Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 11:42 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times

Advertisements

Why come here if they hate America so much? Why do they feel so entitled that they refuse to assimilate like millions of others before them have done?

Immigrants, don't boo U.S. teams
I wouldn't go as far as those on the cultural right who worry that we're witnessing an invasion, an erosion of American culture and a threat to our national identity. That's nonsense. Check with me in 10 years when the children of those Mexican soccer fans are watching English-language television and listening to pop music on the latest gadget.

Yet, something here is amiss. The Mexican immigrants of today are noticeably different from the Mexican immigrants of a few decades ago. They're more defiant, more entitled and more intent on preserving their culture and maintaining their love for a country they left behind -- one that hasn't always loved them back.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:53 AM

35 posts, read 37,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Why come here if they hate America so much? Why do they feel so entitled that they refuse to assimilate like millions of others before them have done?

I wouldn't go as far as those on the cultural right who worry that we're witnessing an invasion, an erosion of American culture and a threat to our national identity. That's nonsense. Check with me in 10 years when the children of those Mexican soccer fans are watching English-language television and listening to pop music on the latest gadget.

Yet, something here is amiss. The Mexican immigrants of today are noticeably different from the Mexican immigrants of a few decades ago. They're more defiant, more entitled and more intent on preserving their culture and maintaining their love for a country they left behind -- one that hasn't always loved them back.

I think it's pretty strange that they are running away from the country they claim to support (Mexico).. while they seem to hate the country they want to live in (United States)

What's wrong with the picture? How can they contradict themselves so badly?

Old 07-21-2011, 11:54 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times
Duplicate thread in the Politics section

Old 07-21-2011, 12:44 PM

951 posts, read 745,628 times

Old 07-21-2011, 01:18 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post

So this has nothing to do with illegal immigrants, right?

But if someone were to suggest it has something to do with racism, well, that would just be TOTALLY OUTRAGEOUS, right?

Old 07-21-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
So this has nothing to do with illegal immigrants, right?
Yes, it does. Both legal and illegal. Via the link-
The official attendance was 93,420. Plaschke estimated that at least 80,000 rooted for the Mexican team.

One of them was 37-year-old Victor Sanchez, who wore a Mexico jersey and told Plaschke: "I love this country, it has given me everything that I have, and I'm proud to be part of it. But yet, I didn't have a choice to come here, I was born in Mexico, and that is where my heart will always be."
Sanchez might not have had a choice to come here -- either because he was brought here as a child by his parents or because the poor economy in Mexico made it impractical for him to stay. But he has a choice now. He can stay here, or he can go back. If he stays, he ought to try to be more grateful to a country that has given him "everything" that he has. It's immigrant etiquette. Good manners intertwined with good citizenship. Were he to choose to go back to Mexico, he could cheer for whatever team he wanted.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:14 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,347 times
So wait, ONE of the people MIGHT be an illegal immigrant, ergo this story is "about" illegal immigration?

wow.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:23 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Booing the national anthem is bad and uncalled for, but people are free to cheer for whatever sports team they choose. Last year there was a US mens soccer match vs. Poland in Chicago--and guess who the majority of the fans were cheering for in that one. (And I doubt they all traveled over from Poland just for that match) Hey, it pisses me off when I go to a Portland Trailblazers game and over half the fans are there to support the Lakers or Celtics.

In addition to the fact that some of the crowd were actually visiting from Mexico, for the game I know someone who went to the US-Mexico match and said that actually most of the fans who were cheering for the US team were actually Mexicans or other Hispanics as well. In much of the US the majority of the fanbase for any soccer match is Latinos...

Truth is, that if the US national mens soccer team was any good they might have more American fans in general including Mexican-Americans. Most Mexicans have followed Mexican soccer for years, as until recently the MLS didn't even exist. So the players on the Mexican team are who they know and have followed for years.

I'm all for shutting down illegal immigration, but sports team allegiences are another matter altogether. Hey, I still root for Team Canada vs. the US in hockey and I only lived there 4 years...

Old 07-21-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
So wait, ONE of the people MIGHT be an illegal immigrant, ergo this story is "about" illegal immigration?
Logic fail. If Sanchez represents the new American immigrant who thinks it's perfectly okay to hate America while his "heart" and loyalty lies in another country, what do you think will happen to this country if we continue to allow Mexican illegals who show no allegiance to the USA to come here?

Births To Illegal Immigrants Are Studied
About 340,000 of the 4.3 million babies born in the United States in 2008 — or 8 percent — had at least one parent who was an illegal immigrant, according to a study published Wednesday by the Pew Hispanic Center, a nonpartisan research group in Washington.

About 85 percent of the parents who are illegal immigrants are Hispanic, the Pew Center said.
Obviously the Pew Center must be racist for pointing out that the vast majority of illegal immigrants are Hispanic, right?

Old 07-21-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Booing the national anthem is bad and uncalled for, but people are free to cheer for whatever sports team they choose. Last year there was a US mens soccer match vs. Poland in Chicago--and guess who the majority of the fans were cheering for in that one. (And I doubt they all traveled over from Poland just for that match) Hey, it pisses me off when I go to a Portland Trailblazers game and over half the fans are there to support the Lakers or Celtics.

I'm all for shutting down illegal immigration, but sports team allegiences are another matter altogether. Hey, I still root for Team Canada vs. the US in hockey and I only lived there 4 years...
So if thousands of Americans living illegally in Mexico booed the Mexican baseball team and their national anthem on home soil while aggressively cheering the USA team that would OK? Because it's just sports, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration