Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 04:34 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,553,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
So if thousands of Americans living illegally in Mexico booed the Mexican baseball team on home soil while aggressively cheering the USA team that would OK?
Yup, that'd be fine with me!

If thousands of Americans, whether legal or illegal immigrants or just visitors cheered the US national team on Mexican soil, I'd still not give a s--t.

Anyways I get it...you don't think any of those Mexican fans in LA were legal immigrants. It's not like there aren't any 2nd/3rd/4th/5th generation Mexican-Americans in Southern California or not as if Mexicans couldn't have travelled up from Mexico a couple hours away for the game...

Last edited by Deezus; 07-21-2011 at 04:55 PM..

Old 07-21-2011, 04:50 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,824,456 times
I haven't lived in NYC for years but I still cheer for the Yankees no matter where I'm living... should I move back to NYC?

I tell you what. All those Irish people or Brazillian people or whoever cheering for the corresponding team in the world cup... I think we should kick them all out of our local bars. Clearly they hate America and are going to start the revolution against us.

Who gives a crap who someone is cheering for in a soccer game. Booing the other side is what rowdy fans do. Sheesh.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:54 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,334,991 times
So a bunch of immigrants root for the old country's team. Big deal. It's a soccer game. I know some Italian-Americans who were pulling for Italy in the World Cup. That hardly makes 'em traitors.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:19 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,553,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I haven't lived in NYC for years but I still cheer for the Yankees no matter where I'm living... should I move back to NYC?

I tell you what. All those Irish people or Brazillian people or whoever cheering for the corresponding team in the world cup... I think we should kick them all out of our local bars. Clearly they hate America and are going to start the revolution against us.

Who gives a crap who someone is cheering for in a soccer game. Booing the other side is what rowdy fans do. Sheesh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
So a bunch of immigrants root for the old country's team. Big deal. It's a soccer game. I know some Italian-Americans who were pulling for Italy in the World Cup. That hardly makes 'em traitors.
Because it's Mexicans. If it was Dominicans in New York cheering for the Dominican baseball team or Chinese in the Bay Area or Irish fans in Boston or Poles in Chicago, there wouldn't be a thread on it.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:28 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,212,940 times
Quote:
So if thousands of Americans living illegally in Mexico booed the Mexican baseball team and their national anthem on home soil while aggressively cheering the USA team that would OK? Because it's just sports, right?
Is this serious? It's sports.

Every time I go to a Sixers/Knicks game, a huge percentage of the crowd are Knicks fans who have moved to Philly. Traitors to Philadelphia, by your standard.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:49 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,795,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Because it's Mexicans. If it was Dominicans in New York cheering for the Dominican baseball team or Chinese in the Bay Area or Irish fans in Boston or Poles in Chicago, there wouldn't be a thread on it.
I highly doubt there are immigrants of other countries that are behaving very obnoxiously and boorishly at games.

It's fine to sit quietly and hope your real country wins, even if you're soaking in the American money you really adore while disliking the USA intensely.

However I suspect some immigrants actually have taken a liking to the USA and have some pride in and allegience to their adopted country.

Really -- if you are so patriotic that you have to wilding and loudly display it, it's only fair to ask what the hell you're doing living in this country. Por que -- ahi esta la puerta.

Or how do you say in Spanish, "don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya". If you love your country or have so much pride in it, go prove it and live there.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I highly doubt there are immigrants of other countries that are behaving very obnoxiously and boorishly at games.

It's fine to sit quietly and hope your real country wins, even if you're soaking in the American money you really adore while disliking the USA intensely.
WTF is wrong with you.

It's SPORTS. You don't switch teams when you move around. Disliking the US has nothing to do with it.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:06 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,795,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
WTF is wrong with you.

It's SPORTS. You don't switch teams when you move around. Disliking the US has nothing to do with it.
So us the cases of other immigrants wildly cheering against the USA team?

I think there could be Germans or Polish for example who do quietly hope their country's team wins but even then I'd wonder why they abandoned their country.

I did once speak with an Irish woman who was insisting on how much better everything is in Ireland and I asked her why she doesn't move back there. She said because she needs the Medicare she's getting here. And yes, I found that rather disgusting.

As far as their patriotism and love for their country - I think it's great -- as long as they live there. If they can't stand the thought of living in their country, working there and helping to make it better, then I think they should restrain themselves just a bit because it makes them look pathetic and obnoxious.

Actually I think the same goes for someone living in Ohio who boasts all the time about the state he left but won't live in. I'm sure there are some American citizen buffoons who do behave boorishly like that - but not huge numbers of them.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:17 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,021,122 times
Quote:
Logic fail. If Sanchez represents the new American immigrant who thinks it's perfectly okay to hate America while his "heart" and loyalty lies in another country, what do you think will happen to this country if we continue to allow Mexican illegals who show no allegiance to the USA to come here?
Some people will pull for a different soccer team than you do? Wow, this sounds pretty serious.

Quote:
Births To Illegal Immigrants Are Studied
About 340,000 of the 4.3 million babies born in the United States in 2008 — or 8 percent — had at least one parent who was an illegal immigrant, according to a study published Wednesday by the Pew Hispanic Center, a nonpartisan research group in Washington.

About 85 percent of the parents who are illegal immigrants are Hispanic, the Pew Center said.
Obviously the Pew Center must be racist for pointing out that the vast majority of illegal immigrants are Hispanic, right?
Pointing this out isn't racist.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So us the cases of other immigrants wildly cheering against the USA team?

I think there could be Germans or Polish for example who do quietly hope their country's team wins but even then I'd wonder why they abandoned their country.

I did once speak with an Irish woman who was insisting on how much better everything is in Ireland and I asked her why she doesn't move back there. She said because she needs the Medicare she's getting here. And yes, I found that rather disgusting.

As far as their patriotism and love for their country - I think it's great -- as long as they live there. If they can't stand the thought of living in their country, working there and helping to make it better, then I think they should restrain themselves just a bit because it makes them look pathetic and obnoxious.

Actually I think the same goes for someone living in Ohio who boasts all the time about the state he left but won't live in. I'm sure there are some American citizen buffoons who do behave boorishly like that - but not huge numbers of them.
It's not boorish to root for the SPORTS TEAMS of the place you grew up in, dude.

There doesn't need to be a discussion of people who say "place X is better" but live in place Y. It's sports. Sports.

For the record, if someone moves to a new city and immediately abandons their old teams, I consider them to be tools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration