Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2013, 08:53 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times

Advertisements

I now see the reason why people are against illegal immigration and I am no longer angry with those who are against it. I have been conducting research (and therapy) on this site for the past 6 years and I have finally finished! My book "From the shadows I move" will be published next summer.

I will now change my position to neutral. I have evolved thanks to this site!

/s
Lazaro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 05:32 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Glad to see you can evolve. I personally feel only the ignorant are inflexible or unwilling to compromise.
Case in point. I see a child born here as an American citizen. The supreme courts seems to think so also.
5 years ago I did not. Until the constitution is amended to change this that is the law.
Children brought here as an infant or young child. They had no control over their fate and we need to look at this from that perspective. It isn't black and white.
The parents. Hey they made a choice to violate our laws. They also knew if they were caught they faced deportation. They gambled and if caught should face the consequences.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:16 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I now see the reason why people are against illegal immigration and I am no longer angry with those who are against it. I have been conducting research (and therapy) on this site for the past 6 years and I have finally finished! My book "From the shadows I move" will be published next summer.

I will now change my position to neutral. I have evolved thanks to this site!

/s
Lazaro
Good for you that you took it upon yourself to research this issue rather than continuing to react under emotionalism. However, after having done that I don't see how anyone can just switch to neutral on this issue.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Glad to see you can evolve. I personally feel only the ignorant are inflexible or unwilling to compromise.
Case in point. I see a child born here as an American citizen. The supreme courts seems to think so also.
5 years ago I did not. Until the constitution is amended to change this that is the law.
Children brought here as an infant or young child. They had no control over their fate and we need to look at this from that perspective. It isn't black and white.
The parents. Hey they made a choice to violate our laws. They also knew if they were caught they faced deportation. They gambled and if caught should face the consequences.
Actually, the SC has never addressed a case of birthright citizenship for a U.S. born baby of parents here illegally. They have never delved into what the writer's of the 14th intent and meaning actually was. It has only been assumed that they are instant citizens. A new amendment wouldn't even be necessary to clarify the true interpretation of it.

As for kids brought here by their parents of course by no fault of their own I still don't see that it should entitle them to stay here. The whole family can return together to their homeland especially if the kids are minors. They should not be separated from their parents would you not agree?

I guess these are a couple of things we will have to agree to disagree on tinman but at least we can do so with civility.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:34 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Actually, the SC has never addressed a case of birthright citizenship for a U.S. born baby of parents here illegally. They have never delved into what the writer's of the 14th intent and meaning actually was. It has only been assumed that they are instant citizens. A new amendment wouldn't even be necessary to clarify the true interpretation of it.

As for kids brought here by their parents of course by no fault of their own I still don't see that it should entitle them to stay here. The whole family can return together to their homeland especially if the kids are minors. They should not be separated from their parents would you not agree?

I guess these are a couple of things we will have to agree to disagree on tinman but at least we can do so with civility.
I refer to a child who was brought here at a young age, they know no different life. As far as they know they are american. WE can afford to be generous to such who through no fault of their own are put in a bad position. The parents however, deserve no such break and need to be held at least to the same level of accountability a a legal immigrant caught violating our laws, or a citizen for that matter.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I refer to a child who was brought here at a young age, they know no different life. As far as they know they are american. WE can afford to be generous to such who through no fault of their own are put in a bad position. The parents however, deserve no such break and need to be held at least to the same level of accountability a a legal immigrant caught violating our laws, or a citizen for that matter.
These kids are taught the culture and language of their native country by their parents. Many have relatives still in the homeland that they stay in touch with or visit. I don't see any culture shock for them to return to their homelands along with their parents even as adults. Heck even American kids whose parents are in the military and stationed in another country adapt to their new environments. American kids whose family moves from the east coast the west coast have some adaptation to make but they manage. You know and I know that these kids who are adults now will cry separation of families if they are allowed to stay but their parents deported. The solution IMO is for the entire family to return to their homeland where they all belong.

I look at it from a different perspective. It isn't punishing the "kids" but not rewarding their parents for having broken our immigration laws by allowing their kids (whether they be minors or adults) that they dragged here illegally to remain here.

Last edited by Oldglory; 08-26-2013 at 03:50 PM..

Old 08-26-2013, 05:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:

Other countries have had birthright citizenship as part of their laws as well so it's not just the US.
But those countries have changed their laws due to mass immigration and birth tourism to require one parent to be a citizen. It's either Ireland or New Zealand that was the last country to change their law in 2005.

Only the US and Canada retain the birthright citizenship laws among the wealthy economies of the world.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:23 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,859,543 times
Quote:
These kids are taught the culture and language of their native country by their parents. Many have relatives still in the homeland that they stay in touch with or visit. I don't see any culture shock for them to return to their homelands along with their parents even as adults. Heck even American kids whose parents are in the military and stationed in another country adapt to their new environments. American kids whose family moves from the east coast the west coast have some adaptation to make but they manage. You know and I know that these kids who are adults now will cry separation of families if they are allowed to stay but their parents deported. The solution IMO is for the entire family to return to their homeland where they all belong.

I look at it from a different perspective. It isn't punishing the "kids" but not rewarding their parents for having broken our immigration laws by allowing their kids (whether they be minors or adults) that they dragged here illegally to remain here.

I'm with you on this.

The issue I have had with the "anchor baby" situation is that the parents WERE HERE ILLEGALLY. I think we need to enforce the laws we have on the books. If immigrants are here illegally, it shouldn't matter if you have kids or not. EVERYONE needs to go back home. They should be thankful that they got the social and medical services they did, while they did. The gravy train needs to end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration