Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 02:07 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

The USA is one of the onky countries that actually rewards those who show up illegally with promises of citizenship and welfare handouts for giving birth to children they can't afford. Most countries protect jobs for their citizens.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:36 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
The worst part of it is most Haitians and many Dominicans WOULD still be "Black" in the US but they split the race differences in their countries more.
I watched a documentary on how race is viewed in the Dominican Republic. Many Dominicans there don't consider themselves Black, but "Indio". Dictator Rafael Trujillo tried so hard to push the idea that the Dominican Republic was a White nation. Trujillo himself had some Haitian ancestry. He was somewhat light in complexion. However, he would put white powder on his face to make himself look even lighter. The irony is that 90% of the Dominican Republic's population has African ancestry.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:41 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I watched a documentary on how race is viewed in the Dominican Republic. Many Dominicans there don't consider themselves Black, but "Indio". Dictator Rafael Trujillo tried so hard to push the idea that the Dominican Republic was a White nation. Trujillo himself had some Haitian ancestry. He was somewhat light in complexion. However, he would put white powder on his face to make himself look even lighter. The irony is that 90% of the Dominican Republic's population has African ancestry.
Like you said.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:05 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Like you said.
This video will explain it.

Black In Latin America (Episode 1) Haiti and The Dominican Republic- The Roots of Division - YouTube

Old 09-28-2013, 01:29 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well -- we're all just varying shades of melanin-brown and "race" is becoming quite arbitrary. You'll see privileged blue-eyed lily white "hispanics" claiming minority status -- even where they are a definite majority. Dominicans see themselves as white hispanics --- but only until there is some advantage in being otherwise.

Just like in Miami, the hispanics never object when Haitian boat people are rounded up and deported. Of course they never object if an Irishman is deported either. It's not exactly about black or white -- it's their cultural-language group they want to have unrestricted immigration but when it comes to their own countries, they don't want unrestricted immigration of any others.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:44 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well -- we're all just varying shades of melanin-brown and "race" is becoming quite arbitrary. You'll see privileged blue-eyed lily white "hispanics" claiming minority status -- even where they are a definite majority. Dominicans see themselves as white hispanics --- but only until there is some advantage in being otherwise.

Just like in Miami, the hispanics never object when Haitian boat people are rounded up and deported. Of course they never object if an Irishman is deported either. It's not exactly about black or white -- it's their cultural-language group they want to have unrestricted immigration but when it comes to their own countries, they don't want unrestricted immigration of any others.
Not always true even where "Hispanic" people are concerned; word is that even "white" LatAm Hispanics ain't real welcome in Spain tho to you and me, they're ALL Hispanic.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:53 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
Not always true even where "Hispanic" people are concerned; word is that even "white" LatAm Hispanics ain't real welcome in Spain tho to you and me, they're ALL Hispanic.
Many times I wonder where you get all of your notions from...

I've been in Spain with a fellow Hispanic servicemember, he was treated no differently than I was...

Old 09-30-2013, 05:23 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
Another thread when instead of the topic of illegal immigration, what is discussed is race and/or ethnicity. All of you claim you are not racist, but somehow I can constantly see the same members hijacking threads to be about race.
Threads will keep getting closed if you don't stop.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration