Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 03:53 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
I know couple families from Mexico here illegally,they are working here, going back home after saving so much,working on their place there then come back.They say they have no intention of becoming U.S. Citizens for the simple fact they have too much in Mexico and are not going to give it up.
They actually cannot become U.S. citizens from having no immigration status, even if they wanted to...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 04:03 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Thank you Rick. Some people tend to think I am not credible at all because what I say doesn't fit their pro illegal agenda. I was taken to Brazil in 1986 when I was 2. I came back up here for the first time in 17 years in August of 2003. I heard many stories about people who were buying properties and building houses back home. It is not uncommon there. Everyone in the country knows someone who is here ilegally.

I was one of those who had acquaintances who paid big bucks to coyotes to be brought into the country illegally. I knew it was wrong back then and I feel the same way now. This particular guy, Marcello, came from a middle-class family and came to the US illegally when I was about 13. He had a 9 year old son who was brought up here by coyotes a couple years after Marcello left. He said he wanted his son to come to the US because everything is free in America. He said his son was going to get a free education and free healthcare and that all Brazilians know that is how things are here.

People who defend these folks just don't get it. They do come here for the freebies provided for by hardworking Americans like myself. They even protest when they don't get their way. It is nothing new. If you think they just want to become Americans I've got news to tell you...

Bravo Bravo, who could argue with facts and truth, not a person on here, very well stated, very well said. And unlike others on here, you would know. Thank you for being completely honest, but i think so many do understand what you are saying. So many who come here are not coming to become Proud Americans, but what they can get from America, and take back to their homes!

Old 10-10-2011, 04:26 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Roughly 25% of illegal aliens are single. Another 6 or 7% have no US citizen children. That is roughly half of the illegal alien work force.

So they all came here for the free emergency medical and free school for elementary level children?

Does not compute.

Work and wages makes a lot more sense.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:43 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Roughly 25% of illegal aliens are single. Another 6 or 7% have no US citizen children. That is roughly half of the illegal alien work force.

So they all came here for the free emergency medical and free school for elementary level children?

Does not compute.

Work and wages makes a lot more sense.
That means half do. That's a huge strain on our educational system in some places.

Many illegals do come here because they are too lazy and dumb to make it in their own countries. About half don't even have a high school diploma. The work they find often means working off the books or at lowered wages and thus contributing very little to our economy.

It makes no sense at all to give them unearned citizenship. All you do is increase their access to the American welfare system even further. We should not be held accountable for the fiscal desires of a largely Latino underclass that only serves to prop up dictators back in their own countries.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
That means half do. That's a huge strain on our educational system in some places.

Many illegals do come here because they are too lazy and dumb to make it in their own countries. About half don't even have a high school diploma. The work they find often means working off the books or at lowered wages and thus contributing very little to our economy.

It makes no sense at all to give them unearned citizenship. All you do is increase their access to the American welfare system even further. We should not be held accountable for the fiscal desires of a largely Latino underclass that only serves to prop up dictators back in their own countries.
The issue is why they come. This thread puts forth a thesis that it is for the "freebies". But they have no access to the American welfare system other than the emergency room.

So we agree that at least half of the work force is here for something other than the "freebies"?

Old 10-10-2011, 05:12 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,346,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
The issue is why they come. This thread puts forth a thesis that it is for the "freebies". But they have no access to the American welfare system other than the emergency room.

So we agree that at least half of the work force is here for something other than the "freebies"?

K-12 education

Old 10-10-2011, 05:23 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
...It makes no sense at all to give them unearned citizenship...
It makes no sense to argue that they are given citizenship, because they aren't...

Old 10-10-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
K-12 education
Ten percent of them have children.. A normal benefit available in the home country.

And the 40%?

Old 10-10-2011, 07:24 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Were they legal or illegal?! And how many millions are here mooching off the taxpayers at the present time?
That is irrelevant to the premise being put forth by in the Op.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:30 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Today illegals are discouraged from going home where there are certainly jobs and much lower unemployment than in this country, Mexico has an unemployment rate of about 5%. But it doesn't have the food stamps, Medicaid, WIC coupons that make it so difficult to leave the USA.
You were saying?
Oportunidades (English: Opportunities) is a government social assistance program in Mexico founded in 2002, based on a previous program called Progresa, created in 1997.[1] It is designed to target poverty by providing cash payments to families in exchange for regular school attendance, health clinic visits, and nutritional support.[2] Oportunidades is credited with decreasing poverty and improving health and educational attainment in regions in which it has been deployed.[3] As of 2006, around one-quarter of Mexico's population participates in Oportunidades.
Oportunidades - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The evidence indicates that the illegal population declined after July 2007 and then rebounded somewhat in the summer of 2008 before resuming its decline in the fall of 2008 and into the first quarter of 2009. Both increased immigration enforcement and the recession seem to explain this decline. There is evidence that the decline was caused by both fewer illegal immigrants coming and an increase in the number returning home.
A Shifting Tide: Recent Trends in the Illegal Immigrant Population | Center for Immigration Studies

As I say, never let ignorance stand in the way of a good rant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration