Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 09:35 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatooine View Post
I'm not playing a race card, and I didn't call illegal aliens a race. I do know some people react from the fact that illegal immigrants usually bring in a different culture (the vast majority do come from Mexico), and people can be uncomfortable with a different culture. I'm not saying that's what people here feel, or the majority, but I know some people are like that (although they also tend to be against legal immigration, as well, and if we changed our laws to allow anyone into the country, thus meaning all immigrants are following our laws and not making a mockery of them, those people would still not be happy).

I'm actually for deportations, but only if it's fast. Otherwise, one, it's not effective (why does it take months and years for the courts to handle these things?) and two, it creates these situations like the gentleman in the video that make it sound that by upholding our own laws we're the bad guys.
Uh; I'm of Irish family and I like Irish illegal aliens like I like Mexican or Guatemalan illegal aliens; they ALL need to go away from the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 10:47 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Mean while we have tens of Thousands of people waiting for their VISA. Following the rules. Obeying our laws. They are the ones I have sympathy for as well as respect. Sorry illegals you don't rate anyone's respect. You gave that up when you violated our immigration laws. Next time do it the right way and wait your turn.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:07 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
For those who didn't watch the video: He left Guatemala when he was 14 years old and arrived in USA when he was 15. His immigration case went to the courts and because of the long process, he'd started working (which he was legally allowed to do) and building a life while waiting to hear back. He'd never heard from his lawyer that he was supposed to be deported. Yes, business was licensed. Yes, he paid taxes (wife shows the paper work). He employed 10 people. There's a child with special needs so the mom has been staying home with him to care for him, plus there's a five-month-old. He now makes $5/day in Guatemala. The video also states that ICE says that it costs $12,500 to deport someone, but in the case of this man where's the breadwinner of the family, the cost to taxpayers is more along the lines of $102,000 due to loss tax revenue and costs of food stamps, medicaid, housing assistance, welfare, etc.

Yes, this video did make me see deportation differently. Most pro-deportation/anti-illegal immigration sentiment comes from (if not spun from racism) Americans not wanting illegals to leach off the system. And this guy definitely wasn't doing that.

The difference in wealth here and in those countries is so great. Immigration's not going to stop being a problem until that gets better. I have no idea how to go about accomplishing that, though.
For the time being we do know how to keep wealth here and that's not allowing everyone that can walk in, walk in. For every sad case we can come up with from Mexico and Guatemala there are 50 on the Continent of Africa that would trade places with them in Mexico and Guatemala.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:26 AM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
I'm not playing a race card, and I didn't call illegal aliens a race. I do know some people react from the fact that illegal immigrants usually bring in a different culture (the vast majority do come from Mexico), and people can be uncomfortable with a different culture. I'm not saying that's what people here feel, or the majority, but I know some people are like that (although they also tend to be against legal immigration, as well, and if we changed our laws to allow anyone into the country, thus meaning all immigrants are following our laws and not making a mockery of them, those people would still not be happy).

I'm actually for deportations, but only if it's fast. Otherwise, one, it's not effective (why does it take months and years for the courts to handle these things?) and two, it creates these situations like the gentleman in the video that make it sound that by upholding our own laws we're the bad guys.
Addressing your first paragraph. Even if part of the reason we don't want illegal aliens here is because we don't want our culture, language diluted especially when the majority are from one ethnic group there is nothing inherently racist about that. Would Mexico want the same thing to happen to them if there were millions of Asians for example illegally in their country and thereby changing their country from a Hispanic one to an Asian one in identity? Come on, objecting to that is not racism. Besides, we already have every culture/ethnic group living here already. The same group here in the largest numbers illegally are also allowed in here in the largest numbers legally. What happened to diversity?

Old 05-06-2014, 06:35 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Ship him back to wherever he came from.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:19 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
For the time being we do know how to keep wealth here and that's not allowing everyone that can walk in, walk in. For every sad case we can come up with from Mexico and Guatemala there are 50 on the Continent of Africa that would trade places with them in Mexico and Guatemala.
You are 100% correct!

Old 05-08-2014, 11:02 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
If someone was shoplifting since age 14, and shoplifting to benefit his wife and kids, it doesn't make the crime acceptable.

If he found a American wife -- then why didn't she sponsor him instead? They should not feel they're above the law just because they were having baby after baby -- other immigrants abide by the laws -- and it's especially ugly that some of these illegals have babies for the purpose of getting around the immigration laws.

He needs to go home -- there is a 10 year requirement for them to stay there before he can have legal status -- that's fair, others are following that requirement.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:29 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
He was actually back in the U.S. with his family before the video was published (it said at its end), thankfully.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:53 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,409,523 times
We have had a number of high profile cases where a very successful businesswoman with a husband, family, and multiple employees turned out to be an escapee from some east coast prison 35+ years earlier. How would you treat them?

Old 05-09-2014, 03:47 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
We have had a number of high profile cases where a very successful businesswoman with a husband, family, and multiple employees turned out to be an escapee from some east coast prison 35+ years earlier. How would you treat them?
^Good point! For invasion cheerleaders, illegals are entitled to amnesty and green cards when they break the laws. Invasion cheerleaders expect law breaking Americans to go to jail. They have a double standard, don't you know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration