Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 04:00 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times

Advertisements

I was always for this fence.....till I saw a documentary about it. Most of us speak from hundreds if not a thousand miles from this border. But people on both sides of this border are quite friendly. They regularly cross the border for all their daily needs without fear of government intervention. They call themselve sister towns.

Of course the producers of this documentary can show only people whos opinions reflect what they want. But the majority of people living on these border towns do not want this wall. They interviewed fisherman on the USA side who make their living fishing the big river that divides the countries. They took us the viewer for a ride on the river. The beauty was awesome. The next question is: Do we want to build a 20' wall to hide and cover up forever that natural beauty?

Anyway Im not so sure I want that fence anymore. Those people are right. We should not cover up natures beauty.

I know I know I know but how do we stop all the illegals swimming over the border...... well there many more answers to that question but I just wanted to show the side of those border towns who dont want the fence.

Besides........if there is a wall, all they have to do is fly into Canada and walk over that border which is the longest unprotected country border in the world. They can even take a boat and float around the wall. Or dig under it.

Will this wall work? Nothing bush does works..including himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 04:10 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Will this wall work? Nothing bush does works..including himself.
Let's not turn this into a "Bush bashing" thread - OK?

Fact is, border states, and border towns, have been really harmed by illegal immigration -

AND, the original proposal for the fence, did not come from Bush - it came from Gov. Richardson of New Mexico (Democrat), Gov. Napalitano of Arizona (Democrat) and Gov Arnold of California (Republican).

They were joined by Governors of many other states, on both sides of the political spectrum, recommending the fence. The President agreed with them.

Frankly, the sections of fence along the Arizona border HAS SLOWED the number of illegals coming across in the "Yuma" sector per the Border Patrol. It has had a positive impact.

Finish the fence.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:19 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,094,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

Fact is, border states, and border towns, have been really harmed by illegal immigration -

AND, the original proposal for the fence, did not come from Bush - it came from Gov. Richardson of New Mexico (Democrat), Gov. Napalitano of Arizona (Democrat) and Gov Arnold of California (Republican).

They were joined by Governors of many other states, on both sides of the political spectrum, recommending the fence. The President agreed with them.

Frankly, the sections of fence along the Arizona border HAS SLOWED the number of illegals coming across in the "Yuma" sector per the Border Patrol. It has had a positive impact.

Finish the fence.
I live in a Border town and I have not been hurt one bit by the "Illegals".
If and that is a big word, IF our goverment would work with the Mexican goverment and make it possible for those"illegals" to come over and work and go home it would help. The fence will not stop them, if you were desperate would it stop you??

Old 04-01-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:

Finish the fence.
Even if we build this fence, I have seen pics of the completed portion. It is nothing more then corrugated galvanized steel that looks to be about 8' tall. Every 8-10' is what looks to be a steel I-beam which is probably in the ground 2' or so and burried into a concrete footing. Im guessing these building/construction techniques based on my lifetime of extensive construction experience.

From what I see, even todays athletic incompetent kids can climb something like that. Hell just one person can lock his fingers and the next guy can use it as a step and get the boost needed to reach the top. Are we to assume that because there is a fence then there are no Border Patrol in the fenced area?

Isn't that all desert? Soft ground? Im guessing this fence is 2' under ground. If that is the case I can dig under that using a stick I break off a tree. How deep is it? We all have seen the videos of the tunnels discovered. Some of them were built by people that had to have an education in engineering. These tunnels were quite elaborate. Some say with the knowlege it took to master mind these tunnels, why did he have to sneak over the border....because America as well as many other countries need good Engineers. In fact Canada waves all immigration rules if you fit this catagory.

Finally, like someone else just said. If you want to get past that wall, you will get past that wall whether it be over, under or through, but you will get past it if it means earning money to feed your family.

Dont get me wrong. I do not want them people here unless they do it the LEGAL way like the rest of us.

And finally yet !!!!!!!!! LEARN TO SPEAK ENGLISH OR STAY where you came from !!!!!!!!!

Old 04-01-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
I live in a Border town and I have not been hurt one bit by the "Illegals".
If and that is a big word, IF our goverment would work with the Mexican goverment and make it possible for those"illegals" to come over and work and go home it would help. The fence will not stop them, if you were desperate would it stop you??
sassy, would you mind giving us a little info/story on the life of living in a border town and your interaction with the Mexicans? I know you said you have not been hurt one bit but is there anything good or bad and how does it affects you? Do most of them speak English like I hear they do? Because the ones who move north dont. Do most of us on our side speak Spanish?

Just curious and this might shed some light on the way we feel.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
sassy, would you mind giving us a little info/story on the life of living in a border town and your interaction with the Mexicans? I know you said you have not been hurt one bit but is there anything good or bad and how does it affects you? Do most of them speak English like I hear they do? Because the ones who move north dont. Do most of us on our side speak Spanish?

Just curious and this might shed some light on the way we feel.
With them being in Arizona, it has not affected me one way or the other.
I notice them by how they are dressed. The ones that I have seen at the Nogales border are the one's that have been returned.

Most all of the ones I have talked to have spoken english that are in Arizona.
I have formed friendships with the Mexicans in Mexico. The shop owners and restraunts. I'm not saying all are good anymore than all Americans are good.
For the most part they are very loving and giving people, even if they do not have a lot to give. They enjoy it when you do speak to them in Spanish.
I have no fear of them, I could walk all over Nogales and feel perfectly safe.
There have been some horrible things done to them after they are in the desert. It is against the law to transport them even for medical reasons.
It is not against the law to offer them food and water.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:40 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,478,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
With them being in Arizona, it has not affected me one way or the other.
I notice them by how they are dressed. The ones that I have seen at the Nogales border are the one's that have been returned.

Most all of the ones I have talked to have spoken english that are in Arizona.
I have formed friendships with the Mexicans in Mexico. The shop owners and restraunts. I'm not saying all are good anymore than all Americans are good.
For the most part they are very loving and giving people, even if they do not have a lot to give. They enjoy it when you do speak to them in Spanish.
I have no fear of them, I could walk all over Nogales and feel perfectly safe.
There have been some horrible things done to them after they are in the desert. It is against the law to transport them even for medical reasons.
It is not against the law to offer them food and water.

This is not true. The Border Patrol routinely carries water and illegal immigrants in need of medical care are transported to the nearest hospital.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
This is not true. The Border Patrol routinely carries water and illegal immigrants in need of medical care are transported to the nearest hospital.
Read my post again, I never mentioned the border patrol.
I said it is not against the law to give them food and water.
It is against the law to transport them. (unless you are the border patrol),
The border patrol is not always around. so someone else gives them food and water.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:42 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
The Bush administration plans to use its authority to bypass more than 30 laws and regulations in an effort to finish building 670 miles of fence along the southwest U.S. border by the end of this year, federal officials said Tuesday
Sounds like GOOD NEWS to me, Greatday!

Old 04-01-2008, 09:00 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,749,490 times
It's about time they got it done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration