Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2015, 02:39 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Tucked in her pocket was $100 in carefully folded bills for another expense: the fee the salon owner charges each new employee for her job. The deal was the same as it is for beginning manicurists in almost any salon in the New York area. She would work for no wages, subsisting on meager tips, until her boss decided she was skillful enough to merit a wage.

It would take nearly three months before her boss paid her. Thirty dollars a day.
Quote:
Almost all of the workers interviewed by The Times, like Ms. Ren, had limited English; many are in the country illegally.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/10/ny...=28763748&_r=1

I've seen quite a few of these places in West Los Angeles, and I've always suspected most of the employees were illegal aliens.

And when illegal aliens are doing jobs that aren't even necessary in the first place, you know there's something really wrong with our imperatives -- I imagine the dying days of Rome were something like this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 08:58 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
I never get manicures. This is one of the reasons why.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:57 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,666 times
My neighbor does nails so I'd go to her. Plus it's extra money to go with her disability pay (she has MS). She's not illegal. I've seen these places and nope I'd never go to them.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:57 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I never get manicures. This is one of the reasons why.
I don't either, in part for the reasons listed in this thread.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:23 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
In Idaho Asian illegals were opening nail salons, which, were actually "massage parlors." They even went into the most remote parts of Idaho and tried renting out rooms in hotels, only to find they were not renting these rooms for themselves. They were running businesses out of them, guess beats paying for office space.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:33 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,015,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
In Idaho Asian illegals were opening nail salons, which, were actually "massage parlors." They even went into the most remote parts of Idaho and tried renting out rooms in hotels, only to find they were not renting these rooms for themselves. They were running businesses out of them, guess beats paying for office space.
Those massage parlors are often brothels in disguise. It's a hotbed for sex slave trafficking. There's been a few stories in the MSM about it, secret brothels all over the country that have women trafficked in from a foreign country and sold as prostitutes, and given no pay (they are slaves) right here in the USA

Old 05-12-2015, 06:00 PM

118 posts, read 126,121 times
The nail salons are nothing, alot of the Koreans and Chinese have brothels operating as massage parlors in most of America's big cities.

And these are not "hotbeds of sex slave trafficking". These people knowingly and freely do this for quick money.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:07 AM

268 posts, read 241,165 times
Quote:
As far as small businesses go, it is relatively easy to open a nail salon.
Just a few thousand dollars is needed for things like pedicure chairs with whirlpool baths. Little English is required, and there are few licensing hoops to jump through. Many skip them altogether. Overhead is minimal: rent and some new bottles of polish each month — and the rock-bottom wages of wokers.
That explains why almost every shopping center in the country has a nail salon. Along with a Chinese or Mexican restaurant.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:54 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesInDC View Post
The nail salons are nothing, alot of the Koreans and Chinese have brothels operating as massage parlors in most of America's big cities.

And these are not "hotbeds of sex slave trafficking". These people knowingly and freely do this for quick money.
Some willing while some are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration