Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 03:01 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times

Advertisements

"The House Judiciary Committee will mark up a bill from Chairman Lamar Smith (R-Texas) on Thursday morning that would require all U.S. employers to use E-Verify, the Department of Homeland Security system that checks whether new hires are eligible to work in the United States".

"Smith called on President Obama to make E-Verify part of his jobs plan on Monday, arguing the law could open up millions of jobs for legal residents as the unemployment remains above 9 percent. The program checks candidates' Social Security numbers against a federal database to verify they are allowed to work in the U.S".

http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/technology/181291-e-verify-bill-goes-to-committee-markup-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 06:15 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,138,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
"The House Judiciary Committee will mark up a bill from Chairman Lamar Smith (R-Texas) on Thursday morning that would require all U.S. employers to use E-Verify, the Department of Homeland Security system that checks whether new hires are eligible to work in the United States".

"Smith called on President Obama to make E-Verify part of his jobs plan on Monday, arguing the law could open up millions of jobs for legal residents as the unemployment remains above 9 percent. The program checks candidates' Social Security numbers against a federal database to verify they are allowed to work in the U.S".

http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/technology/181291-e-verify-bill-goes-to-committee-markup-
Damn, that sounds great, but, I'll bet bet Obama
finds some way to stop it. Gotta keep the La Raza
crowd happy you know.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:21 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
looks like an outstanding idea. But what teeth are in it? What I mean whats the penalty for being in violation?

Old 09-14-2011, 07:12 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
looks like an outstanding idea. But what teeth are in it? What I mean whats the penalty for being in violation?
Good question. If the penalty is just a slap on the wrist then it isn't going to work. I would imagine that the Republicans will put a stiff fine in it at least I hope so. Also, if this law is passed then I would like for it to include checking current hires also.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:16 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Good question. If the penalty is just a slap on the wrist then it isn't going to work. I would imagine that the Republicans will put a stiff fine in it at least I hope so. Also, if this law is passed then I would like for it to include checking current hires also.
And that is the problem with writing laws for the sake of writing laws.
1. They tend to be weak or worthless .
2. They tend to lack any real penalty.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:22 PM

222 posts, read 501,012 times
This is an excellent bill...not perfect but a HUGE STEP in the right direction. Anyone concerned about Americas future should be calling all representatives telling them to support it. Numbersusa.com has a lot contact info on the site.. America was king of the mountain but now the wheels are headed downhill fast. We must start being active...or face becoming a 3rd world country soon ...real soon folks..

Old 09-15-2011, 05:46 AM

327 posts, read 320,205 times
Quote:

We shall see whos side the president is on.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:48 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,679,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd love View Post
We shall see whos side the president is on.

Hasn't he already made that more than clear?

Old 09-15-2011, 05:58 AM

327 posts, read 320,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Hasn't he already made that more than clear?
I see civil war ahead. If the american people are not represented.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:05 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Last year I had a new roof put on my house. It cost just about $10,000. I had asked the contractor if he used local help before I gave him the bid and my 50% down payment. He told me yes; that he did use local help. Our economy was not good and I wanted my money to help our local economy.

When the crew showed up only one of the seven workers spoke English. They did work hard and without breaks. But; that was not where I wanted my money to go. I did not want some of my money shipped out of our country. That was counter productive to improving our economy.

There are other issues besides where my money went. Such as companies that prosper because they do not pay prevailing wages or they don’t report the wages they did pay or all the employees that work. Then you have safety, environmental issues and all the gains American workers have made over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration