Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 09:59 PM

1,289 posts, read 938,405 times

Advertisements

Back when border crossings were high and getting higher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysmg...ature=youtu.be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 06:49 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Tear down this wall and read my lips.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:00 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times
I 100% agree with Reagan... And George H.W Bush for that matter.

While I do think we need to curb the amount of illegal immigrants arriving, for those already here (who have not committed crimes beyond coming here undocumented) there should be an easier, more affordable way to make them legal, tax paying citizens. I am even in favor of not allowing them to be eligible for government benefits such as SNAP or even the EITC for x amount of years after becoming legal.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:09 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
Back when border crossings were high and getting higher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysmg...ature=youtu.be
In 1982, SCOTUS struck down a Texas statute that limited public education of children of illegal aliens, regardless of where they were born, to those who paid tuition. The fee at that time was $1000 per student.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:14 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post

While I do think we need to curb the amount of illegal immigrants arriving, for those already here (who have not committed crimes beyond coming here undocumented) there should be an easier, more affordable way to make them legal, tax paying citizens. I am even in favor of not allowing them to be eligible for government benefits such as SNAP or even the EITC for x amount of years after becoming legal.
Sound fine except no citizenship. They can't be rewarded with citizenship when they cut the line.

That only encourages more illegal immigration.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:37 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Sound fine except no citizenship. They can't be rewarded with citizenship when they cut the line.

Legal status, in order for them to be legally able to work and therefore pay taxes, should however be a goal.

I don't think citizenship should be entirely off the board for illegal immigrants, but it should be something like 15 years after legal status is obtained.

I also think that ICE should focus more on punishing and fining the companies that employ illegal/undocumented immigrants, than the immigrants themselves.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:46 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post

Whether it is citizenship or green card, I think the US govt. is capable of making it clear that illegal immigration will not be tolerated in the future and can formalize a policy and statement that makes it clear that whatever path to citizenship provided to Dreamers/DACA and others that have been here for years & allowed to stay does NOT apply to future illegals..or even folks who came in the last 5 years or whatever.

In addition to the DACA/Dreamers...there are many illegals who have been here for 30 years or more. Some of them are known to ICE authorities and have 'regular' checks in required. They go show up -- and are told -- okay - not going to deport you - come back in six months or a year whatever.

Those people who have been strung along for years , if they are working, have no violent criminal record, should be put in the system for legal status.

Th federal governments over the years, state governments and local governments have ALLOWED illegal immigration to exist.

I do believe it is possible to process the illegal residents here now and discourage and ban new illegal residents from being allowed to live here.

There is a way without leaving the doors opened to future illegal residents.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:49 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Legal status, in order for them to be legally able to work and therefore pay taxes, should however be a goal.

I don't think citizenship should be entirely off the board for illegal immigrants, but it should be something like 15 years after legal status is obtained.

I also think that ICE should focus more on punishing and fining the companies that employ illegal/undocumented immigrants, than the immigrants themselves.
I agree.

ICE is as guilty of allowing illegal immigration by having folks 'check in' and deferring the deportation.

People have been strung along for so long. That's not right.

Sure they initially are guilty of being here illegally but it is implied it is 'okay' if you don't enforce the laws on the books.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:56 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,087,126 times
Quote:

Thank you.

Illegal immigration is the biggest political issue for me personally. That said, people who are already here and have been here for years, that work hard and don't commit crimes, I'm all for them being allowed to stay and become legal, tax paying citizens.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:20 AM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:

I disagree, and they aren't undocumented they are illegal aliens. They need to return to their homelands and apply to come back legally and within our annual quotas and based on whether or not we actually need them. They need to wait their turn in line behind those already applying in their countries. The process doesn't begin on our soil. We tried amnesty back in 1986 and now we have at least quadruple the number of illegal aliens here today. Rewarding law breaking just encourages more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration