Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 02:05 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,683,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Jose Antonio Vargas, the widely known journalist-turned-immigration-activist who penned the story "My Life as an Undocumented Immigrant" for The New York Times magazine, delivered a speech to the Online News Association (ONA) on Friday in which he challenged journalists to stop using the word "illegal" when referring to undocumented immigrants.

Jose Antonio Vargas Crosses Picket Line To Deliver Charged Speech On Immigration To Journalists

I'm an immigrant advocate, but this guy I can't stand. Stop trying to dictate how Americans use language. You're in their country.

He's not even a Dreamer.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:16 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
What a clown. Illegal alien explains exactly the behavior they are doing.

"It is not only an inhumane term -- it is a political term, it is an unfair term, it is an inaccurate term."

I too have a really personal message to deliver, QUIT BREAKING OUR LAWS!!

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 09-21-2012 at 02:25 PM..

Old 09-21-2012, 02:49 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,306,124 times
Default Illegal Immigrant Journalist Wants Americans to Stop Using "Illegal" When Referring to Illegal Aliens

Criminalien?

Old 09-21-2012, 02:52 PM

62,975 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
What a clown. Illegal alien explains exactly the behavior they are doing.

"It is not only an inhumane term -- it is a political term, it is an unfair term, it is an inaccurate term."

I too have a really personal message to deliver, QUIT BREAKING OUR LAWS!!
I'd be curious to know why the term is considered to be inhumane, political and unfair by him.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:12 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,569,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I'd be curious to know why the term is considered to be inhumane, political and unfair by him.
The Feds (FBI/DEA/IRS/DHS) certainly don't consider it inhumane, political or unfair. Politicians and the media may try to sugarcoat it, but "illegal alien" remains the only term used in every indictment involving foreigners in this country illegally.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:27 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Jose Antonio Vargas Crosses Picket Line To Deliver Charged Speech On Immigration To Journalists

I'm an immigrant advocate, but this guy I can't stand. Stop trying to dictate how Americans use language. You're in their country.

He's not even a Dreamer.
Vargas; the words to describe a NON US citizen person here without a green card ARE "illegal alien".

Old 09-22-2012, 10:45 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,809,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post

He's not even a Dreamer.

First time you ever heard of this?

Welcome to ten years ago.

Illegal immigrants don't like the term illegal immigrant. This is something those of us informed and educated people have known for years.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:54 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
I'm pretty sure shoplifters don't like to be called shoplifters. Maybe we could just call them undocumented shoppers. And embezzlers aren't embezzlers, they were just giving themselves an undocumented raise. Bank robbers are just people who want to withdraw money but it's not their fault they don't have an account.

And we need nicer terms for con artists, drug addicts, deadbeat fathers, hot check writers and so on.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:56 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,156,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post

Illegal immigrants don't like the term illegal immigrant. This is something those of us informed and educated people have known for years.
Informed educated people in all walks of life use the term Illegal Aliens....because that is the most correct humane term to us. What would you suggest? I personally have a HUGE issue with *******, border jumpers, boat people...etc. ILLEGAL ALIEN is the only correct term to use.

If an illegal immigrant aka illegal alien is uncomfortable with that title...GET LEGAL and ASSIMILATE and act like you want to be a resident of the country that is taking you in and offering you the opportunities that you came here for...

Old 09-22-2012, 12:15 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post

I don't care. Illegal aliens are here illegally and I DON'T care what they think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration