Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 04:54 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Maxine Grider knows all too well how much her grocery store in south Oklahoma City relies on the area’s Latino community to stay in the black.

Since a state law that targets illegal immigrants went into effect almost one month ago, business at Grider’s Discount Foods has been off between $50,000 and $75,000 a week.

Examiner-Enterprise (http://www.examiner-enterprise.com/articles/2007/11/28/news/state/news866.txt - broken link)

Old 11-28-2007, 04:59 PM

902 posts, read 718,061 times
Actually, it is her fault that she is having problems with her income. She decided to have a business that catered to Hispanics, illegals specifically it seems. She should have started a business that catered to the legal immigrants and citizens of the country.

Personally, I am glad that she is hurting. She needs to rethink her business plan is all.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:00 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
If you build a business that revolves around illegal immigrants, the business should fail. All of these people that are complaining are complaining about ONE thing; their loss of income from businesses that profit off the backs of people here illegally. They should be ashamed to go on the record stating their opportunistic views.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:10 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,327 times
where in the article does it say that she was targeting her business to illegals? forgive me if i'm overlooking it, but it appears to me she's been running a grocery store for 45 years, long before this illegal immigrant issue.

last time i checked, we ALL go to the grocery store, right? and it's even better for poor Americans like me if they're reasonably priced.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:19 PM

640 posts, read 461,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
where in the article does it say that she was targeting her business to illegals? forgive me if i'm overlooking it, but it appears to me she's been running a grocery store for 45 years, long before this illegal immigrant issue.

last time i checked, we ALL go to the grocery store, right? and it's even better for poor Americans like me if they're reasonably priced.
Umm, because the ILLEGALS have left and are no longer around to buy groceries from her store.....You know, they up and left before they got arrested.....

Old 11-28-2007, 05:24 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Nation_60 View Post
Umm, because the ILLEGALS have left and are no longer around to buy groceries from her store.....You know, they up and left before they got arrested.....
i know that, but that doesn't mean that she was intentionally targeting them. nowhere in the article does it say that she catered to them with hispanic goods, or staffed her store with spanish-speaking people. the other two posters' posts come across as if her business was strictly targeted to them.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:28 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
If you build a business that revolves around illegal immigrants, the business should fail. All of these people that are complaining are complaining about ONE thing; their loss of income from businesses that profit off the backs of people here illegally. They should be ashamed to go on the record stating their opportunistic views.
The story states her store has been located in the same location for the past 45 years. Perhaps the area around her store has changed during that long timeframe, and she altered her goods to serve the evolving local customer base.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:29 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,373,752 times
Quote:

That area has been taken over by illegals. It's a well known fact, and that store does cater to them. I went in there one time and was shocked. Everything is in Spanish. They sell things I've never heard of. It was a nice store before the invasion; now like the neighborhood, its trashed. I dont live in the area, but I knew someone who lived close to there, thats the reason I went in there, to take her. She was finally forced out by the drive bys and shootings in the area. This woman does deserve this.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:48 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
The story states her store has been located in the same location for the past 45 years. Perhaps the area around her store has changed during that long timeframe, and she altered her goods to serve the evolving local customer base.
Very good point New.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:53 PM

640 posts, read 461,439 times
Quote:
i know that, but that doesn't mean that she was intentionally targeting them. nowhere in the article does it say that she catered to them with hispanic goods, or staffed her store with spanish-speaking people. the other two posters' posts come across as if her business was strictly targeted to them.
Okay, let me 'splain this

The law went into effect against illegals in Oklahoma. All of a sudden, this woman is losing business. Sum it up to the illegals leaving the area to avoid arrest and deportation. She was catering to the large Hispanic population in the southwest part of OKC and when they left, she felt it in the pocketbook. Just read between the lines of the article and you can see it.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration