Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 06:17 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,753,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Only 2% of illegals are farm workers the rest are doing blue collared jobs that Americans were already doing for a fair wage. Check out number 3 in the link.

'Illegal Alien Facts' vs. the Truth-O-Meter | PolitiFact
That link does not differentiate between country of origin. As I mentioned earlier, and as covered by the USDA link, the majority of farm workers who are illegal immigrants are Mexican migrant workers.

Second, it doesn't matter if only 2% off all illegal immigrants are farm workers, the majority of farm workers are illegal immigrants. Just because not all animals are horses doesn't mean all horses aren't animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 07:39 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,893,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Ok, are you going to be willing to increase your spending on groceries by 60%? is everyone?
Can you prove that produce would increase by 60%? Can you prove that the farms that use illegals pass on the cost savings to the consumer?
I can play this game.
Are we willing to pay for higher produce if our property taxes go down by 50% because we aren't paying for extra services for illegals?
Can we live with higher costs of produce if our state taxes go down because we have less illegals committing crimes?
Your myth of 60% increases has been debunked many times.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:21 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,511,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
They would probably be up the creek because if they hire real citizens, their costs would be far higher than the competitors who hire illegals for pennies.
I agree. But if people who do hire illegals would stop then it would even out eventually.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:27 AM

63,002 posts, read 29,210,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Can you prove that produce would increase by 60%? Can you prove that the farms that use illegals pass on the cost savings to the consumer?
I can play this game.
Are we willing to pay for higher produce if our property taxes go down by 50% because we aren't paying for extra services for illegals?
Can we live with higher costs of produce if our state taxes go down because we have less illegals committing crimes?

All good points. As I have stated in here many times only 2% of illegals are picking crops anyway and there are unlimited visas for legal workers.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:38 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,753,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I can play this game.
Yes.

An example from the dairy farmers association.

Losing Immigrant Workers on Dairy Farms Would Nearly Double Retail Milk Prices and Cost the Economy More than $32 Billion, New Report Finds | National Milk Producers Federation

I would like to read where this particular study has been debunked. Please share. Thanks.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:14 PM

27,170 posts, read 15,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Yes, Commercial Electrician.
I also quit due to it.

I should add that when this became more common in the latter '90s our wage stagnated quickly and quality of work decreased.

SOmetimes work would go in fast but many hours are spent redoing it by others.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:52 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,921,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Yes.

An example from the dairy farmers association.

Losing Immigrant Workers on Dairy Farms Would Nearly Double Retail Milk Prices and Cost the Economy More than $32 Billion, New Report Finds | National Milk Producers Federation

I would like to read where this particular study has been debunked. Please share. Thanks.
The survey results do not distinguish between documented and undocumented foreign-born workers, but 71 percent of survey respondents said they had either low or medium level of confidence in the employment documents of their immigrant workers. As a result, the report said, a majority of dairy farmers are very concerned about actions such as immigration raids or employee audits. Despite this, 80 percent of dairy farms surveyed continue to hire immigrants.

IMHO it's more a case of greed by those farmers cause dairys are pretty much year round; so, hiring even legal aliens shouldn't be too hard.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:21 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,510,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I hope you're right that the Repubs will take care of the problem. Otherwise; I don't know what's gonna happen.
Gov Scott(R) of FL ran for office promising to get rid of illegals. Promised to force e-verify in FL.
Once he got elected he changed his tune and decided not to force e-verify. He did nothing regarding illegals and has been in office 6 years. The corporations love hiring illegals and he sided with the corporations after the voters elected him.

This is pretty much how it goes all the time. It's only an empty promise used by the GOP to get your vote.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:37 PM

How is one to believe an article that refers to plain ole "immigrant" workers? What kind of immigrants are they referring to? There would be no need for them to hire the illegal ones since there are unlimited visas for legal workers. It's pure nonsense that milk and other dairy products would double either way. Even if that were true (but it isn't) add the $113 billion a year of passed on social costs to the taxpayer for their illegal hires by those farmers and those milk products are no bargain to begin with.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Gov Scott(R) of FL ran for office promising to get rid of illegals. Promised to force e-verify in FL.
Once he got elected he changed his tune and decided not to force e-verify. He did nothing regarding illegals and has been in office 6 years. The corporations love hiring illegals and he sided with the corporations after the voters elected him.

This is pretty much how it goes all the time. It's only an empty promise used by the GOP to get your vote.

And the Democrats promise amnesty to get votes so what's the difference? Has there been an amnesty since 1986?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration