Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 03:03 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,812,567 times

Advertisements

Apparently it doesn't matter if you are a law-abiding citizen, if you live anywhere near the border you are fair game for harrassment.

Among the incidents detailed in the Arizona complaint:

• On May 21, Border Patrol agents pulled over Clarisa Christiansen as she was driving to her home in Three Points, west of Tucson, with her 7-year-old daughter and 5-year-old son in the car.

According to Christiansen, after she confirmed that she was a U.S. citizen, the agent told her to get out of the car so he could search it. She said she didn't consent to a search and asked why she had been stopped.

She said the agent refused to say why he'd stopped her.

Two other agents approached the car.

One pulled out a retractable knife, threatened to cut her out of her seat belt if she didn't get out of the car and took the keys from her ignition.

Christiansen said she got out of the car and waited while the agents ran a background check. The agents returned her license and left.

Then she noticed that one of her tires had been punctured, with a long cut along the sidewall, which she attributes to the agents.

• On April 15, about 50 miles north of the border on the Tohono O'odham Reservation, Ernestine Josemaria passed a Border Patrol vehicle on Indian Route 15 while driving toward Santa Rosa, Ariz. She said the Border Patrol vehicle tailgated her into town and then pulled her over.

The agents accused her of being a smuggler, pulled her out of her truck, twisted her arms, and handcuffed her. They searched her truck over her objections, damaging it. Josemaria, a U.S. citizen, said the agents never asked about her citizenship or legal status.

Josemaria said she was forced to wait for an hour for a drug-sniffing dog, which found nothing. More than an hour and a half after she was pulled over, she was allowed to go.

• On March 22, at Fort Bowie National Historic Site in southeastern Arizona, Bryan Barrow returned from a hike to find a park ranger peering into his vehicle. When Barrow, a U.S. citizen, couldn't find his registration and insurance card immediately, the ranger held him and called for a Border Patrol agent and canine. The agent and dog searched the vehicle without Barrow's consent, damaging it.

Barrow was detained for four hours without food, water or bathroom access. The Border Patrol denied a subsequent claim from Barrow's insurance company, saying that federal law "bars recovery for property damaged by CBP employees while the property is under detention in CBP custody."

• In spring 2011, a man in plain clothes who didn't identify himself pulled over Suzanne Aldridge while she was driving back to Bisbee, Ariz. He questioned her aggressively and asked to search the car. She said "no" and then drove about 1,500 yards to a more public parking lot.

There, Border Patrol agents dragged her out of her car, handcuffed her and pushed her to the ground, she said. Her car was searched without her consent. She was let go without any explanation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 04:01 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
As in any incident there are always two sides to any story. I never pass judgement without hearing both sides. Far too many do because they already sympathize with one side based on their own personal views and agenda.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:05 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,233,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Apparently it doesn't matter if you are a law-abiding citizen, if you live anywhere near the border you are fair game for harrassment.

Among the incidents detailed in the Arizona complaint:

• On May 21, Border Patrol agents pulled over Clarisa Christiansen as she was driving to her home in Three Points, west of Tucson, with her 7-year-old daughter and 5-year-old son in the car.

According to Christiansen, after she confirmed that she was a U.S. citizen, the agent told her to get out of the car so he could search it. She said she didn't consent to a search and asked why she had been stopped.

She said the agent refused to say why he'd stopped her.

Two other agents approached the car.

One pulled out a retractable knife, threatened to cut her out of her seat belt if she didn't get out of the car and took the keys from her ignition.

Christiansen said she got out of the car and waited while the agents ran a background check. The agents returned her license and left.

Then she noticed that one of her tires had been punctured, with a long cut along the sidewall, which she attributes to the agents.

• On April 15, about 50 miles north of the border on the Tohono O'odham Reservation, Ernestine Josemaria passed a Border Patrol vehicle on Indian Route 15 while driving toward Santa Rosa, Ariz. She said the Border Patrol vehicle tailgated her into town and then pulled her over.

The agents accused her of being a smuggler, pulled her out of her truck, twisted her arms, and handcuffed her. They searched her truck over her objections, damaging it. Josemaria, a U.S. citizen, said the agents never asked about her citizenship or legal status.

Josemaria said she was forced to wait for an hour for a drug-sniffing dog, which found nothing. More than an hour and a half after she was pulled over, she was allowed to go.

• On March 22, at Fort Bowie National Historic Site in southeastern Arizona, Bryan Barrow returned from a hike to find a park ranger peering into his vehicle. When Barrow, a U.S. citizen, couldn't find his registration and insurance card immediately, the ranger held him and called for a Border Patrol agent and canine. The agent and dog searched the vehicle without Barrow's consent, damaging it.

Barrow was detained for four hours without food, water or bathroom access. The Border Patrol denied a subsequent claim from Barrow's insurance company, saying that federal law "bars recovery for property damaged by CBP employees while the property is under detention in CBP custody."

• In spring 2011, a man in plain clothes who didn't identify himself pulled over Suzanne Aldridge while she was driving back to Bisbee, Ariz. He questioned her aggressively and asked to search the car. She said "no" and then drove about 1,500 yards to a more public parking lot.

There, Border Patrol agents dragged her out of her car, handcuffed her and pushed her to the ground, she said. Her car was searched without her consent. She was let go without any explanation.
How else are they supposed to stop the evil Mexican's from invading and taking our low wage jobs?

Old 10-10-2013, 04:12 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayid Linus View Post
How else are they supposed to stop the evil Mexican's from invading and taking our low wage jobs?
Do I detect a note of sarcasm that is meant to defend illegal aliens?

Old 10-10-2013, 04:14 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,233,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Do I detect a note of sarcasm that is meant to defend illegal aliens?
You do detect sarcasm. From there it's up to you.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:23 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,193,007 times
I live in Arizona, and I have driven around, next to, and even over the border. I have never had an issue with border patrol. They are friendly and helpful and have always appeared to me to be doing nothing but their jobs.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:32 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,919,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop101 View Post
I live in Arizona, and I have driven around, next to, and even over the border. I have never had an issue with border patrol. They are friendly and helpful and have always appeared to me to be doing nothing but their jobs.
What color is your skin?

Old 10-10-2013, 04:53 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Police just don't assault people at border patrols. They illegally do it at DUI checkpoints as well to search for any illegal contraband.

We ARE in a Police state. Our Fore Fathers would be turning in their graves.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:01 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
What color is your skin?
Good question.

You ever seen a viral youtube video of a black man demanding his rights be respected?

If you have, it usually ends with the driver being assaulted.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:10 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
I've had my car searched at the border. When they tell you to get out of your car, you get out of your car. Arguing isn't going to score you any points.
They did confiscate my contraband. Some Kinder Eggs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration