Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 01:54 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd love View Post
Your 1st few post leading up to this point.
That was about as helpful as t*ts on a boar hog. Please... be more explicit.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:56 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd love View Post
The ruling was done for an legal immigrant.
No it wasn't. Wong wasn't an immigrant at all. He was born here.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:03 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
No it wasn't. Wong wasn't an immigrant at all. He was born here.
His family came here through legal means.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:

Assumes facts not in evidence.
Reread the ruling.

Quote:
Reread your post. You certainly did

Did not.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Only if you consider 500 years ago "recent."
Blacks were not citizens before the Civil war.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:08 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,076,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Please explain why Congress would need to pass a law to take away birthright citizenship from children of illegal immigrants when your oft repeated claim is that those children don't receive birthright citizenship anyway.
Did I not just say that Congress could forever clarify BRC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
It seems like even the most extreme conservative members of Congress don't agree with your claim that birthright citizenship for children of illegal immigrants doesn't exist and could be taken away with a simple administrative action by the agency in charge of issuing passports. It appears to me that you have been caught spewing lies and that Congress knows that it will require new laws and a possible Constitutional Amendment to take away the same access to birthright citizenship that you say currently doesn't even exist.
Everybody has their opinion. So what. My position is that at best children born to illegals on US soil may be US Nationals.

And yet members of Congress have put forth a bill to clarify this since the 1990's when Harry Reid put it forth.

So you have no rational argument and claim I am spewing lies. Why does this not surprise me?

Old 01-07-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Unintended consequences are still consequences.
Just as Wong Kim Ark was not born from immigrants that came here illegally.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
And the ratio decidendi required to settle that question.

Oh? Really?

Please give me the actual quotation that you paraphrase here into a straight line, determinative, causal connection. Because in all the hundred of times I have read that decision... I've never found anything that even vaguely sounds like "Wong was a citizen because the US and China had a treaty."

I'll wait.

Surmise? What about this definition is a guess? Exactly?

As ratio decidendi, that definition is an independent assertion of truth. It is independent of both the specific question before the court or the ultimate decision (although the decision is not independent of it). You can toss out all the red herring you wish, set up an army of straw men, cite other Supreme Court decisions that you have not bothered to even try and understand, just as long as they contain words you imagine are useful.

But that definition still stands there defiantly in the face of your every quibble.

Another opportunity for the new emoticon:
Thats right, YOUR ratio, not the actual ratio. Just like YOUR definition vs the actual definition.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Since that is not true for any other Supreme COurt Ruling, why would it be true this one time?

The Supreme Court does not make a habit of even considering cases that do not settle broad legal questions. Your understanding is palpably absurd.
The only question settled from WKA is that aliens here, domiciled and residing (in other words here legally with the consent of our government), give birth to US Citizens if on US soil.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Wow. That's a neat trick. Arbitrarily asserting that a Supreme Court decision is irrelevant because you don't like it. I'll be sure to let Justice Roberts know that the court has a new uber-authority named "Liquid Reigns."
Do you mean I didn't do what you have done? And here I used you as my role model. WAFM

Quote:
The same reason we are having this argument today. There are people who for whatever reason really, really don't like the law.
Bouve was arguing the children should acquire BRC, not be denied it. Why would that need to be argued if what you claim is true? Certainly there were denials to BRC to children born of illegals on US soil after WKA for Bouve to make such an argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration