Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 12:10 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,311,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
The same with Mcdade park in Scranton. Every weekend it seems, there are Hispanics there having picnics and BLARING their hispanic music for the entire park to hear whether they like it or not. There is defintely a huge difference in culture between Americans and Hispanics...Hispanics in Scranton tend to not keep up their properties, will frequently hang out of their windows to yell to each other, and many seem to use Puerto Rican flags as front-window curtains. They also seem the have an aversion to walking on sidewalks...drive through South Side and you'll see packs of them walking in the middle of the street, even though there are perfectly good sidewalks to use. I know they don't necessarily mean any harm, but they need to try better at assimilating.

For some reason, you don't see the Italians blasting Frank Sinatra, the Irish blasting the Irish Rovers, and the Polish blasting Stanky and the Coalminers at the park at full blast....
Last time I checked, Puerto Ricans ARE American citizens and have as much right to be here as you or I.

Whether you want to realize it or not, Hispanics have and continue to serve our country in the military and contribute to the fabric of our society in many other positive ways. Sadly, many have fought and died along every other group for your right to post such sweeping generalizations . If you don't believe me, here is a link:

Hispanics in American Wars - Hispanic Culture

Are there bad people in every group? Of course, especially in the Latino population here and I'll be the first to tell you that. Likewise, there are just as many , if not more good hearted hard working people of Hispanic heritage in the community. However, I'm getting pretty weary of people lumping Hispanics as a whole into a broad, anti-social, "they are all illegals and criminals" anti-American irresponsible, lazy and unlawful bunch.

BTW, I am 100% AGAINST people coming here illegally, in addition to disrespecting our flag and expecting US to cater to them. So before you call me an "Illegal sympathizer" or "bleeding heart", please save your keystrokes.

Last edited by Gil3; 11-02-2010 at 12:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 08:28 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,327,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Last time I checked, Puerto Ricans ARE American citizens and have as much right to be here as you or I.

Whether you want to realize it or not, Hispanics have and continue to serve our country in the military and contribute to the fabric of our society in many other positive ways. Sadly, many have fought and died along every other group for your right to post such sweeping generalizations . If you don't believe me, here is a link:

Hispanics in American Wars - Hispanic Culture

Are there bad people in every group? Of course, especially in the Latino population here and I'll be the first to tell you that. Likewise, there are just as many , if not more good hearted hard working people of Hispanic heritage in the community. However, I'm getting pretty weary of people lumping Hispanics as a whole into a broad, anti-social, "they are all illegals and criminals" anti-American irresponsible, lazy and unlawful bunch.

BTW, I am 100% AGAINST people coming here illegally, in addition to disrespecting our flag and expecting US to cater to them. So before you call me an "Illegal sympathizer" or "bleeding heart", please save your keystrokes.
I read the remarks by the poster you were replying to. They didn't say that all Hispanics are illegals, criminals, irresponsible, lazy and unlawful. In fact he/she said none of those things.

What they said is they didn't like the loud music and some of their cultural practices. There are some neighborhoods here in Calif. that are majority Hispanic and they aren't kept up properly either. In those cases they are probably illegals or poor Hispanics. I have seen these kinds of neighborhoods in predominantly poor white or black ones also.

You must have a read a lot more into this posters remarks than I did. I didn't see them lumping all Hispanics together or calling them the things you claim they did. It is ok to not like certain cultural practices, however.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:24 AM

320 posts, read 290,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
The race card doesn't belong in this issue at all. There is no fear or prejudice by the majority of Americans in this issue so why bring it up at all? We law abiding Americans are getting sick of being called xenophobes, racists, haters and prejudiced over illegal immigration. It isn't about you directing your remarks at me personally. It is about how we anti-illegals are called those names by the pro-illegals all the time without any proof of it. So when you make those kinds of statements whether or not they fit us personally or not it is cause for anger.
Did you read the original post? The poster is crying about a Spanish language station for crying out loud.

Quote:
FYI, I am not a dude but a dudette. I never said anything about AM radio. You must be talking about someone else. The topic you brought up was how Italians were discriminated against when they first came here and you were tying to apply it to the illegal aliens in our midst today. Illegal aliens are discriminated against because of their illegal status not because of their food, language or looks. This issue isn't about fears and prejudices.
It's pretty similar. There was no such thing as illegal-immigration back then. My great grandfather had no papers, no education, and no money. In todays world he would've been an illegal-immigrant. Which is why I can't bring myself to hate these people and which is why I place most of the blame on the people who make it possible for them to come in, and the racist Latin-American governments. Either way a good slice of the population always fear change and feels uncomfortable when large groups of immigrants come in. The Irish, Italians, Jews, Germans, Eastern Europeans etc. All went through it and now it's the Latin Americans turn to be the villian who's going to come in and ruin our country. If our country does go to ruins it sure as heck won't be the illegal immigrants fault. We'll be able to thank all these employers hiring them and the countless CEO's who ship our good middle class jobs to India, Brazil, China, Mexico etc.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:18 AM

[quote=Domination83;16507330]Did you read the original post? The poster is crying about a Spanish language station for crying out loud.

Of course I read the original post. The only reason we hear Spanish so much in this country is because of the high percentage of illegal Mexicans here. Radio, tv stations and businesses are pandering to them all the time. It is kind of like pouring salt in a wound hearing it all the time. Nothing racist about that at all considering the reasons it is happening.

It's pretty similar. There was no such thing as illegal-immigration back then. My great grandfather had no papers, no education, and no money. In todays world he would've been an illegal-immigrant. Which is why I can't bring myself to hate these people and which is why I place most of the blame on the people who make it possible for them to come in, and the racist Latin-American governments. Either way a good slice of the population always fear change and feels uncomfortable when large groups of immigrants come in. The Irish, Italians, Jews, Germans, Eastern Europeans etc. All went through it and now it's the Latin Americans turn to be the villian who's going to come in and ruin our country. If our country does go to ruins it sure as heck won't be the illegal immigrants fault. We'll be able to thank all these employers hiring them and the countless CEO's who ship our good middle class jobs to India, Brazil, China, Mexico etc.

Not similar at all. I don't know what part of the Irish, Italians, etc. that came legally and discriminated against at first due to language and cultural practices vs those here illegally that you don't get. Illegal aliens are discriminated against by law abiding Americans because they are here in violation of our immigration laws, not because of their skin color or culture. If that were so, then all Hispanic Americans would be discriminated against and they are not.

Whether you want to admit it or not the illegal workers are just as guilty as the greedy employers who hire them. An analogy would be that you are holding the bank robber accountable for robbing the bank but not the guys driving the get-a-away car. Illegals aliens are partly responsible for the economic mess we are in. Our taxes are going for supporting those who have no right to be here. Both illegal immigration and outsourcing are having a negative affect on American employment and jobs.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:09 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,311,387 times
Quote:
I read the remarks by the poster you were replying to. They didn't say that all Hispanics are illegals, criminals, irresponsible, lazy and unlawful. In fact he/she said none of those things.

What they said is they didn't like the loud music and some of their cultural practices. There are some neighborhoods here in Calif. that are majority Hispanic and they aren't kept up properly either. In those cases they are probably illegals or poor Hispanics. I have seen these kinds of neighborhoods in predominantly poor white or black ones also.

You must have a read a lot more into this posters remarks than I did. I didn't see them lumping all Hispanics together or calling them the things you claim they did. It is ok to not like certain cultural practices, however.
Point well taken, Chicago. The way I interpreted it was that he was simply painting all with a broad brush.

I don't always agree with you, but I respect your opinions and thoughts on this and related matters nonetheless.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Point well taken, Chicago. The way I interpreted it was that he was simply painting all with a broad brush.

I don't always agree with you, but I respect your opinions and thoughts on this and related matters nonetheless.
Thank you. I appreciate voices of civility in here opposed to those who hurl insults just because they don't agree with your views.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:54 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,465,881 times
Hmm...

Looks like the all Spanish radio station flopped.

In late 2008 WCDL returned to the adult standards format, simulcasting with WNAK 730 kHz under the slogan "The Greatest Music of All Time".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WCDL

Old 11-03-2010, 10:58 AM

320 posts, read 290,582 times
Quote:
Of course I read the original post. The only reason we hear Spanish so much in this country is because of the high percentage of illegal Mexicans here. Radio, tv stations and businesses are pandering to them all the time. It is kind of like pouring salt in a wound hearing it all the time. Nothing racist about that at all considering the reasons it is happening.
So you're saying there shouldn't be any spanish stations? Wow. Very revealing of you. What happened to the whole "don't judge a group by a minority" routine? So because a minority of the Latino population is illegal no Latino should be able to listen to a Spanish radio station? I guess we should outlaw Chinese, Indian, and other foreign language stations as well right? Now that is what America is supposed to be all about.

Quote:
Not similar at all. I don't know what part of the Irish, Italians, etc. that came legally and discriminated against at first due to language and cultural practices vs those here illegally that you don't get. Illegal aliens are discriminated against by law abiding Americans because they are here in violation of our immigration laws, not because of their skin color or culture. If that were so, then all Hispanic Americans would be discriminated against and they are not.
There's many similarities between immigrants then and now. The only difference now is that the racists (Not necessarily calling you racist) can use the law to hide their true sentiments. If there were no caps today on immigration like it was back then people would still be up in arms about the Latino immigrants. History has proven that a portion of the population will find something to complain about when it comes to immigrants period. Many immigrants back then showed up with no papers, money, or education. You think if those same people showed up today they'd be let right in? Many similarities between then and now when it comes to immigrants and some that oppose them.

And from what I've seen and heard recently alot of people are prejudiced towards Latinos in general. It may not include you (Although you saying there should be no foreign language stations in our country makes me pretty worried) but I've heard it in my workplace. A couple times co-workers would say some anti-Latino cracks and my response is for them to share those thoughts with our few Latino co-workers. That shuts them up real quick.

Quote:
Whether you want to admit it or not the illegal workers are just as guilty as the greedy employers who hire them. An analogy would be that you are holding the bank robber accountable for robbing the bank but not the guys driving the get-a-away car. Illegals aliens are partly responsible for the economic mess we are in. Our taxes are going for supporting those who have no right to be here. Both illegal immigration and outsourcing are having a negative affect on American employment and jobs.
These people are just like our ancestors (Mine at least) who came here in search of a better life. No need to demonize them when they wouldn't even be here if employers weren't hiring them so they won't have to pay someone a liveable wage with some sort of retirement/benefits. Thats what you don't seem to understand. If we cracked down on the employers they wouldn't be here period. These people know that there's tons of greedy people on our side of the border ready to line up low paying jobs for them so they come. If there was nothing here for them they wouldn't be here. But if you want to hate people for wanting to make their life better then thats on you. Me I'll hold the ones truly responsible for this mess accountable. Our employers are the ones who can stop the illegal-immigration. And until we focus most of our energy on them nothing will change no matter how many illegals we deport. And thats how my opinion will always be no matter how you want to rationalize your "Everyone is equally responsible" argument.

Glad you agree with the outsourcing though. We need to address that pronto if we ever want to get this economy going again. But the sad thing is outsourcing along with illegal-immigration are just used as talking points by politicians. No one seriously wants to address those issues. And the ones that do are outnumbered by the ones that don't. Thank you special interests.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:13 PM

[quote=Domination83;16511583]So you're saying there shouldn't be any spanish stations? Wow. Very revealing of you. What happened to the whole "don't judge a group by a minority" routine? So because a minority of the Latino population is illegal no Latino should be able to listen to a Spanish radio station? I guess we should outlaw Chinese, Indian, and other foreign language stations as well right? Now that is what America is supposed to be all about.

I didn't say that. However, since there are so many of them now it is apparent that they are catering to illegal aliens. Hispanic Americans understand English so why would they need so many Spanish stations?

There's many similarities between immigrants then and now. The only difference now is that the racists (Not necessarily calling you racist) can use the law to hide their true sentiments. If there were no caps today on immigration like it was back then people would still be up in arms about the Latino immigrants. History has proven that a portion of the population will find something to complain about when it comes to immigrants period. Many immigrants back then showed up with no papers, money, or education. You think if those same people showed up today they'd be let right in? Many similarities between then and now when it comes to immigrants and some that oppose them.

And from what I've seen and heard recently alot of people are prejudiced towards Latinos in general. It may not include you (Although you saying there should be no foreign language stations in our country makes me pretty worried) but I've heard it in my workplace. A couple times co-workers would say some anti-Latino cracks and my response is for them to share those thoughts with our few Latino co-workers. That shuts them up real quick.

You know I am getting tired of your false claims that there is a lot of prejudice and racism against Latinos in general. That simply isn't true and you have nothing to back that up. For the last time the objection is to illegal aliens and their supporters. It just so happens that most are Mexicans. That isn't our fault. You are taking the sentiments of a few and blowing them all out of proportion. I don't know how I can get it through your head that there is no huge numbers of prejudice against Latino Americans. The more you go on with this the more I question your actual motives.

These people are just like our ancestors (Mine at least) who came here in search of a better life. No need to demonize them when they wouldn't even be here if employers weren't hiring them so they won't have to pay someone a liveable wage with some sort of retirement/benefits. Thats what you don't seem to understand. If we cracked down on the employers they wouldn't be here period. These people know that there's tons of greedy people on our side of the border ready to line up low paying jobs for them so they come. If there was nothing here for them they wouldn't be here. But if you want to hate people for wanting to make their life better then thats on you. Me I'll hold the ones truly responsible for this mess accountable. Our employers are the ones who can stop the illegal-immigration. And until we focus most of our energy on them nothing will change no matter how many illegals we deport. And thats how my opinion will always be no matter how you want to rationalize your "Everyone is equally responsible" argument.

Again with your nonsense of claiming that legal immigrants of the past are just the same as the illegal aliens here today. How do you reason that one in your head? How many times are you going to repeat the employers guilt in here and how many times do we have to tell you that we know it before you stop with this repitition? It matters not that illegals come here for a better life. The only thing that matters is they are here in violation of our immigration laws and they know it. And what's with the hate reference?

Glad you agree with the outsourcing though. We need to address that pronto if we ever want to get this economy going again. But the sad thing is outsourcing along with illegal-immigration are just used as talking points by politicians. No one seriously wants to address those issues. And the ones that do are outnumbered by the ones that don't. Thank you special interests.

I think you will find in the coming years a big change in the way that our politicians are shirking their duties to secure our borders and enforcement of our immigration laws against both the employer and the illegal employees. More Americans will wake up and as a united front we will hold our government accountable. We can and will make it a living hell for them.

I am not going to respond to you anymore if you don't stop repeating yourself over and over about the employers and your accusations that we don't care about what they are doing and don't stop playing the race card. You say you are anti-illegal but you sure don't sound like it.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:44 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,212,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susquehannock View Post
The Citizens Voice - Business - 09/11/2007 - Northeastern Pa. gets first all-Hispanic radio station

Carbondale-based WCDL-AM has been renamed Caliente (Hot) 1440 and recently adopted all Spanish-language programming, including a daily local broadcast from 7 to 10 a.m.
So what's the big deal? New York City decades ago had pure Puerto Rican TV stations and???? San Antonio Texas has numerous Mexican/Spanish radio and TV stations, is that supposed to be bad or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration