Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 07:45 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"This wall works," Bernacke said. "A lot of people have the misconception that it is a waste of time and money, but the numbers of apprehensions show that it works."
Arizona Republic article

Interesting; although I have been hearing quite a bit of scuttlebutt about how the Yuma sector is being avoided by more and more illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 12:44 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,872,703 times
Default Tunnels?

Tunnels?

Even if the illegals can't cross the fence under or over it they will cross at border crossings in the backs of trucks. That is how many of my friends came into the US. They don't stop every truck that crosses and the coyotes know this, much in the same way for importing drugs into the US, though I would argue illegals are much better to import than drugs.

Point is, so long as things are bad in Mexico, people will find ways to come here.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Tunnels?

Even if the illegals can't cross the fence under or over it they will cross at border crossings in the backs of trucks. That is how many of my friends came into the US. They don't stop every truck that crosses and the coyotes know this, much in the same way for importing drugs into the US, though I would argue illegals are much better to import than drugs.

Point is, so long as things are bad in Mexico, people will find ways to come here.
I suspect that the Border Patrol among other government agencies have 'ways' of determining the presense of tunnels.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:56 PM

Default Tunnels okay, trucks?

How about semi trucks loaded with illegals?

Old 04-01-2008, 12:56 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
borders are boundaries. they are not impregnable but applied, they work --hence the enormous political resistance to the s. cal fencing job. FYI 80% of all illegal immigration comes thru san ysidro.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:12 PM

If we used the methods the East Germans used the wall would work even better. Clearly, that isn't going to happen. You are not going to see the US govt machine gunning those crossing over, though you have to agree it certainly would act as a strong deterrant.

People are going to come over, one way or another. I do agree that a wall will slow them down. Perhaps, that is the best you can hope for, to stem the tide of illegal immigration.

And please note that I am a white guy in Chicago with lots of illegals for friends and neighbors. I am not really opposed to them being here. I would much rather pay $4 for a value meal than $5 if we paid Americans to do the work.

Also, there are a lot of illegals that are great people and contribute to our society. My friend Laura is 39 years old, from Jalisco (Guadalajara) and came here in 2000, knowing no English along with her now 14 year old daughter. Both are now fluent in English and she works as a supervisor for a company that does post commercial construction clean-up work. I think the country (and me) is better off for her being in this country. You guys can go and do your talk about exporting her and her 14 year old daughter and what not, but if you try to send them back you would have to get past me and my friends first, which you are in no position to do.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:50 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,106,931 times
Click here. Then click Mexico's free enterprise on the right side of the page. Lol
www.bajasundog.com

Old 04-01-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
If we used the methods the East Germans used the wall would work even better. Clearly, that isn't going to happen. You are not going to see the US govt machine gunning those crossing over, though you have to agree it certainly would act as a strong deterrant.

People are going to come over, one way or another. I do agree that a wall will slow them down. Perhaps, that is the best you can hope for, to stem the tide of illegal immigration.

And please note that I am a white guy in Chicago with lots of illegals for friends and neighbors. I am not really opposed to them being here. I would much rather pay $4 for a value meal than $5 if we paid Americans to do the work.

Also, there are a lot of illegals that are great people and contribute to our society. My friend Laura is 39 years old, from Jalisco (Guadalajara) and came here in 2000, knowing no English along with her now 14 year old daughter. Both are now fluent in English and she works as a supervisor for a company that does post commercial construction clean-up work. I think the country (and me) is better off for her being in this country. You guys can go and do your talk about exporting her and her 14 year old daughter and what not, but if you try to send them back you would have to get past me and my friends first, which you are in no position to do.
For the record: ICE can take down you and your friends if they find out you are harboring illegals.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:55 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,094,122 times
He never said he was harboring Illegals. ICE is normally used for drugs.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:15 PM

Default Arizona Bear

My friend Laura does not live with me. I would not knowingly harbor illegals. That would be stupid and I could be held liable.

If you think you can come to Chicago and just start rounding up illegals with your minutemen buddies you are sadly mistaken. Chicago PD and Mayor Daley will shut you down before you take one step. Many Chicago PD have family who are illegals. Do you really think they are going to let you come into our city and take their families away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration