Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 08:34 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatore Marciano View Post
She only does media interviews in Spanish and refuses to do media interviews in English. That is proof enough that she is not fluent in English. You do not see Arnold Schwarzenegger do only media interviews in German.
So what? Mrs. Jeb isn't running for anything.
If Jeb gets the job, Mrs. Jeb will just be another very quiet First Lady who stays out of the spotlight. They were once quite common.

Why do you think her speaking abilities are important anyway?

Old 06-06-2015, 09:03 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
If Jeb gets the job, Mrs. Jeb will just be another very quiet First Lady who stays out of the spotlight. They were once quite common.

First ladies are expected to give speeches and promote a favorite cause---haven't you noticed? For example, Michelle Obama has given some commencement speeches. They are expected to wine and dine various people and be able to communicate with them. The days of the "very quiet First Lady" are long gone.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:21 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,374,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
There are a lot of 5th Generation Americans who can barely speak English.

OP is trolling to Criticize the Bushs. Much like the NYT digging up Rubio's wifes traffic tickets.
No, (s)he isn't. It's pretty much a well known fact that she's not fluent in English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
^Interesting link.

I've always wondered about Columba Bush and why she was never seen, let alone never talked to the press. If Jeb wants to be president (and I hope he never will be president!), Columba will have to accept that she will have to face the press and answer questions in English. If she should become first lady (please, no!) she will be in the spotlight in a really big way and much will be expected of her.

All that aside, when Jeb said that illegal immigration is "an act of love", right then and there I knew that he would never get my vote!
Same here.

Quote:

You have got to be kidding? You really think it's OK if the First Lady of the United States doesn't speak English fluently?

Old 06-07-2015, 12:15 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
First ladies are expected to give speeches and promote a favorite cause---haven't you noticed? For example, Michelle Obama has given some commencement speeches. They are expected to wine and dine various people and be able to communicate with them. The days of the "very quiet First Lady" are long gone.
Adopting a cause or not is up to the First Lady. There is nothing that says she must.

And wining and dining have been managed by daughters, nieces, cousins, and other relatives of past Presidents. There is no requirement that a First Lady must do this either. If a very private First Lady defies expectations and chooses to let the White House staff, which functions like a well-oiled machine, take over, we would all get used to it soon enough. Several recent First Ladies have done so.

While it may have been a long time since the last quiet First Lady, that can change in the speed of one day- the day we go vote. Since we don't ever elect the First Lady, whatever obligations any of them choose to take on are all their own choices. A First Lady isn't even be required to live in the White House, and several have not, although they visited their husbands frequently when they didn't.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:27 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Here comes the Political Landscape of Race-Based Appeals.

I will ONLY vote for an American president.

Mr. Rand Paul

Old 06-07-2015, 12:30 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
^Interesting link.

I've always wondered about Columba Bush and why she was never seen, let alone never talked to the press. If Jeb wants to be president (and I hope he never will be president!), Columba will have to accept that she will have to face the press and answer questions in English. If she should become first lady (please, no!) she will be in the spotlight in a really big way and much will be expected of her.

All that aside, when Jeb said that illegal immigration is "an act of love", right then and there I knew that he would never get my vote!
Same here.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:34 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatore Marciano View Post
Jeb Bush's wife is technically is not an Illegal Alien, but culturally she still is one.
Culturally illegal?
Quote:
Can you imagine if an American had been living in Mexico since the 1970s and
still spoke very little Spanish.
I'm sure there are many Americans who have lived a long time in Mexico but do not speak Spanish well.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:19 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Is she retarded?

Old 06-07-2015, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Adopting a cause or not is up to the First Lady. There is nothing that says she must.

And wining and dining have been managed by daughters, nieces, cousins, and other relatives of past Presidents. There is no requirement that a First Lady must do this either. If a very private First Lady defies expectations and chooses to let the White House staff, which functions like a well-oiled machine, take over, we would all get used to it soon enough. Several recent First Ladies have done so.

While it may have been a long time since the last quiet First Lady, that can change in the speed of one day- the day we go vote. Since we don't ever elect the First Lady, whatever obligations any of them choose to take on are all their own choices. A First Lady isn't even be required to live in the White House, and several have not, although they visited their husbands frequently when they didn't.
First you say "Several recent First Ladies have done so". Then you contradict yourself and say "While it may have been a long time since the last quiet First Lady". Name the last "quiet" First Lady---one that totally refused to talk to the press or attend any White House dinners. Past presidents who had "daughters, nieces, cousins and other relatives" manage the wining and dining did so because they were widowed.

As I said, those days are gone where the First Lady can be "quiet" and not at all involved.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post

I'm sure there are many Americans who have lived a long time in Mexico but do not speak Spanish well.
^And that is just as wrong as a Mexican who has lived here for a long time and doesn't speak English well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.