Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 12:03 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,492,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why is taxpayer money going to religious institutions? Isn't that what liberals always object to when they oppose school vouchers? Why the double standard?
Because BUSH put it through. It wasn't dems or liberals. My guess is conservatives (actually base conservatives) were for it because they thought the money would only go to groups/churches they supported. Not so much fun when it's used by others that you aren't so fond of, huh? Some, well lots, of people saw this coming a mile away. Think, people. Wherever you fall on the political spectrum, think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 01:36 AM

15,525 posts, read 10,492,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I assume, and hope, that people realize that it was Bush that opened up this Faith Based Initiative. Not Obama. Knew it would be a nightmare then, and not happy to have been right.
Actually, Bush expanded the "Charitable Choice" provision, which was already part of President Clinton's 1996 welfare reform bill. Pretty sure this all started well before either one of them though. I know the UN's been pushing it for eons.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Actually, Bush expanded the "Charitable Choice" provision, which was already part of President Clinton's 1996 welfare reform bill. Pretty sure this all started well before either one of them though. I know the UN's been pushing it for eons.
That may be. I need to look it up. I'm annoyed that people are SUDDENLY upset about it. I knew it was going to be problematic.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:18 AM

88,994 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Because BUSH put it through. It wasn't dems or liberals. My guess is conservatives (actually base conservatives) were for it because they thought the money would only go to groups/churches they supported. Not so much fun when it's used by others that you aren't so fond of, huh? Some, well lots, of people saw this coming a mile away. Think, people. Wherever you fall on the political spectrum, think.
No, Bush isn't paying BCFS $190 Million to care for the unaccompanied minor illegals flooding the border this year. The Obama Admin is doing that.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:34 AM

And it's more than just $190 Million. The federal government has paid BCFS $280 Million so far this fiscal year:
Largest Illegal Immigration Contractor BCFS Busted For Failing To Disclose Lobbying Activity…

Old 07-28-2014, 10:25 AM

15,525 posts, read 10,492,988 times
Quote:
That may be. I need to look it up. I'm annoyed that people are SUDDENLY upset about it. I knew it was going to be problematic.
Well, there's plenty of room to blame all our leaders. This has been snow balling ever since I can remember. Heck, I even remember when Reagan's deal was supposed to have stopped this. I'm just freaked out because we don't have the resources to support this huge new wave. I don't think any of our leaders care, none of them. Obama sure doesn't, congress sure doesn't and that's where we are today.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, Bush isn't paying BCFS $190 Million to care for the unaccompanied minor illegals flooding the border this year. The Obama Admin is doing that.
No but Bush EXPANDED the govt money that could be paid to churches, etc... . This is what I'm talking about. Whenever something like that happens you have to think about the future and whether you (general you) would be happy if it was used for something that you don't agree with. Faith Based Initiative sounds good (even to me) but with it, we as tax payers, don't get to pick and choose.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Well, there's plenty of room to blame all our leaders. This has been snow balling ever since I can remember. Heck, I even remember when Reagan's deal was supposed to have stopped this. I'm just freaked out because we don't have the resources to support this huge new wave. I don't think any of our leaders care, none of them. Obama sure doesn't, congress sure doesn't and that's where we are today.
Agreed. I just hate the hypocrisy of blaming one president (and I have plenty of issues with him) when the same people were perfectly happy, or silent, when another helped contribute greatly. We (Americans)tend to have very short memories.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:23 AM

Quote:
No but Bush EXPANDED the govt money that could be paid to churches, etc...
And Obama expanded it even further.

The bogus "no public money for religious private schools" argument against school vouchers is clearly a load of crap. Public money already goes to religious institutions for various social services, and Obama has spent more that way than any other president.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:02 PM

29 posts, read 58,737 times
UPDATE:

Yesterday, we spoke with a development officer at what would be, based on the name "Baptist", a sister organization in Texas. Beyond name recognition and area of service, there was no knowledge of BCFS funding sources or size of funds received.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration