Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 05:30 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,749,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
At the outset of the presidential race, immigration emerged as a hot-button issue among Republicans, fueled by deep politicaldivisions that were evident in Bush's unsuccessful efforts to get an immigration bill through Congress.
But the issue was later eclipsed by voter concerns over the economy and health care. Republican candidates pushing restrictive policies -- Tom Tancredo, Mitt Romney, Rudy Giuliani and Fred Thompson -- all dropped from the race.
''Immigration is a dud issue,'' Houston-area Republican pollster David Hill wrote in an op-ed article. 'Immigration baiters like Mitt Romney and Rudy Giuliani went to the showers early. Someone should ask: if the immigration issue is such a `killer' issue, why are its staunchest advocates such losers.''

In Edinburg in deep South Texas, residents are upset over the border fence but, overall, don't regard immigration as a pressing issue, says Jerry Polinard, a professor at the University of Texas-Pan American.
''When you start talking about what the major issues are,'' he says, it's the economy, health care and education. Immigration is way down the ladder.''
Pro-immigration groups are heartened by the softening tone over immigration while groups pressing for limits on immigration are braced for another administration that will likely continue Bush's efforts.
''It's has been a good election season for us,'' said Frank Sharry, director of America's Voice and a leader in the coalition that pushed comprehensive immigration legislation in Congress. ``Most pundits thought that immigration was an issue that worked for hard-line Republicans and hurt pro-immigration Democrats
Immigration not dominant issue in Texas primary - 02/25/2008 - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/political-currents/story/432842.html - broken link)

I always knew the most vocal opponents against legalization were in the minority. They have no voting power imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 07:08 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Immigration not dominant issue in Texas primary - 02/25/2008 - MiamiHerald.com (broken link)

I always knew the most vocal opponents against legalization were in the minority. They have no voting power imo.
So, how did we make our representatives vote down the shamnesty bill TWICE? Was it a fluke?

Besides, the states are handling the illegal immigration issue themselves, since the feds don't want to do their job. All the candidates want amnesty, so we've pretty much given up on them. It's left up to the states now.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:16 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
So, how did we make our representatives vote down the shamnesty bill TWICE? Was it a fluke?

Besides, the states are handling the illegal immigration issue themselves, since the feds don't want to do their job. All the candidates want amnesty, so we've pretty much given up on them. It's left up to the states now.
Things may change once Bush is out of office.........he is useless.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post

The feds will eventually have to address the issue, they can't just keep on ignoring it forever. The GOP will lose big in 2008 and they will realize that holding a hardline stance on immigration doesn't help them get elected in anyway, thus making them soften their stance on the issue. When the next debate comes up, they won't listen anymore to the vocal minority who always flood congress with phone calls because they would have been exposed us not having enough voting power to influence any election.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:59 AM

327 posts, read 755,314 times
Any one who's anti-illegals and wants to be president should have a "let the states deal with it attitude."

It would be political suicide in 4 states to come out with a "deport them all now!" stance. Likewise, it'd be equally harmful if people who want to see something done gets the impression they don't care at all about this issue.

It's a good way to stay on the fence without making either side angry.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:36 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
I alway knew that those who oppose the Iraq war are in the minority. See how that works?

Don't you think it's just a bit disingenuous to use a no-name town in "deep south Texas" as an example?

Old 02-26-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I alway knew that those who oppose the Iraq war are in the minority. See how that works?
Republicans found out in 2006 they weren't in the minority. They will also find the same thing out in 2008

Old 02-26-2008, 01:04 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,406 times
Quote:
The feds will eventually have to address the issue, they can't just keep on ignoring it forever. The GOP will lose big in 2008 and they will realize that holding a hardline stance on immigration doesn't help them get elected in anyway, thus making them soften their stance on the issue. When the next debate comes up, they won't listen anymore to the vocal minority who always flood congress with phone calls because they would have been exposed us not having enough voting power to influence any election.
Where are you getting this "vocal minority" thing, when every poll that's been done for the last few years says that the American people want to stop illegal immigration?

And, NOBODY in government has a "hardline stance" on illegal immigration, except one or two. That's why the states have taken over.

And, may I ask if you're an American citizen? If so, why would you tolerate illegal immigration? It sounds like you think it's a good idea or something.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:19 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
Republicans found out in 2006 they weren't in the minority. They will also find the same thing out in 2008
Don't you mean, "...they were in the minority?"

I see my point flew right over your head. Such is the case with partisan politics, which apparently is your only motive for being pro-illegal. No thought process...no logic...no principles...just a lot of cheering "Hurray for my side!"

Old 02-26-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Don't you mean, "...they were in the minority?"

I see my point flew right over your head. Such is the case with partisan politics, which apparently is your only motive for being pro-illegal. No thought process...no logic...no principles...just a lot of cheering "Hurray for my side!"
NO, i meant they(as in those who oppose the war) weren't the minority as you suggested
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration