Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 08:16 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,676,928 times

Advertisements

That's interesting. If only the US followed Mexico's example...

Australian Illegal Immigrant Sues Mexico - Fox News Latino

But no. Let's give them the world in a silver platter.

Let's fight those who are trying to enforce our federal laws and let's call them racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 08:21 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,922,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
That's interesting. If only the US followed Mexico's example...

Australian Illegal Immigrant Sues Mexico - Fox News Latino

But no. Let's give them the world in a silver platter.

Let's fight those who are trying to enforce our federal laws and let's call them racist.
Well, remember. It's racist if we enforce our immigration laws, and homophobic if we happen to detain someone who is gay. But if Mexico does it, then it's ok. They aren't racists or gay-haters, they're just trying to protect their country

Old 04-23-2011, 11:56 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,044,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Well, remember. It's racist if we enforce our immigration laws, and homophobic if we happen to detain someone who is gay. But if Mexico does it, then it's ok. They aren't racists or gay-haters, they're just trying to protect their country
Its not racist to enforce laws. Its racist when you target a specific group. The two most discriminated ethnicities are very well represented in our prison system. Besides, the issue of illegal immigration does attract racists from both sides.

No one said that there aren't homophobic views in Mexico. No one said that there weren't any racists in Mexico either. It exists everywhere, in every society. Just like there are very open minded people in every society. How do you explain that in Mexico gays can actually legally get married?

I'm proud of this man for suing Mexico. We need more people to step up and do the same in Mexico. Living under those conditions in a prison, denying him of basic rights such as showers and the right to know why he was detained. Let him sue and hope this will trigger a change in the current system.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:06 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,922,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Its not racist to enforce laws. Its racist when you target a specific group. The two most discriminated ethnicities are very well represented in our prison system. Besides, the issue of illegal immigration does attract racists from both sides.

No one said that there aren't homophobic views in Mexico. No one said that there weren't any racists in Mexico either. It exists everywhere, in every society. Just like there are very open minded people in every society. How do you explain that in Mexico gays can actually legally get married?

I'm proud of this man for suing Mexico. We need more people to step up and do the same in Mexico. Living under those conditions in a prison, denying him of basic rights such as showers and the right to know why he was detained. Let him sue and hope this will trigger a change in the current system.
You didn't get my post. I was saying that Mexico is allowed to enforce its immigration laws, while we can't.

And besides, Mexicans can only get married in the DF. That's hardly legalized gay marriage

Old 04-23-2011, 12:24 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,557,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post

How is it racist to target illegal aliens, regardless of race/ethnicity?

Old 04-23-2011, 12:34 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,676,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
How is it racist to target illegal aliens, regardless of race/ethnicity?
You are always going to be called racist if you oppose illegal immigration.

Even if you NEVER mention race. It's just how it is.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You didn't get my post. I was saying that Mexico is allowed to enforce its immigration laws, while we can't.

And besides, Mexicans can only get married in the DF. That's hardly legalized gay marriage
These are the only places where gay marriages are recognized:
Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, plus Washington, D.C. and the Coquille Indian Tribe in Oregon. Outside of these places, gay marriages do not exist. Unlike Mexico, you can marry in Mexico DF and that marriage is LEGALLY recognized in ALL of the Mexican Republic.

Mexico has always enforced its laws. That is why they don't have such a mess like we do. We didn't enforce our laws for a LONG period of time because it benefited our economy in many ways. Its not okay to enforce them at times and not others. That is why many are calling on legalization for those that have been have been affected by this. Some have children and even grandchildren here. This in my opinion is wrong. Laws should be enforced all the time and we should not have contradictory laws enforced at the same time. You don't see that in Mexico. That is what our goal should be. To have immigration laws in uniform. The longer we wait, the worse it will be to repair the damage.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
You are always going to be called racist if you oppose illegal immigration.

Even if you NEVER mention race. It's just how it is.
Not really. There are people that support the cause because they believe this is the best for the country. That I can respect. Of course, you will believe what you want to believe.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:45 PM

Getting back on topic:

This is what concerns me about this man.

Quote:
Compton said he was picked up by immigration officers in a hotel lobby in Acapulco in November 2009 and was asked to accompany them to their "offices." He was taken instead to a migrant detention facility in Mexico City where he had to sleep in a lobby — separated from the rest of the detainees, he was told, because he is gay — and did not have regular access to showers or a telephone.
Read more: Australian Illegal Immigrant Sues Mexico - Fox News Latino

I hope he wins the case...

Old 04-23-2011, 04:27 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,411,561 times
Why would an Australian want to be an illegal in Mexico? This guy sounds weird if I was a Mexican immigration official I'd deport him as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration