Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 01:32 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,632 times

Advertisements

First, let me just get this out of the way: I don't support illegal immigration. Politically, I would support strict enforcement of immigration laws starting yesterday.

But I have friends who are illegal immigrants - one stopped by the house just this week - and I truly want the best for them. They didn't create this mess: the United States government did, by deliberately looking the other way for thirty plus years. The illegals were practically invited to serve corporate labor needs, and we're not going to force this genie back into the bottle. The problems of illegal immigration are well known and I don't intend to discuss them here.

California, for better or worse, is increasingly Latino. Whatever native Anglos might prefer, Divine Providence clearly has something Hispanic in mind for California's future. That's just something we need to get used to, and if we're going to thrive here, we need to embrace it.

I very much doubt that California will ever become a Mexican state, as some fear. It will be an American state for the forseeable future and beyond. If we're lucky, it might become two or three states. But Mexican culture will become increasingly influential here, from border to border. Californians would do well to learn it, study its language and history, and examine its many contradictions.

Just as a Mexican minority can survive and thrive in an Anglo California, an Anglo minority can survive and thrive in a Mexican California. It's time for some of us to figure out exactly how to do that.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 04-20-2012 at 02:16 AM..

Old 04-20-2012, 02:09 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
It's time for some of us to figure out exactly how to do that.
Convert to Catholocism?

Old 04-20-2012, 02:19 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,471,116 times
You embrace it. As soon as I can sell my house I'm out of your "Mexican California".

Old 04-20-2012, 03:03 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,959 times
Quote:
Just as a Mexican minority can survive and thrive in an Anglo California, an Anglo minority can survive and thrive in a Mexican California. It's time for some of us to figure out exactly how to do that.
Whites aren't the only component in the non-Mexican population. Asians of every nationality are actually growing faster than the Hispanic population, plus Native Americans, Middle Easterners and African Americans round out the mix. English will always be the dominate language of government and business as a result (since its the only unifying factor among these groups). I lived in 75% Hispanic (mostly Mexican) Salinas and while that culture definitely is evident in daily life I never ran into a situation where English didn't work or was made to feel I wasn't in the United States.

Basically, California will always have an American future.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:21 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times
Quote:
The illegals were practically invited to serve corporate labor needs, and we're not going to force this genie back into the bottle.

That's just something we need to get used to, and if we're going to thrive here, we need to embrace it.
Meanwhile, Alabama's unemployment rate dropped 1.7% three months after passing a law letting local law enforcement enforce immigration laws the feds refuse to. Amazing what can happen when people actually try to solve a problem instead of sitting around saying the situation is hopeless isn't it?

Old 04-20-2012, 05:25 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,872 times
Quote:
. It's time for some of us to figure out exactly how to do that.
So far I do not disagree with you.. It will balance out and reach equilibrium soon enough...

What to do, besides becoming a Catholic.... I would be interested in hearing your thoughts...

Me:
1. Learn the language and culture as you stated...

2. USA better start helping Mexico boot strap it self up to a first world nation... The sooner Mexico is a better place to live in the sooner the pressure of coming to the USA will be lowered. Look at Canada, actually a better place than the USA to live in many ways...Very little immigration from Canada to USA.

I personally feel we need to be more North America centered... Multi national companies that do not want to manufacture in the USA, should be encouraged to use Mexico for lower cost labor, and not be encouraged to go over seas.... The cheap crap Americans buy at Wal-mart should say made in Mexico, not made in China...

IMO cultural and racial tensions will come to pass. They existed with every wave of new immigrants to America.

Like it or not we need Mexico as much as they need us... See pilgrim, yet another example of where prohibition or abstinence does not work... We tried the bury our heads in the sand and lock or boarder approach and it does not work.... Same as many other issues in life...

Old 04-20-2012, 05:57 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
I'm sure the locals felt the same way when we showed up in the 1840s.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:10 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
First, let me just get this out of the way: I don't support illegal immigration. Politically, I would support strict enforcement of immigration laws starting yesterday.

But I have friends who are illegal immigrants - one stopped by the house just this week - and I truly want the best for them. They didn't create this mess: the United States government did, by deliberately looking the other way for thirty plus years. The illegals were practically invited to serve corporate labor needs, and we're not going to force this genie back into the bottle. The problems of illegal immigration are well known and I don't intend to discuss them here.

California, for better or worse, is increasingly Latino. Whatever native Anglos might prefer, Divine Providence clearly has something Hispanic in mind for California's future. That's just something we need to get used to, and if we're going to thrive here, we need to embrace it.

I very much doubt that California will ever become a Mexican state, as some fear. It will be an American state for the forseeable future and beyond. If we're lucky, it might become two or three states. But Mexican culture will become increasingly influential here, from border to border. Californians would do well to learn it, study its language and history, and examine its many contradictions.

So, which one is it. You support our immigration laws or you don't support our immigration laws? It appears you've proclaimed both here.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:47 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,955 times
Another option - statehood for Mexico. Use their vast oil reserves to pay the costs of modernizing its infrastructure. It will be rough for the first generation or two. Look at the problems Germany had with its reunification. Eventually Mexican culture will blend in with American culture with the best of both thriving.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:57 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
Another option - statehood for Mexico. Use their vast oil reserves to pay the costs of modernizing its infrastructure. It will be rough for the first generation or two. Look at the problems Germany had with its reunification. Eventually Mexican culture will blend in with American culture with the best of both thriving.
Why would you think Mexico / Mexicans would want to be our 51st state?

Not a snarky response ... real question ... I am curious.

With no disrespect to us intended, were I Mexican, I wouldn't want to be American. I would be pleased to be independent as Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration