U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-12-2008, 10:12 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785

Advertisements

Quote:
Vineyard Haven, Mass. - Future generations may look back on Iraq and immigration as the two great disasters of the Bush presidency. Ironically, for a conservative administration, both of these policy initiatives were rooted in a multicultural view of the world.

Since the 1960s, multiculturalism has become a dominant feature of the political and intellectual landscape of the West. But multiculturalism rests on a frail foundation: cultural relativism, the notion that no culture is better or worse than any other – it is merely different.
Yahoo News article (broken link)

The above confirms what I have been suspecting for a number of years now......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-12-2008, 10:22 PM
 
Location: California
1,268 posts, read 817,960 times
Reputation: 76
I believe ones Culture is mostly determined by how much money you make. If your a millionaire and have a really classy lady, you might skip the burger place and hit the fanciest restaurant in town. Your not going to go to Ross, your going to go to Banana Republic or other upscale clothing stores. Your not going to drive that used 1981 Nisaan Sentra, your going to drive a brand new 2008 Mercedes CLK Class. You probably won't have friends in the labor industry, your probably going to have friends who are doctors or professionals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2008, 11:52 PM
 
220 posts, read 336,096 times
Reputation: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Yahoo News article (broken link)

The above confirms what I have been suspecting for a number of years now......
Please don't take this the wrong way, but aren't you a huge pro-diversity multiculturalist yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2008, 07:36 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTex View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way, but aren't you a huge pro-diversity multiculturalist yourself?
Please explain.

If you read through my posts; I am quote anti illegal immigration and I believe in the use of the English language here in the USA-------not Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2008, 07:49 AM
 
220 posts, read 336,096 times
Reputation: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Please explain.

If you read through my posts; I am quote anti illegal immigration and I believe in the use of the English language here in the USA-------not Spanish.
Just because someone wants to end illegal immigration and force the new arrivals to learn English doesn't mean that they can't also be multiculturalists.

Multiculturalists are basically people who are comfortable with the wide-ranging cultural diversity, which is currently present in America. In fact, many multiculturalists take it a step further and say that this wide-ranging cultural diversity is one of our greatest strengths! On the other hand, Americans who are not multiculturalists would like to see our diverse population conform to a single American culture (a goal that we are very far away from).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2008, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTex View Post
Just because someone wants to end illegal immigration and force the new arrivals to learn English doesn't mean that they can't also be multiculturalists.

Multiculturalists are basically people who are comfortable with the wide-ranging cultural diversity, which is currently present in America. In fact, many multiculturalists take it a step further and say that this wide-ranging cultural diversity is one of our greatest strengths! On the other hand, Americans who are not multiculturalists would like to see our diverse population conform to a single American culture (a goal that we are very far away from).
Being punctual at work (read that showing up within a certain time frame), being frugal, sobriety, not starting fights/brawls for no reason, education, the rule of law, etc.--------those tend to be hallmarks of stereotypical American culture

That is one huge reason that the Japanese immigrants 100 years ago did so well in this country-------their overall social mores were very closely aligned with the 'WASP' work ethic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2008, 10:41 AM
 
1,861 posts, read 2,968,014 times
Reputation: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Being punctual at work (read that showing up within a certain time frame), being frugal, sobriety, not starting fights/brawls for no reason, education, the rule of law, etc.--------those tend to be hallmarks of stereotypical American culture

That is one huge reason that the Japanese immigrants 100 years ago did so well in this country-------their overall social mores were very closely aligned with the 'WASP' work ethic.
I totally agree that OUR culture is the best for US, not some multicultural mish-mash "accepting" ALL cultures' features, even if they're bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2008, 11:22 AM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,617,384 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Being punctual at work (read that showing up within a certain time frame), being frugal, sobriety, not starting fights/brawls for no reason, education, the rule of law, etc.--------those tend to be hallmarks of stereotypical American culture

That is one huge reason that the Japanese immigrants 100 years ago did so well in this country-------their overall social mores were very closely aligned with the 'WASP' work ethic.
Well stated. There are differing levels of culture. The "food, music, festivals, and dress" level we can deal with....as we can with the "skin color" differences. THese make life interesting.

What we CAN'T deal with, even if we THINK we can, is the "core values" level of multiculturalism. Culture, by definition, includes not only 'taste', but morals, ethics, one's view of himself, the relationship between the sexes, between parent and child, and one's relationship with, and place in, society itself.

Respect for rule of law is not 'negotiable', not if we want to have a free society. Neither are 'women's rights', the forbidding of 'private acts of revenge', sex with children, or religious rights. If we start going "multicultural" on THESE things, disaster will soon follow--either an unending series of nasty cultural 'flame wars', or the imposition of an all-encompassing 'big brother' government, which will be the only way to MAKE us 'keep our hands off each other'. THe world is littered with the wreckage of countries done in by their OWN citizens, unable to tolerate each others' cultures...

Cultures, in and of themselves, are inherently conflicting and exclusive of each other--some of them VIOLENTLY exclusive. Multiple cultures work OK across oceans or borders. They DO NOT work across streets, or across backyard fences. That just won't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2008, 11:32 AM
 
220 posts, read 336,096 times
Reputation: 110
Default Ahem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Being punctual at work (read that showing up within a certain time frame), being frugal, sobriety, not starting fights/brawls for no reason, education, the rule of law, etc.--------those tend to be hallmarks of stereotypical American culture
I disagree, those are hallmarks of a decent society. Cultural attributes are qualities which usually run deeper (such as a common religious faith) than mere politeness and a sound work ethic.

When you get right down to it, the subtext of what you're implicitly saying is that we can be a multicultural [diverse] society so long as that we're a decent, hard-working society. In my opinion this is still a variant of the mainstream multicultural consensus.

Irrespective of our disagreements, I would like to stress that I do think you're heart is in the right place on issues pertaining to this immigration forum. If more people thought as you do then our problems wouldn't be so great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2008, 11:34 AM
 
Location: 32°19'03.7"N 106°43'55.9"W
7,962 posts, read 16,778,503 times
Reputation: 6912
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Yahoo News article (broken link)

The above confirms what I have been suspecting for a number of years now......
Bookmarked...

That's a very significant article. Thanks Arizona Bear for that riveting read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top