Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 03:31 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,476,369 times

Advertisements

Now this is the most amazing thing..........(sarcasm on) here I thought we were all too lazy to work and our economy would collapse were it not for the noble, hardworking illegal aliens doing the jobs Americans won't do.(sarcasm off)

Quote:
Americans Are World's Most Productive Workers, U.N. Report Finds

GENEVA — American workers stay longer in the office, at the factory or on the farm than their counterparts in Europe and most other rich nations, and they produce more per person over the year.

They also get more done per hour than everyone but the Norwegians, according to a U.N. report released Monday, which said the United States "leads the world in labor productivity."

The average U.S. worker produces $63,885 of wealth per year, more than their counterparts in all other countries, the International Labor Organization said in its report. Ireland comes in second at $55,986, followed by Luxembourg at $55,641, Belgium at $55,235 and France at $54,609.

The productivity figure is found by dividing the country's gross domestic product by the number of people employed. The U.N. report is based on 2006 figures for many countries, or the most recent available.

Only part of the U.S. productivity growth, which has outpaced that of many other developed economies, can be explained by the longer hours Americans are putting in, the ILO said.

The U.S., according to the report, also beats all 27 nations in the European Union, Japan and Switzerland in the amount of wealth created per hour of work — a second key measure of productivity.
FOXNews.com - Americans Are World's Most Productive Workers, U.N. Report Finds - Business And Money | Business News | Financial News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 03:47 PM

149 posts, read 548,277 times
American workers are productive because of the automation of what manufacturing jobs remain on our soil. Most labor intensive industries have already moved overseas - textiles - furniture - and of course the auto assembly plants in Mexico.

It isn't that Americans are industrious but rather that, thanks to the tools and automation in the workplace, Americans are efficient. And of course we work a longer work week with fewer vacation days than almost any other developed country!

Kind of hard not to be produtive!

Old 09-03-2007, 03:57 PM

447 posts, read 797,976 times
yep...leave it to the naysayers....
most americans, poster, are hard working people, the labor force, does not simply belong to production , assembly and manufacturing fields...it also consists of air conditioning workers, construction workers, landscapers, deliverymen and women, people who work at stores, and fast food etc.... americans are hard working people, and i'm tired of others saying otherwise.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivski View Post
yep...leave it to the naysayers....
most americans, poster, are hard working people, the labor force, does not simply belong to production , assembly and manufacturing fields...it also consists of air conditioning workers, construction workers, landscapers, deliverymen and women, people who work at stores, and fast food etc.... americans are hard working people, and i'm tired of others saying otherwise.
I apologize.

I did not mean to leave out these other fields. Construction workers benefit from factory made trusses that are placed using huge cranes - windows and doors that are made in factories - pre-assembled cabinets - etc. Landscapers use riding lawnmowers - gas trimmers - gas operated blowers - sod is delivered ready to be placed. Delivery persons have satellite tracking - and routes drawn up by computers. Cashiers have doubled their efficiency with the use of bar codes and computer based checkout system - no more cash registers!

American technology and automation has touched virtually every job in this country. Even blacksmithing thanks to the electric bellows.

And don't forget the extra hours we put in on the job!!!!!!

I'm not putting down the American worker - they do their jobs well - I'm just questioning the reasons for their remarkable productivity. It isn't bad to use this technology but trying to claim that American workers are super human is just plain wrong!

Old 09-03-2007, 05:04 PM

447 posts, read 797,976 times
nobody said they were super human...no-one is, but at least give them the credit they do deserve....

Old 09-03-2007, 06:25 PM

537 posts, read 441,121 times
Poster, do you hate Americans and the country?

Old 09-03-2007, 06:29 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,666,479 times
I know they are hard working, my family farmed for years before they were modenized. Did it by hand or horse. My husband works 14 hour days, yes he has tools, but he operates them, also uses his back. They havent seemed to make a machine to pack the lumber into the homes yet. My son works 9 hours and attends college, he is on his feet most the day.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiled Prophet View Post
Poster, do you hate Americans and the country?
Not at all! I am descended from a very long line of Americans (both sides of my family since before the revolution) and I have served our great country).What I do hate is all the misinformation, incomplete information, distortion of facts, false conclusions and out-and-out lies that float around this forum.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I know they are hard working, my family farmed for years before they were modenized. Did it by hand or horse. My husband works 14 hour days, yes he has tools, but he operates them, also uses his back. They havent seemed to make a machine to pack the lumber into the homes yet. My son works 9 hours and attends college, he is on his feet most the day.
Your's sounds like a great American family that toils at what they love - Your son is exceptional in being able to hold down a job and attend classes. Frankly, I know that I couldn't have worked that many hours while attending school fulltime.

Congratulations and thank you for doing a good job raising him!

Old 09-03-2007, 07:45 PM

537 posts, read 441,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poster View Post
Not at all! I am descended from a very long line of Americans (both sides of my family since before the revolution) and I have served our great country).What I do hate is all the misinformation, incomplete information, distortion of facts, false conclusions and out-and-out lies that float around this forum.
Then why do you constantly post such misinformation as you do about the American worker?

I worked when I went to college too. In fact, it happens to be the people who post the most hateful things that are usually the lazy workers who show little education. I worked full time jobs while going to college full time and when I went to college it was more hours than what the kids these days go for. I hate distortion of facts also and so far I have seen a lot of hate from you. Why? I have no idea but I will say that you must have b een hgurt by someon e at sometim e and for that I am sorry for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration