Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2013, 03:31 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,594,056 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how to get a roll call of how senators and members of congress voted on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 05:07 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Does anyone know how to get a roll call of how senators and members of congress voted on it?
Wouldn't most of them be out of office by now and replaced with someone else? I think it more important to find out how the current congressmen will be be voting on this both the Senate and the House. We aren't supposed to link to other sites but I know of one that has a list of how each Senator and Representative stands on the newly proposed amnesty. I could PM you if you like.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Wouldn't most of them be out of office by now and replaced with someone else? I think it more important to find out how the current congressmen will be be voting on this both the Senate and the House. We aren't supposed to link to other sites but I know of one that has a list of how each Senator and Representative stands on the newly proposed amnesty. I could PM you if you like.
True. Just curious.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:29 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Bet most of them are dead or retired by now.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:30 AM

424 posts, read 468,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
They're now getting pistol whipped with their own gun! Something the Republidopes would rather you forget about. They created the mess, no doubt about it. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed though.

As a liberal, I believe it should be handled sensitively -- mainly by fining any employer who uses them completely out of existence and refraining from amnesty for anyone. Even though that's the humane thing, it will encourage others to come and cannot be allowed.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:10 PM

116 posts, read 110,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket View Post
As a liberal, I believe it should be handled sensitively -- mainly by fining any employer who uses them completely out of existence and refraining from amnesty for anyone.
Heh, a liberal who isn't a "bleeding heart." I guess unicorns do exist.

Some employers have no idea their employees are illegal. And for others, they have to be careful of not violating non-discrimination laws. They can't look at an ID and tell a Hispanic gentlemen "well, you don't look like a John Smith."

Quote:
Even though that's the humane thing, it will encourage others to come and cannot be allowed.
Hm, that is an interesting way to put it (I mean it, not being sarcastic, lol). I've never been a fan of zero tolerance policies, regarding illegal immigration or juvenile drug use or otherwise. I don't know many liberals who support mandatory sentencing or three-strikes-policy either, given they favor being humane over fears off being too lenient. Same on the death penalty.

I thought the divide was pretty clear, liberals are for leniency on humane grounds and conservatives are for zero tolerance criminals are sub-human filth regardless of the law they break.

I'm not saying you're not a good liberal or anything, far be it from me to even define what that is. I'm just saying I'm surprised a little.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:33 PM

Their are still way too many who were actually around then still in congress.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:25 AM

424 posts, read 468,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubi Panis View Post
Heh, a liberal who isn't a "bleeding heart." I guess unicorns do exist.

Some employers have no idea their employees are illegal. And for others, they have to be careful of not violating non-discrimination laws. They can't look at an ID and tell a Hispanic gentlemen "well, you don't look like a John Smith."

Hm, that is an interesting way to put it (I mean it, not being sarcastic, lol). I've never been a fan of zero tolerance policies, regarding illegal immigration or juvenile drug use or otherwise. I don't know many liberals who support mandatory sentencing or three-strikes-policy either, given they favor being humane over fears off being too lenient. Same on the death penalty.

I thought the divide was pretty clear, liberals are for leniency on humane grounds and conservatives are for zero tolerance criminals are sub-human filth regardless of the law they break.

I'm not saying you're not a good liberal or anything, far be it from me to even define what that is. I'm just saying I'm surprised a little.
My liberalness has never been questioned so thank you. You'd lose on that one if you did. I think you're seeing the issue as too black and white though. Many liberals see that it'll be less humane to pass the amnesty and have to take more drastic measures later. The main problem is lack of educational resources and opportunities for these individuals. They're attending terrible schools, do not on the whole have educated parents, and we're creating a permanent underclass as a result. Are we doing them any favors? I think not. If you want to add massive educational reform to the package, then talk to me. Otherwise, this is a bad idea.

Like many Democrats, I cannot help but feel a little glee at seeing Republicans getting slapped around by their own philosophy. They wanted an illegal labor pool to avoid U.S. labor and safety laws, passing amnesty in 1986 and looking the other way for 25 years. It got out of hand and now their "peasant class" is large enough in numbers to obliterate them out of political existence. Watching some backtrack and get all touchy feely to pander to one side and others get all hardline all of a sudden to pander to the other is priceless But, as a nation, we cannot afford to indulge in such glee. It's gone far enough and we need to put our foot down now. No amnesty!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration