Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 07:24 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
400,000 illegals deported last year, the most deportations in history, the number of illegals attempting to enter the country is at an all time low for the past 20 years.

Just what isn't the federal government doing?
Not enough given the magnitude of the problem......

Old 10-24-2011, 07:24 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Yeah right.............thanks libs...............those Baby Momma Bennies put generation upon generation of people into poverty..........great job.
Next time, do try to write a sentence that is not incomprehensible.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:35 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Spanish is only widely spoken in Latin America. Spanish, unlike English, is not a language of business or science or the arts. Millions of people speak Mandarin Chinese. Most people aren't rushing to learn Chinese because it's of little use outside of China.

Just because a lot people speak a language in one specific area does not mean that the language has wide currency or usefulness.

The productive solution is to stop handing them freebies like paid access to our universities and tell them to move back home and fix up their own damned countries. The Great American Middle Class has enough burdens without being ordered to fix those of Latin America's underclass.

What do you call someone who moves to another country and refuses to learn the dominant language? An illegal.

Learning another language is a great idea. Demanding we learn Spanish to make life easier for Latino illegals is colonization.

Learn English BEFORE you get here or go home. Living here without fluency is simply rude. Demanding that Americans learn Spanish because you showed up uninvited should get you kicked out.
Eleanora, your best post ever !

Old 10-24-2011, 07:57 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Spanish is only widely spoken in Latin America. Spanish, unlike English, is not a language of business or science or the arts. Millions of people speak Mandarin Chinese. Most people aren't rushing to learn Chinese because it's of little use outside of China.
Huh, and I thought Spanish was also spoken in Spain? (50 million people) ... as for "only widely spoken in Latin America", that's nearly 600 million folks -- nearly double the population of the United States. And I guess someone should tell more people in the world than speak English that their language is not one of "business or science or the arts" ... I'm sure they'll be intrigued to learn their contributions and activities in those areas have been conducted incomprehensibly.

Quote:
Just because a lot people speak a language in one specific area does not mean that the language has wide currency or usefulness.
Uh, actually, it does ... and, by the way, that "one specific area" includes over 1/3 of the planet's land mass since Spanish is spoken widely across N. America as well as Latin America.

Quote:
The productive solution is to stop handing them freebies like paid access to our universities and tell them to move back home and fix up their own damned countries. The Great American Middle Class has enough burdens without being ordered to fix those of Latin America's underclass.
"They" aren't being "handed" and "freebies" like paid access to universities ... if you take the trouble to actually read the Dream Act you will note that it allows for undocumented California youth who qualify for university admission -- based on equal academic merit -- to be considered for financial aid after documented CA students have been accommodated first ... you'll also note that the estimates by the university system are that no more than 2% of its financial aid funding is likely to be used for these few students who do qualify.

As for "fixing their own damned countries" ... it is highly unlikely that a bunch of field workers and construction laborers and hotel maids can turn around third world economies -- especially when they don't have access to education ... huh.

Quote:
Learning another language is a great idea. Demanding we learn Spanish to make life easier for Latino illegals is colonization.
No one is "demanding [you] learn Spanish to make life easier for latino illegals" ... show me the demand.

Quote:
Learn English BEFORE you get here or go home. Living here without fluency is simply rude. Demanding that Americans learn Spanish because you showed up uninvited should get you kicked out.
One of my grandfathers came here from Norway ... 60 years later he still could hardly hold a conversation in English ... he was a productive member of society regardless ... intelligent, hard-working fisherman, just no good at languages ... and worked with mostly other Norwegian immigrants where he was most comfortable not being ridiculed.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
No you are wrong. Pressing 2 is a sign of invasion & conquering. Not because how many people in the world speak it. Chinese was spoken by more people than any language for centuries. I have never press 2 for Chinese!
1. stay tuned -- you may yet get your chance to press #2 (or #1) for Chinese ... thing is, Chinese is Very difficult for most people not raised with it to learn ... Spanish is one of the easiest languages ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Not all but many hispanics do not want to assimilate. Illegals are not helping at that as they are trying to invade & conquer our nation, by demeaning the English foundation of this country and culture.
Lmao! So it's a conspiracy? 10's of millions of Latinos have secret meetings and planning sessions to plan an invasion to conquer America?

As for "demeaning the foundation" of our country and culture: our country and culture was founded by many fine foreign individuals of great character and strength who spoke many languages when they arrived -- and who then sacrificed and bled and worked together for the better of all. I see none of those character traits in the whiners of entitlement contributing bigotry to this thread. The constant whining is demeaning to the history of America.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
This is America not a Christian theocracy. ...
COOL! Someone quick go tell the Christian conservatives who are hell bent on proving otherwise!

Quote:
I'll stop disliking illegals when they stop driving on my roads without permission, overcrowding my schools, forging documents, working off the books without paying taxes, obey our immigration laws and learn English. Accusing people of racism because they don't like illegals is an insult to victims of real racism.
Whoa! I had no idea I was trespassing here! You own all this? No wonder you demand that everyone fall in with your position. I had thought this was a democratic melting pot nation where people of differing viewpoints attempted to understand all points of view and engage in compromise for the better of all. Silly me.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
Nullgeo, No, I dont find it ironic, I find it sad & fustrating. Something medical has happened to my brain/mind, and because of this, my written word stinks. My thought process is fine, but alas, I just cant get it "out". I'm glad I have become a form of entertainment for you though. I'm always happy to help build anothers ego. I didnt know personal attacks were what these boards are all about. I love to read others views & opinions, and I try my hardest to give mine. And believe me, it is hard work.

My point is, that being born here or a legal immigrant and english speaking, should NOT make you unemployable because you cant speak spanish. ... Would any other country change their language for others, or would you expect them too? ...
Your attempt at chastisement is misplaced:
1. if you engage in written exchange about the subject of language without disclosing you have a disability in that regard then you earn response based on the merits -- or lack thereof -- you present ...
2. my comment on irony hardly constitutes "ridicule" in any case
3. I am also a multi-disabled individual (since age 18 -- combat service on behalf of this country) ... I neither expect nor accept special consideration or sympathy for my reality.
And my ego doesn't need building, regardless ... I have lived more challenges than you would believe if I were to biograph myself, so I'll refrain detail. But I will say that I don't argue here because I support illegal immigration -- I don't. I simply hate shallow, knee-jerk bigotry in any form. Bigotry is not only defined racially. The definition is applied to discrimination of groups of common characteristics. I also hate whining by people born into the greatest country on earth who have so much, yet who, with nothing more than an illusion of entitlement based on birth, have so little concept of true struggle that they condemn others in demeaning hatred.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
... Be proactive and let us work to stop the Dream Act as CA doesn't have the money to waste...
Dialogue and examination of the issues is fine ... opposing legislation based on well considered, rational examination of issues is also the American way ... and while you are engaging in this education of the issues, be sure to actually read the Dream Act and understand its costs and benefits ... be sure to calculate the costs of perpetuating ignorance ... crime and imprisonment, etc. for the illiterate ... the immigrants, legal or illegal, are here ... have always been here ... will continue to be here as long as America holds the greatest attraction for less fortunate world citizens. Our economy has integrated the labor of the illegals ... we would suffer greatly -- worse than we are now -- if all the illegals were somehow magically deported without a substitute system in place ... making their children suffer illiteracy only guarantees more pain and cost for America.

And finally, if you all need to rant and hate: all the money in the world is being wrung out of your pockets and manipulated by legal citizens who use English words in a language you also do not understand: the language of exotic finance. You all sign contracts for mortgages and cars and retirement investments and insurance policies -- and you understand virtually none of it -- and it bites every one of you in the arse every day. Meanwhile you focus your anger and hatred on a bunch of dirt-poor folks scraping to get by who don't have a pot to p*ss in collectively and no control over your lives. And you let these other "legal" criminal citizens run away with your lives -- which they do by speaking a language you do not understand or speak either.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:46 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
You are wrong. The Direct contribution to California's economy from Agriculture is abotu $40 billion. The indirect (groceries, tractor purchases, insurance, autos for the workers, farm over head, etc and etc is about 10 times that, or close to 1/4 of the entire $1.9 trillion California economy.

About 80% of ag workers in Ca are illegal. You remove 80% of the labor force from an industry, and it collapses, you collapse 25% of a state's economy, the rest of it implodes right along side.

This sentence indicates a lack of knowledge of farm labor, migrant or non migrant, legal or not legal have nothing to do with each other.
For all the USA, there are only about 1 million jobs in agriculture. Even if half are held by illegals, that's 500,000 illegals in agriculture which doesn't begin to account for all the illegals in this country.

Most illegals are not working in agriculture, and there is no excuse not to hire H2A visas workers as there are no caps on that visa.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:36 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
This thread lacks focus and consists mostly of rants and people fighting each other.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration