Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 11:30 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It is simply another excuse by the pro-illegal crowd. People that hire them know exactly what they are getting away with.
I'm not making an excuse why these processes shouldn't be followed, I'm basically calling out anybody who blames employers for hiring illegals...because legally there isn't currently any way they can avoid doing so. I'm speaking out in defense of employers who have good intentions and are unfortunately still taken advantage of due to something that is completely out of their control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
We own a business with 509 employees, and I guarantee not one of them is illegal.
I'm going to have to call BS on this...how can you be so sure all of them are legal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 01:56 PM

50,298 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I'm not making an excuse why these processes shouldn't be followed, I'm basically calling out anybody who blames employers for hiring illegals...because legally there isn't currently any way they can avoid doing so. I'm speaking out in defense of employers who have good intentions and are unfortunately still taken advantage of due to something that is completely out of their control.

I'm going to have to call BS on this...how can you be so sure all of them are legal?
Employers are being taken advantage of? I will say that is the first time I've ever heard that about illegal immigration.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Employers are being taken advantage of? I will say that is the first time I've ever heard that about illegal immigration.
Well, believe it because that's what's going on.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:42 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
Quote:

OK, it took 6 pages but I'm finally understanding your point. You are right. Sort of. Many employers do unwittingly hire illegals and don't deserve punishment but many also do it knowingly and deliberately. If the illegals weren't here in the first place the problem wouldn't exist. I see the illegal immigration problem as more of a team effort involving the illegals themselves (of course) an apathetic border control policy, and the population (that would be you and me) who tolerates it.

The issue in the US is that we have so many races, cultures, and languages it's hard to tell at a glance who is citizen, legal, or illegal. We can't easily sort them out without stepping on the constitutional rights of people who have the legal right to be here unmolested. Penalizing employers will not entirely solve the problem but securing the borders will.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
OK, it took 6 pages but I'm finally understanding your point. You are right. Sort of. Many employers do unwittingly hire illegals and don't deserve punishment but many also do it knowingly and deliberately. If the illegals weren't here in the first place the problem wouldn't exist. I see the illegal immigration problem as more of a team effort involving the illegals themselves (of course) an apathetic border control policy, and the population (that would be you and me) who tolerates it.

The issue in the US is that we have so many races, cultures, and languages it's hard to tell at a glance who is citizen, legal, or illegal. We can't easily sort them out without stepping on the constitutional rights of people who have the legal right to be here unmolested. Penalizing employers will not entirely solve the problem but securing the borders will.
Finally a decent response to my posts...and it only took 6 pages to get there.

+1

Old 03-29-2011, 03:30 PM

This is opening another can of worms but it really frustrates me that people make assumptions about somebody's immigration status by them speaking another language or by displaying a flag from their nation of origin, etc.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:54 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
Quote:
Wow, so just because there are Mexicans working there and they have a Mexican flag now suddenly they're illegals?
Quote:
What's wrong with showing some pride for their heritage anyway? I don't understand why you'd be offended by a Mexican flag.
Also, I still don't understand how you can claim you don't hire any illegals. Please elaborate.
If you don't know, then that just shows your true intentions on this board

Last edited by mkfarnam; 03-29-2011 at 04:18 PM..

Old 03-29-2011, 03:55 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Wow, so just because there are Mexicans working there and they have a Mexican flag now suddenly they're illegals? What's wrong with showing some pride for their heritage anyway? I don't understand why you'd be offended by a Mexican flag.

Also, I still don't understand how you can claim you don't hire any illegals. Please elaborate.
The company has been in my mom’s area for over 40 years, and until recently, the only flags flown were the U.S. and State of MD. This is not Mexico, so there is no reason for a company to display the Mexican flag. I found it highly offensive, and I conveyed my displeasure to the management, at which time, I also informed them they had just lost a loyal customer. I told my mom, and she told her friends, neighbors, and members of her church. They may still get business from the HOAs in the area due to contractual obligations, but they have lost the business of many.

Apparently, it is more important for them to make their Mexican employees feel at home by flying their flag, than it is to retain the business of loyal patrons. That is certainly their prerogative. Again, if I “suspect” a company employs illegals, I refuse to patronize their business. As a paying customer, that is also my prerogative.

When I need help with landscaping or yard work, I use two guys who have a small business in the area. I know for a fact they are U.S. citizens, as one is an acquaintance of one of my brothers. I clean my own house, and I no longer use car washes due to the “change” in staff. It is well-documented that the majority of Mexicans currently residing in this country are here illegally. Therefore, if a business primarily employs Mexicans, I assume they are illegal. I prefer to err on the side of caution, than to give one penny to an illegal employer. If I’m wrong, so be it.

As previously stated, if you employ illegals, that’s on you. Are you trying to assuage a guilty conscience by using the “everybody does it” excuse?

Old 03-29-2011, 03:55 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
I'm not going to say that isn't a possibility, but you're making an assumption that could very well prove to not be the case. There could be alot of things that could cause a change in the employment base. In the end they have to base hires on their applicant pool. If the majority of their applicants are Latino then it'd be logical that the majority of their new hires would also be Latino. In fact, if that weren't the case they would be at risk for running into OFCCP Compliance issues.

This statement is preposterous. I've never even heard of this association before. I really doubt there is a strong correlation either way and think it's a little bizarre to draw this conclusion.
That still doesn't explain why none of the white or black workers are there anymore. Surely you can connect the dots. I have seen legal Hispanics fly the Mexican flag at their homes and even on their cars but I haven't seen any nurseries or other public businesses do so that had an entire non-hispanic workforce and then all of a sudden they are let go and all Mexicans are hired and then the Mexican flag pops up outside their business. Something is defiinately fishy. I would be curious if the business owner was Hispanic himself. I got the impression that he wasn't.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:05 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Finally a decent response to my posts...and it only took 6 pages to get there.

+1
This is certainly NOT the first time a similar sentiment has been expressed in response to one of your E-Verify threads. We all acknowledge the fact that “some” employers unknowingly, and despite their best efforts, employ illegal aliens. That has never been disputed, and you know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration