Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 11:00 AM

9 posts, read 15,388 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=2]I've been trolling the message boards for awhile to see what people have to say about thier own cities. I've been in the military for 6 years and plan on getting out in about 3, so im trying to see where my family and i should move to when it's time. One thing i've noticed is how much of a problem so many people have with illegal immigration. I don't base everything off the boards here, i have family in a few states and im friends with many people from many states. Sure i read the news especially since i am overseas at the moment, but i can't help to ask. When did America lose its guts? I see those in politics push everyone around yet, it doesn't seem like anyone really does much but complain. I see it where i'm stationed now. The state government runs everything and as much as i see and hear people complain , everyone is afraid to really stand up for what they want. I see that now with most when it comes to illegal immigration. I hear you but i dont see you. I have no problem with living next to or working next too all races and nationalities. Hell thats what the military is made up of now days. But i do have an issue with those who break the laws and come here illegally. What happens if any one of us Americans break a law? Do we get deported back home? No, we don't, but illegals normally do after we pay for them to be in our jails. My question is why don't we as Americans really do something? We just sit and complain, thats about it, I do the same sadly. So why don't we actually do something??? How many immigration marches have you seen or heard of? Where hundreds if not thousands legal and illegal immigrants march because our immigration laws are too tuff? Are they really too tuff? Sorry no, if i were to move my family to another country we should know thier history and customs and gain citizenship legally. We learn and respect customs of other countries in the military when we visit other lands. So why shouldnt they especially when they do it the wrong way? So why shouldn't Americans take it to the streets? Why shouldnt we, the majority, finally show those in congress and in office what WE want?? Let's see America run without US. I bet it wouldnt. Now I'm not some political nut or anything, I just think THE PEOPLE should take this country back. Isn't that what this country is built on? Atleast thats what i thought and that is what i fight for. I don't want to see just resposes to this post, although im sure ill see some negative ones which is fine. Anyones opinion is welcome. I can only do so much because of the position im in ........for now. But i come home to the U.S. in 3 months and I will do whatever i can to support it.
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 11:37 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,438,836 times
As long as everyone including our politicians and mainstream media continue to classify nad portray Americans with patriotic notions, and respect the law and demand the enforcement of the laws of our country as 'racists', I'm afraid most will remain patriots behind their computer screens.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:20 PM

10,179 posts, read 11,167,649 times
I honestly think alot of Americans are living inside a bubble and have no clue -on what's happening with this country.

I also put Blame on our own Govt...

Old 08-27-2007, 12:31 PM

9 posts, read 15,388 times
But why can't anyone actually do something about it? I understand most want to hide behind computer screens or turn the page and not believe something is happening, but why cant someone actually get up and say something? I live in the bubble to a point because where my home station is . I also recently found out the biggest city in this state quietly became a sactuary city. Granted its not a big city in most eyes and doesnt get much attention. Still i know how much the middle class here struggles to make a living as it is and even though i'm not a local i feel for them because they work for it. I've seen many from all over the country complain about the problems illegals cause when it comes to crime, cost of living, quality of life or even the schools thier kids go to. So it's just hard for me to understand why no one does anything. Does it take a movie like Michael Moore did to open everyones eyes?

Old 08-27-2007, 09:53 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moore42702 View Post
But why can't anyone actually do something about it? I understand most want to hide behind computer screens or turn the page and not believe something is happening, but why cant someone actually get up and say something? I live in the bubble to a point because where my home station is . I also recently found out the biggest city in this state quietly became a sactuary city. Granted its not a big city in most eyes and doesnt get much attention. Still i know how much the middle class here struggles to make a living as it is and even though i'm not a local i feel for them because they work for it. I've seen many from all over the country complain about the problems illegals cause when it comes to crime, cost of living, quality of life or even the schools thier kids go to. So it's just hard for me to understand why no one does anything. Does it take a movie like Michael Moore did to open everyones eyes?
What you're seeing is actually part if an enormous societal upheaval so great that it's not yet apparent to many, because we're right in the middle of it. It will be seen more clearly ,in retrospect someday in the future. We (the US)are now going into a "fourth stage" of civilization (1)-nomadic hunter-gatherer---(2)-settled agriculture--(3)--industry and manufacturing--and now (4)--"post-industrial") All of these "stages" of civilization are still in existence in different parts of the world.
At the same time, we are (and have been since the 1960's) striving for a "kinder, gentler" society. We have eliminated many of the rough edges of American society such as slavery, racism, and all sorts of meanness and bullying. We strive now to be a tolerant society, one that's inclusive, where no one should be made to feel unwanted. In our language, we strive for political correctness, and avoid "harsh" terms.
The problem is, a tolerant society removes our old "right" to judge others; we are now told that everyone is equal, no one is "better" than anyone else, and it's quite easy to see that, in this atmosphere, we "tolerate" illegal immigration because not to do so would be "harsh, mean and judgemental". We also tolerate teenage pregnancy, classroom cheating, coarse and foul language in public, misbehavior in high office, and such things as "gang" attire....ALL of these things would once have drawn the disapproval and "wrath" of one's neighbors, but we no longer "judge" this sort of thing. Illegal immigration fits into this category--"good" people, trying to better themselves, many of whom, as individuals, are actually "nicer" than we are. We feel unable to "judge" them, and the situation goes on.
Want an open, tolerant society? In most ways, so do I. We must remember, though, that while a "tolerant" society tolerates the things we LIKE, it may also tolerate some things we DON'T like....that's why we use the word "tolerant"---it implies "making an EFFORT to include something or someone whom one might not otherwise approve of".....

Old 08-28-2007, 06:15 AM

1,787 posts, read 3,850,889 times
I think the people should take our country back too. I blame the media. I believe they are the one perpetuating the myth that illegal aliens are important to our economy; they myth that illegal aliens are "just trying to improve their lives"; they myth that illegal aliens are "just doing the jobs Americans won't do." If the media would support the American Citizen and state the facts I think we the People would stop the illegal alien invasion. But no, instead they support the illegal alien.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:30 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,642,016 times
Maybe the futurists (i.e. Toffler) need to keep up with reality and the times, and come out with a "Fifth Wave" book on the ensuing chaos and anarchy we will be faced with in a few years.... Something like, Post Rubble Society...

Old 08-28-2007, 01:25 PM

99 posts, read 351,253 times
Default Yes Yes

Awesome OP !! This is just another issue, where we fix those in power
and we fix a problem!! And yes they need to see us in the streets!!
We need to write and call everyday, join together and let them know
we aren't asleep. We need more of our great patriotic men and women
back home from Iraq to help...again very convenient for the Gov. that
sent them there.....and because of 9/11. The Gov. is ignoring us, and
the rules to further their interest. They do not care about "you" !!!!
I hope we can get Bush out of there and get someone at least less
corrupt in !!!

Old 08-28-2007, 01:44 PM

185 posts, read 355,433 times
I'm guilty of using forums to vent, it's hard to find like-minded people outside of the forums that will listen. I spend a lot of time trying to spread awareness but I would guess that about 1 out of 10 will get onboard. At this point many of my family and friends cringe if the subject comes up.

I do many things that I don't need to relate on a forum. I'm sure it's the same for most of the people here.

I e-mail my senators daily, sometimes, if somthing is really bugging me I'll e-mail all 100 senators, that alone takes about 2 1/2 hours. I place calls to my senators, I was trying to get through to Washington the day the phone system crashed from Americans' outraged over the amnesty bill. I write the occasional printed letter (snail mail) which is probably the best way to get your senators attention. I print fliers and leave them all over the place like in grocery stores where they keep the realestate bookletts and the like. I donate a little money out of every paycheck to anti-illegal groups. I haven't been in Walmart for about 7 years, stopped buying Miller beer, replaced my B of A credit card, etc. etc.

I've only been on one protest so far but I'm looking forward to more as soon as the local orginization whips something up.

I hope you don't think I'm trying to toot my own horn, I'm just making the point that even though you hear almost nothing but ranting coming from my direction it's only about 5% of my time spent on fighting illegal immigration.

I would venture to guess that most here are equally involved.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:52 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,679,105 times
The OP brings up several great points. But the problem is, many Americans actually want illegal aliens here. Big business and corporations, politicians, as well as many small mom and pop type store owners want the cheap labor. In addition many liberal Americans tend to think we have some sort of obligation to keep the door to our country wide open.

I think what it comes down to is we're just now getting to the point where enough Americans are actually getting fed up with the in your face flaunting of our laws that Washington has to at least begin to pay attention to the public. Illegal aliens commit crime after crime frequently choosing to self-deport instead of going to trial. Three weeks later they get picked up again after committing another violent crime. Knowing all this, many Americans out there still advocate and support policies that benefit illegal aliens and hurt everyday Americans.

Unfortunately, by the time Americans actually stand up and start to fight for this country it may just be too late, because over the next four or five years congress is going to try and do everything it can to legalize these criminals. And congress doesn't seem to even care about the public disconnect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration