U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-24-2008, 01:53 PM
 
9 posts, read 4,475 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Great news! I hope this passes and sets precedents for other states to follow.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-24-2008, 06:37 PM
 
Location: On my way to FLA baby !!
1,999 posts, read 1,182,711 times
Reputation: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Truth Detective View Post
Great news! I hope this passes and sets precedents for other states to follow.......
This would be awesome and would force people to learn our lanquage instead of us having to learn theirs.
I dont mind people speaking others but my goodness I am getting forced to read spanish when I dont want to. Press 1 for English, 2 for Spanish has to stop!

Go Virginia !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2008, 06:45 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
10,716 posts, read 31,030,974 times
Reputation: 6654
I think its awesome, I applaud your states efforts. I hope it sets a precedent for other states to follow suit. If the Federal government can't get it done nationally then lets hope it can be done state by state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2008, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
754 posts, read 1,282,399 times
Reputation: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
No one hates those who don't know english. Americans only want immigrants to know that English is the unofficial MAJORITY language of this country and dont want anyone changing it. I think everyone who wants to live in America should learn FLUENT english.

I work as a teller at different banks in Northern Virginia and do you have any idea how frustrating it is to deal with customers who dont understand a thing that is coming outta your mouth or they wait in line for a spanish speaking teller when you are more than happy to help them? I really wish every pro-illegal pro-ESL person could have this experience and still say "english should not be the offical language." I got passed over several bank positions b/c my second language was not spanish, thankfully i got with a bank that hired me on my character, skills, and potential and not whether i "spokea the spainish."

Also if anyone wants to learn english why should it be at taxpayer expense? They made the choice to come here w/o learning english, let them pick up THEIR tab for learning english. Alexandria City schools could get so much farther in education if we did not have to deal with the ESL drama.

Also i think everyone on the councils in Arlington County and Alexandria City are idiots for making these cities welcome mats for illegals who refuse to play by the rules.

My thoughts exactly! Why is it that wanting everyone to speak English is anti immigrant? I don't understand that mentality, however, I get why it's a valid argument because of the number of people here who don't speak it. I travel a lot and one of the places I love to go the most is Paris. I love it so much I am actually considering moving there. Now, if I do I am not going to move there and hope to find a bunch of other people who speak English. No, I am going to learn the language. I've bought tapes, and I'm speaking to some of my co workers in French trying to brush up on it. Why, because it's what you're supposed to do. To say that everyone who supports this bill is somehow racist is EXTREMELY arrogant. How dare you say that Americans should pay for anyone to learn English. Did they not know this was the language when they moved here? I am also sick of the argument that immigrants are having a hard time learning the language. When did this start? People have been coming here for decades and learned the language why is it all of a sudden a problem? Did they not teach English in their home country? Did they not have access to a library or classes in their native country to try to learn English? More often than not, the real reason most immigrants who do not know English don't know it because not enough effort was put in to assimmilate. Why should they when instead of them actually learning the language we bend over backwards to make them feel comfortable when it's everyone else who has to scratch their heads trying to understand them.

Unfortunately, this has gone on so long that it now seen as anti immigration, when something as simple as saying ok if you live here now you have to learn the language. In my opinion, that's just down right ridiculous that we have to have legislation for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2008, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Missouri of course
407 posts, read 714,770 times
Reputation: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyinLa View Post
My thoughts exactly! Why is it that wanting everyone to speak English is anti immigrant?
You must mean anti-ILLEGAL immigrants. Please use the proper words before you go callin g names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2008, 07:32 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
754 posts, read 1,282,399 times
Reputation: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthMother1951 View Post
You must mean anti-ILLEGAL immigrants. Please use the proper words before you go callin g names.
Actually, I meant anti immigrant. I am supposing that this bill is for both legal and illegal immigrants the same. Doing the responsible thing and becoming a legal immigrant has nothing to do with learning the language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2008, 07:34 PM
 
Location: At Sea....and Midwest....
272 posts, read 715,098 times
Reputation: 161
Wow! Good Job Virginia! Another state with some guts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2008, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyinLa View Post
Actually, I meant anti immigrant. I am supposing that this bill is for both legal and illegal immigrants the same. Doing the responsible thing and becoming a legal immigrant has nothing to do with learning the language.
Sounds like you and EarthMother1951 are on the same page......just a couple of crossed wires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2008, 07:09 AM
 
Location: Missouri of course
407 posts, read 714,770 times
Reputation: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyinLa View Post
Actually, I meant anti immigrant. I am supposing that this bill is for both legal and illegal immigrants the same. Doing the responsible thing and becoming a legal immigrant has nothing to do with learning the language.
I am sorry I misunderstood your statement. Apology to you. It was my fault because I only skimmed and did not read it thoroughly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2008, 07:33 AM
 
Location: Where there is too much snow!
6,076 posts, read 10,737,519 times
Reputation: 2923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
KSDK NewsChannel 5 - Virginia May Become 'English Only'

A new bill in Virginia would make it illegal to provide services to Virginians in languages other than English. H.B. 55 in VA reimposes that English is Virginia's offical language and no state or local govt can provide documents in non-english languages. The bill makes exceptions for foreign language instruction, court and police documents and health care services.

All i can say is Thank God!!!!!!!!!!!! Virginia is beloved my home state and i don't want it to become ESL-ville. Hopefully this sends the message to illegals and anyone else that don't want to learn English that you aint welcome in my state and you need to bounce.

GOD BLESS VIRGINIA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its about time someone leads the way to telling the politicians to get their heads out of there Butts. Now I wish Ohio would follow suit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top