Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 01:29 PM

14 posts, read 70,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory View Post
To answer you question, I have heard there is an active KKK in Canon City and one in Indian Hills, between Morrison and Conifer. I don't know if either is true. I think there are little pockets of hate like that everywhere, but it does seem to quickly be being replaced with hatred for illegal aliens. They seem to be the scapegoat for every problem our country has right now.

I just dont get people. Severely penalize employers, and its taken care of. No need for radical patriotic anti-anyone anything.

It seems that people more and more are speaking of illegal immigrants as if they are just normal people who want a better life. That would be the case if there weren't laws on the books that make their entry into this country ILLEGAL, but I can see you recognize that because you didn't use words like "displaced" or "undocumented" like the media elite like to use.

When you have about 13 million (FAIR: : How Many Illegal Aliens?) of them wandering around the country, and many thousands of people waiting in other countries for permission to immigrate to a place that they would love to call home (about 1 million skilled workers in '06 http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/19/us/19immigration.html), not just where they need to be to make money and send it back to "home", it starts to become a problem. The claim of scapegoating those poor illegal immigrants for every problem seems to be a pretty direct attempt to devalue the fact that they are criminals and have been since they entered illegally.

An example: If I came into your house and wandered around doing laundry and making dinner for your family, but you had no idea who I was, never knew when I would come or go, or who I would invite in with me, would you start to be upset and nervous for your children or just love that you got the work done for cheap?

We are not anti-anybody except the criminals that come in here ILLEGALLY, so again, stop insinuating that we hate hispanics or any/all immigrants. We know that we all started as immigrants, and we assimilated. I don't speak German like my kin of 5 generations ago. We just want this to be a country with secure borders that doesn't let anybody and their cousins coming in at their leisure with no verification of intent, health, and financial means.

You are correct about the enforcement of employers. This is exactly what is happening as of 1/1/08 in AZ, Arizona firms brace for immigration sanctions law | U.S. | Reuters
and I might be assuming too much when I guess that you feel bad for those poor people losing their jobs in the name of law enforcement. We also need to wall off the border, TOTALLY, except or select checkpoints. Yes this wouldn't solve the immigration problem entirely, and people would still be snuck in, but this would make it a little tougher, and would probably reduce the number who turn out to be violent criminals since that would cost a lot of money to get into a country just to murder or rape when you can just as easily do it in good ole Mexico for free.

Making knowledge of how to speak, understand, write, and read a NATIONAL language of english is also a necessary step, and as a stand-alone, would at least encourage assimilation instead of the all-spanish billboards, and commercials and the bilingual everything you see, from phone messages to restroom signs to safeties on construction sites. Heaven forbid a non-english speaker hurt themselves while working on the cheap for your construction project.(BTW, bilingualism I am not attacking spanish or bilingualism at all)

My 2.5c ends here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 02:08 PM

739 posts, read 2,949,334 times
hmm, sounds like trolling to me? anyone else?

Old 01-04-2008, 02:22 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgt13 View Post
It seems that people more and more are speaking of illegal immigrants as if they are just normal people who want a better life.
They are normal people and they do want a better life.

I shudder to think how bad it is in their home countries for them to cross Arizona deserts in summer, live 15 people in a house, and work like slaves, yes slaves, for peanuts.

Last edited by Charles; 01-04-2008 at 02:33 PM..

Old 01-04-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj32 View Post
hmm, sounds like trolling to me? anyone else?

I'll leave it up to the moderator to decide whether I'm a troll or not, but I think your response sounds more like a whole lot of silence in response to and attempt to debate an issue that is, from what I understand, very much in the forefront of issues in and around Colorado as well as the rest of the US.

No, MorningGlory, they are normal people that broke our law knowingly when they snuck into our country instead of going through the same process that millions of other wait to go through every year.

I shudder to think how much potential that country has if only the people would fight to fix their country (with our country's assistance if it began, I ASSURE YOU) and its corrupt "wealthy". If only people like you would stop sympathizing with them and allowing them to come here, the pressure would build in that country to actually overthrow their government and build a productive country using all of these hardworkers streaming to our country.

Keep in mind that for all of the immigrating going on, things aren't quite bad enough here for our poor and people losing manufacturing jobs to illegally immigrate to Canada or Mexico. I would rather use our resources to help those immigrating here illegally to fix their country rather than to prop up ours. You?

Old 01-04-2008, 03:15 PM

Default Fruit picking a dose of reality? Try a national revolution!

I don't blame them for sneaking in here, I'd probably do the same, unless it was so difficult and costly to get in, that to make the life for my children and their children better, I knew the only option was a revolution of the country. Do you think that if Canada was a booming industry around 1776 with weak border enforcement and millions of job opportunities, that the men who died in our Revolutionary War would have stuck around and fought the British or moved along the easiest conduit to a better life? Who knows, we might have already let Mexico's George Washington and Benjamin Franklin, and Frederick Douglas illegally immigrate up here to pick lettuce for you and me instead of fixing their country. Ever thought of that?

As traumatizing as those images are (), they pale in comparison to the images we would see if we took away the easy escape for those illegal mexican immigrants. First we would see a lot of bloodshed, as is commonplace during uprisings to unseat corrupt government, but that would be followed by the rebirth of an effective non-third world nation to our south. The first step is to stop the flow. How long will it take for both sides of the political spectrum to realize that?

A blog about an uprising...slightly pertinent Alas, a blog » Blog Archive » The Oaxaca Uprising

"When you’re working yourself into poverty and your kids are hungry, it’s not hard to find common ground with your neighbors-something’s got to change."

"Yet APPO’s clear commitment to non-violence and a negotiated solution has been met with fierce military escalation on the part of the Mexican government. As the number of troops, tanks and helicopters began to rise, so too has the tally of ilegal detentions, murders, forced disappearances, torture and police misconduct."

Please approach the issue with a little more compassion for Mexico and native Mexicans before you presume what is better for Mexico. Just imagine where Mexico could be if they fixed their own country instead of making your vegetables cheaper. I would rather have the expensive fruit, YOU?

Last edited by atgt13; 01-04-2008 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: Forgot about George, or Jorge.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:53 PM

739 posts, read 2,949,334 times
no, I just think it is funny how you just joined very, very recently and are spewing out a bunch of animosity towards regular posters on this forum.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:57 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
They are normal people and they do want a better life.

I shudder to think how bad it is in their home countries for them to cross Arizona deserts in summer, live 15 people in a house, and work like slaves, yes slaves, for peanuts.

Sometimes not as bad as you think, many just want more and want to retire early, as many have told me. Also, we have our own problems we cant take on thier's as well, so it really doesnt matter why they come here. And btw they are not the only ones working like slaves!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration