! Why is it that it seems that no one can stop and listen to another person and apperciate that they have a different point of view.

Instead everyone has to justify the way they feel by putting other people down and turning what other people say into something else to make themselves feel better?

What ever happened to understanding and trying to act like adults? Rarely you will find others that think like you do. And as me and Vegas found out thru personal emails we agree to some degree.

I encourage others to take to heart that other people no matter where they are from deserve the same kinda treatment you want. It's not easy to do I struggle everyday but I have decided in my own personal life that I for one am not going to jump to false conclusions about anyone anymore.

That does not mean that I will not defend myself when the time comes. But I now realise that by arguing a dead point your just beating a dead horse. The entire United States is guilty of abandoning its self. Thru sheer lazziness and lack of compassion we turn on eachother and create the nightmare we were trying to run away from.

There is room for everyone if we can all understand that each of us though different have value. And to value ones self is to value others. One mans perspective is never gonna match anothers. There is too much finger pointing and blame and not enough understanding and forgiveness.

Life is a journey that can only be fulfilling thru human interaction. I just wish people would try to understand why another person feels the way they do. And I wish the person that feels misunderstood would remember that they once felt like the other guy did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 09:27 PM

105 posts, read 315,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Cali4life80,

I hope you are able to have everything that makes you happy when you are back in CA. I don't find many from CA who share your views. However, you absolutely are allowed to see the world as you see it.

I have to respectfully disagree with you on a couple of things.

First,

"NO JOBS in Eastern Idaho. I have a bachelors degree in Criminal Justice and there is nothing out there for me.
Low paying jobs. Resturants pay $3.35/hr to be a server!!"

I wonder if we're reading the same opportunities for employment? There are several jobs that are available for someone with your background. Perhaps there were other factors to those jobs you didn't like, which is a different story. But, to say they don't exist, simply isn't true.

Restaurants have to guarantee a wage, then the server collects tips too. You may be surprised how much some servers make.

I think it's probably best to not address your other statements. Idaho Falls clearly wasn't a good move for you, at this point in your life. This winter has been difficult on people in all of the Intermountain States. Salt Lake City doesn't hit zero degrees, but the city has this year.

So I wish you much happiness and happiness to your family when you are able to return home to CA.

For others who have a similar degree as Cali4life80, know jobs are available. But, like all other aspects of moving, it is good to have one's employment secured prior to moving.

Good luck Cali4life80. I wish you well.

MSR
Thanks for your wishes, but as far as available jobs in my field, its been a struggle. There is probably one position that opens up once every couple months. Its very bleak here. I see A LOT more jobs in my field open in CA. So unless you are actually working in the Criminal Justice field and have looked for jobs in that field here in I.F., you can't really make that judgement.

I was a server for 3 years so I know that they can make some bucks, but I also know that an hourly wage of $3.35 is something you can't live on even with tips.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:46 AM

5 posts, read 7,004 times
I was born and raised in SoCal. My parents moved to Idaho when I was eighteen, along with my brothers and sister; I stayed behind in California. But, when I was tweenty-four, I thought that I should give Idaho a shot considering my entire immediate family was there. So, I wound up staying there for five months, found a well-paying job, (at least for Idaho standards, anyway) made friends, I even starting seeing a girl too; however, I still missed California and found the weather to be misserable and the lack of nightlife and entertainment drove me crazy. I missed the ocean and all the friends that I had known for years back in California. So after five months I moved back. Idaho wasn't for me! If you want a small quiet life indoors half the year, unpredictable, miserable weather the other half, than Idaho may be the place for you.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:13 AM

22 posts, read 42,317 times
Now they have quakes here in Idaho too. Our river valley dropped 12 feet in '84 and some buildings in town fell down.

We live in quite rural Idaho. Pop 500 of the town. Shopping is the ****s. Food is expensive and veggies rarely fresh. It pays to go into the city every 8 weeks or so to buy food.

The schools are crappy and kids only go 4 days a week to save money, There are no arts or music available and everything is football. I hate football and feel sorry for the kids with talent who never find a way to develop it. Eventually they get dumbed down and dont care.

There are old time familes here who are down right mean. People get killed or beat up here and there is not justice. The local police, all two of them send their kids to school in Idhao falls for fear of retaliation..

Its the wild west here and we love it.

But I will say I rasied my kids in Salt Lake City and they will always benefit from a good education that is not available here. I hear reports of local kids that go to college and end up in remedial classes,,, when they were the top of the class in high school.

Education is **** poor.

But the land is beautiful... no... georgous. Locals are fairly decent unless you rub one the wrong way. Lately some are denying river access that is not theirs to deny. They put up fences, block the road, run people off, etc.

There is bigotry here. There's a restuarant I will not go to because I know the owners are bigots. You can get beat up for the color of your skin around here...

On the other hand there are some very fine people here. These are the ones I choose to associate with. Locals have not been friendly... but they do like to do business with you but forget getting invited over to dinner or out on a hike with them. All the people I hang with are transplants from various places like Colorado, Arizona, New Zealand, California, Utah, New Jersey and other parts of Idaho that are more forward thinking.

I would not live here if I was still rasing kids, and others are right. There is no work unless you inherit land or like working for minimal wages. Job openings are infrequent.

But Im quite sure other parts of Idaho are more advanced. We came here because it was beautiful and we could afford it. It is still affordable land. This place will not advance socially unless more outsiders come here and commit to participating in local culture at some level or another.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:03 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
Lovin Idaho, based on the earthquake and year you mentioned you must live in Challis or Mackay? That is a really isolated area, probably one of the most isolated in the entire state. Do you think its isolation in turn determines the culture of that area? I have a friend here in Boise who grew up in Challis and she loves that area, misses it but says it is a polar opposite of the Boise area, which is obvious based on population.

Regarding schools, for instance, Boise has nationally ranked schools, I believe some of the best in the state, and I personally know people who have moved to Boise from Salt Lake City for a better life and so their children can get a better education in the Boise school system vs. down in SLC. My younger sister and her hubby are thinking about leaving the Salt Lake area and moving to either Idaho Falls or Boise to raise their family in what they consider a better environment.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 09-29-2011 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-03-2011, 03:28 AM

22 posts, read 42,317 times
Well certainly, isolation has much to do with everything. If you want isolation be ready to contend with or at least be around some very narrow minded people and in small towns you come around to meeting most everyone eventually. Personally, I just ignore those that are of lessor heart space. I can't help them and they have nothing I need or want.

Salt Lake has great schools if you can afford to live in the right neighborhood. If not then best to move to Boise. Personally I find Boise quite unattractive as a city, physically anyway but most cities with colleges are more interesting places to live... and that creates an improved standard for those that live there. There are many neighborhoods in SLC and the schools vary. I would say that the very worst in SLC is likely better than what we have here in isolated Idaho. There is corruption in the politics and handling of school funds also, so I am told. Some moms home school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho