Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 10:35 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,253,631 times

Advertisements

That is my opinion, how about you?
Immigration without assimilation is not immigration it is an invasion-capture.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 10:45 AM

1,225 posts, read 605,646 times
Assimilation is a dangerous word. I see no problem with having cultural traditions, dress,cooking etc. not everyone should automatically need to go to a college football game and eat hotdogs with beer. Howver, I draw the line at Sharia Law

Old 06-01-2017, 11:17 AM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
How is assimilation "a dangerous word"?

No one is telling people that they can't keep their cultural traditions. It becomes a problem when individual groups start demanding that our public schools follow those traditions or they demand that their workplaces accommodate their native customs. If that is done for one group, then others start demanding that it be done for their group.

If a group wants their children to learn their traditions, it's up to the parents to teach them, as well as their religious institutions. For example, where we live, Koreans have created private after school programs for their kids. The kids learn to read, write and speak Korean plus learn Korean customs. This is where such programs belong---not in our public schools.

There are Americans whose families go back many generations who don't go to college football games and eat hotdogs with beer. You make it sound like assimilation means forcing people to do that. It isn't. Assimilation means learning the native language and customs and adhering to them. Why move to another country and refuse to assimilate?

Old 06-01-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
How is assimilation "a dangerous word"?

No one is telling people that they can't keep their cultural traditions. It becomes a problem when individual groups start demanding that our public schools follow those traditions or they demand that their workplaces accommodate their native customs. If that is done for one group, then others start demanding that it be done for their group.

If a group wants their children to learn their traditions, it's up to the parents to teach them, as well as their religious institutions. For example, where we live, Koreans have created private after school programs for their kids. The kids learn to read, write and speak Korean plus learn Korean customs. This is where such programs belong---not in our public schools.

There are Americans whose families go back many generations who don't go to college football games and eat hotdogs with beer. You make it sound like assimilation means forcing people to do that. It isn't. Assimilation means learning the native language and customs and adhering to them. Why move to another country and refuse to assimilate?
What I'm saying is assimilation is dangerous when it becomes that, nobody's traditions but our own. Learning the Native language is important but not mandatory. I do agree that parents are the ones who should teach them or perhaps have cultural days at school where kids can teach others about their traditions. I do believe that anything religious should be accommodated within reason (i.e. Let them take time to pray but a specific room isn't necessary)

Many see assimilation as leave your traditions at the door. That can become a problem.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:15 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
That is my opinion, how about you?
Attachment 185487
Very true. The biggest example is Europe and the media won't show you how bad it really is.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:18 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily87 View Post
What I'm saying is assimilation is dangerous when it becomes that, nobody's traditions but our own. Learning the Native language is important but not mandatory. I do agree that parents are the ones who should teach them or perhaps have cultural days at school where kids can teach others about their traditions. I do believe that anything religious should be accommodated within reason (i.e. Let them take time to pray but a specific room isn't necessary)

Many see assimilation as leave your traditions at the door. That can become a problem.
IF someone has a better idea about how to do things, many times that'll become an "American" way of rolling.

Old 06-01-2017, 08:24 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Ive seen anti Trump protests in Los Angeles where Mexican flags are flown .

Old 06-02-2017, 03:06 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,253,631 times
The problem is that many do not wish to assimilate instead they want to make America Mexico. I am not sure what is taught in Mexico but I am going to guess that Mexicans might be taught that the U.S. is actually their country, thus they are invading with the idea of taking it back.

At many protests you can see Mexican flags and signs worded like the one below.
Immigration without assimilation is not immigration it is an invasion-capture.jpg

Old 06-02-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Ive seen anti Trump protests in Los Angeles where Mexican flags are flown .
I don't see a problem with having ones country's flag, but in these situations I see the issue

Old 06-02-2017, 06:47 AM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
I see Mexico trying to "colonize" the US. It needs to be stopped!

'Make America Mexico Again': Why Americans are fed up with illegals | Fox News

Immigrating America Into A Colony Of Mexico
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration