Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 11:01 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

It's only racist if you're referring to a Puerto Rican, El Salvadorean, Cuban, etc. as "Mexican" - some people think everyone with brownish skin & a Spanish accent is Mexican, and that is racist. Also racist to assume everyone on that list is "illegal," which is another thing I've witnessed people doing. But if somebody IS from Mexico, you know that for sure, and aren't making assumptions about their immigration status... sure, go right ahead and call them Mexican! I have friends & ex-boyfriends who are Mexican, both American-born and Mexican-born, and they're never offended by anyone calling them Mexican. So I'm not sure where you get this from, unless you're using the designation incorrectly.

Old 12-25-2010, 06:09 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It's only racist if you're referring to a Puerto Rican, El Salvadorean, Cuban, etc. as "Mexican" - some people think everyone with brownish skin & a Spanish accent is Mexican, and that is racist. Also racist to assume everyone on that list is "illegal," which is another thing I've witnessed people doing. But if somebody IS from Mexico, you know that for sure, and aren't making assumptions about their immigration status... sure, go right ahead and call them Mexican! I have friends & ex-boyfriends who are Mexican, both American-born and Mexican-born, and they're never offended by anyone calling them Mexican. So I'm not sure where you get this from, unless you're using the designation incorrectly.
Actually, Mexican isn't a race it is a nationality. So mistaking a Puerto Rican, etc. for a Mexican isn't racist it is just making an unbased assumption.

Old 12-25-2010, 12:15 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Actually that usage was perfectly reasonable. But note that it could also cross the line...for instance if used to describe a place with a large black population.

So the only reasonable thing to do is ban the word black from our vocabulary that way no-one gets offended.......

Old 12-25-2010, 05:07 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times
Quote:
That's not necessarily racist, it's just being uneducated on the realities of different cultures and people. A person who mistakenly calls a Guatemalan a Mexican isn't always going to be racist.

And to explain what the OP is talking about, they are talking about how it has become politically incorrect or causes people to do the "::gasp::" when people basically just mention the term "Mexican" in a conversation relating to something about society, politics or just life.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
That's not necessarily racist, it's just being uneducated on the realities of different cultures and people. A person who mistakenly calls a Guatemalan a Mexican isn't always going to be racist.
Not necessarily, but the OP asked "HOW is it considered racist" and I was explaining a situation when it could be taken as such... Filipino people don't like being called Chinese, for example, because it shows a lack of desire (or knowledge) to differentiate between Asian nationalities. That doesn't make one a racist, but usually implies a certain level of ignorance, which often go hand-in-hand. And in response to an above comment, I realize Mexican is a nationality and not a race - we just don't have a term for ignorance of nationality. Should I call it "nationalism?" I think that term would refer more to PRIDE in one's nationality, so I honestly can't think of a better word.

Quote:
And to explain what the OP is talking about, they are talking about how it has become politically incorrect or causes people to do the "::gasp::" when people basically just mention the term "Mexican" in a conversation relating to something about society, politics or just life.
Proof? I've never noticed such a thing, and I live in the most "PC-friendly" city in the nation... and we use the term Mexican all the time, usually just in reference to actual Mexicans. I don't notice anyone being called racist for using that word, so I think you all are just fabricating this crap.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:05 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
When did the word Mexican, become a racial slur?
Why am I getting called a racist, for saying someone from Mexico here illegally is a Mexican?

Is this what is has come to in the world of political correctness?
It's the over-simplification of the argument and the over simplification of terms. That's the biggest thing. Not to mention, the tone with which modern patriotism is expressed (read tea party members and the modern Republican congress).

Old 12-27-2010, 08:12 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
So then you're saying if a Canadian is in Japan and someone there mistakes him for an American, that person is racist?

But back to the OP's point - he was told using the word "Mexican" was racist. Because he used it in the same way that someone might use "Dutch treat" however.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:16 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So then you're saying if a Canadian is in Japan and someone there mistakes him for an American, that person is racist?

But back to the OP's point - he was told using the word "Mexican" was racist. Because he used it in the same way that someone might use "Dutch treat" however.
Living in Asia, yeah that happens a lot because they use a racial heuristic to determine national origin. So technically, yes, it is racist.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
No, but they might be perceived as a bit ignorant... I was mistaken for British while traveling in Amsterdam, and I took it as funny, but could have been offended (if I hated Brits). Different situation, though, since you also have to consider the intentions - and while some of us make fun of Canadians, you don't see pure hatred towards them very often. Btw, these are not MY thoughts on the original issue, just how I see it being perceived by some people.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:30 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Living in Asia, yeah that happens a lot because they use a racial heuristic to determine national origin. So technically, yes, it is racist.
No it's not racist. It's erroneous - but has to do with what people see or hear of most. Just like someone mistaking a North Korean for a South Korean here, or mistaking a Cambodian for a Vietnamese it's not racist to think someone came from a country other than the one they came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration