Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 12:45 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,332,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
LOL, this is exactly what happened to us. I married my wife overseas and we went through all the paperwork, exams, fees and interviews. She got her conditional green card. Two years later went through more paperwork, fees and interviews. She got the permanent green card. Then she became a US citizen after MORE paperwork, fees and citizenship test.

I've told her many times it would have been cheaper and faster to have just dropped her in Tijuana and had her come across illegally. It would have been the same end result. But then, I guess some of us obey the law and some don't.
Noooo......my X husband enter illegally.....we went though all of that....plus...he had to go back.....and enter legally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 01:05 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,717,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
LOL, this is exactly what happened to us. I married my wife overseas and we went through all the paperwork, exams, fees and interviews. She got her conditional green card. Two years later went through more paperwork, fees and interviews. She got the permanent green card. Then she became a US citizen after MORE paperwork, fees and citizenship test.

I've told her many times it would have been cheaper and faster to have just dropped her in Tijuana and had her come across illegally. It would have been the same end result. But then, I guess some of us obey the law and some don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Noooo......my X husband enter illegally.....we went though all of that....plus...he had to go back.....and enter legally.
As several people have pointed out its still relatively easy to become a citizen of the US...marry another citizen. That's a good argument for keeping the existing immigration laws as they are.

Getting a drivers license is not the same as becoming a citizen or allowing someone to vote. Standardized birth certificates that cant be forged or citizen ship documents when registering to vote would solve the problem of illegals registering to vote. The only holdouts on Dreamer licenses are Arizona and Nebraska and Arizona will change eventually. Republicans will be forced to change or face being voted out of office.

Old 07-04-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
As several people have pointed out its still relatively easy to become a citizen of the US...marry another citizen. That's a good argument for keeping the existing immigration laws as they are.

Getting a drivers license is not the same as becoming a citizen or allowing someone to vote. Standardized birth certificates that cant be forged or citizen ship documents when registering to vote would solve the problem of illegals registering to vote. The only holdouts on Dreamer licenses are Arizona and Nebraska and Arizona will change eventually. Republicans will be forced to change or face being voted out of office.
Not JUST get married.....there is a lot to it....it is not a sure thing at all.

Old 07-04-2014, 01:27 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,214,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Not JUST get married.....there is a lot to it....it is not a sure thing at all.
No it isn't. The applicant better be able to speak english during the interview. Read english as well. Many steps and a lot of waiting. That's why it is utterly insulting when Obama claims illegals will have to follow the same path as legals. No head of line pass.
Hello they get to stay. That is a head of line pass.... Obama lies and his minions swear to it. None bother to actually look beyond the man's words.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:14 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,897,524 times
Quote:

Ok; why do YOU want lawbreakers to even get a DL?? Does Mexico issue DL's to Americans there ILLEGALLY in English??

Old 07-04-2014, 04:15 PM

6,260 posts, read 5,067,187 times
Quote:
As several people have pointed out its still relatively easy to become a citizen of the US...marry another citizen.
Wrong.

I married an American so had a sponsorship leg-up (although I still had to prove my educational and professional background, and we both had to prove that we were skilled enough to have enough earning potentia, so that I would not become a financial burden to this country). I keep saying "I" but my two underage boys were involved in the process as well. Marrying an American did not make ME an American.

I got my US citizenship two years ago - more forms, more money, more fingerprints, more interviews, a civics test (you know........the one that three out of four Americans cannot pass).

Old 07-04-2014, 05:38 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Wrong.

I married an American so had a sponsorship leg-up (although I still had to prove my educational and professional background, and we both had to prove that we were skilled enough to have enough earning potentia, so that I would not become a financial burden to this country). I keep saying "I" but my two underage boys were involved in the process as well. Marrying an American did not make ME an American.

I got my US citizenship two years ago - more forms, more money, more fingerprints, more interviews, a civics test (you know........the one that three out of four Americans cannot pass).
This American could pass it.

I know what's involved with sponsoring a spouse...been there, done that. You are right, it is NOT easy.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:08 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,475,494 times
I don't think Borregokid was saying all you had to do was getting married to a US citizen to become a citizen. But it helps. I have some Russian friends as well as some friends from Taiwan and both couples went through more of a hassle than myself and my American born husband did.

Yes, I still had to go through a bunch of paperwork and bureaucracy but I wouldn't say it was very hard, just kind of a hassle. Like a really lengthy job application as well as pretty expensive.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Wrong.

Do they still take a picture of one of your ears???

I think that was the oddest thing.....but, it was supposed to be more accurate to identify someone by than finger prints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration